Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Games consoles.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right well... basically, I'm looking into getting my boyfriend a games consol for Christmas.

I am not a technical girl. I bought the mini PS1 when I was like 13 because it was on offer and cute. I still play this 5 years on. I still struggle to complete the games. :blush:

Now my boyfriends not a BIG gamer, but he does (and would) enjoy them, and he messes about with me on two player games when we've used other peoples. I don't want to get him anything that's ridiculously none useful anymore, but I can't afford the earth either, especially as I'd want to buy him a game or 2 as well. (And I've seen the cost of them :shocking: You can get a game for my little PS1 for £5 if you look hard enough, £15 if you're unlucky!!!)

So, if you were me with a bit more knowledge, which console would you look into?

Comments

• Options
    Well the best console at the moment is the Xbox 360 but then that's very expensive at the moment and if he's not a big gamer and you don't wanna spend too much then maybe that's not such a good idea. Buy him a normal Xbox, still a very good console with good graphics and good games, better than the PS2 in my opinion and it'll be fairly cheap because the 360 has just been released.
  • Options
    Hmm but is the normal Xbox going to be disappearing in a few months time because of the newer one, kinda thing. I don't want to buy him something he wont be able to buy new things for by next Christmas haha.
  • Options
    Get a dreamcast along with shenmue, chu chu rocket, sonic and dead or alive 2. maybe even house of the dead and a light gun.

This console is pretty old now so you could probably get all of these mentioned for about 50 quid! :thumb:
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Get a dreamcast along with shenmue, chu chu rocket, sonic and dead or alive 2.

:eek2:

I'm sorry, in English? :)
  • Options
  • Options
    id say a nintendo DS (the gameboys replacement) its pretty cheap about now.
    I suppose a gameboy would even fit the bill.
  • Options
    id say a nintendo DS (the gameboys replacement) its pretty cheap about now.

Ahh see I'd want an actual, attached to tv console. (I actually know what a DS is shockingly, thanks to little cousins and their Nintendogs games. I want one!)

Though if I got desprate I suppose it'd be a viable alternative - it is a complete surprise present after all so there's no false expectations behind it.
  • Options
    PS2? I think you can play PS1 games on there as well?
  • Options
    I'd think again tbh. Unless you wanna fork out big bucks on an X360, or buy last-gen consoles, then you're pretty stuck.

The Nintendo Wii has just come out, and it'd be perfect for what you're after. Unfortunately, demand is far outsripping supply at this point, so you'd be pretty hard pushed to find one. Wait till a wee bit after Christmas, then snap one up for him.
  • Options
    Get a Dreamcast and loads of games. They were cracking consoles - some great games were made for it, and you'll probably find one with a dozen games for £50 or so :).

Won't get anything new for it, but does it matter? Better off getting something older and having loads of games than the latest and greatest with a couple of games if neither of you are hardcore gamers... IMO :).
  • Options
    I'd think again tbh. Unless you n wanna fork out big bucks on an X360, or buy last-gen concoles, then you're pretty stuck.

Tbh, I don't know what I want. That's why I'm asking here, until about 3 hours ago I wasn't aware there was more than one type of Xbox, or that there are different coloured/sized playstations. So which is good/value for money or not goes straight over my head, because the only people I know who'd be of any use are my boyfriends mates. Who will go straight up to him and ask "WHICH WOULD YOU WANT OFF NIKKI FOR CHRISTMAS" because love the dearly as I do, they're not subtle. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'd go for the Wii then. If he's not a serious gamer then theres no point paying all that money for a 360. And again, theres no real point in buy an old console and it's back catalogue, unless he knows what he wants and likes.

Only problem is I very, very much doubt you'd get one for Christmas. Which might make you want to buy something else :p
  • Options

Only problem is I very, very much doubt you'd get one for Christmas. Which might make you want to buy something else :p

Since it's for Christmas then probably :p. His birthday's no where near so that's not much use either haha.
  • Options
    well if thats the case, try a gamecube?
  • Options
    Right. I've been searching (god love Ebay)... is a new, sealed Xbox (just normal Xbox) for £55.00 a bit of a bargain? Or too much of a bargain? (as in, am I likely to be ripped off?)
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote:
    Since it's for Christmas then probably :p. His birthday's no where near so that's not much use either haha.

Understandable like. The Gamecube's a good idea, it's just what if he doesn't like the games, then what? It's not like there's gonna be new games out for it every week, so if you can't find any games that he'll like, then it's kinda pointless.
  • Options
    Understandable like. The Gamecube's a good idea, it's just what if he doesn't like the games, then what? It's not like there's gonna be new games out for it every week, so if you can't find any games that he'll like, then it's kinda pointless.

This is the point. Is the original Xbox also going to be like that any time soon? I mean, I've seen Xbox games in the shops, but I don't know how common everything is. :crying: Bloody Christmas!
  • Options
    hm. a mega drive or super nintendo or N64 couldn't hurt.
    all real cheap games are like £1 each and consoles are around £20
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote:
    This is the point. Is the original Xbox also going to be like that any time soon? I mean, I've seen Xbox games in the shops, but I don't know how common everything is. :crying: Bloody Christmas!

Yup. After Christmas I wouldn't expect many new games tbh, if any. The odd one or 2 at most.
  • Options
    Yup. After Christmas I wouldn't expect many new games tbh, if any. The odd one or 2 at most.

Don't necessarily have to be new... just wouldn't want games disappearing from shelves. Oh I don't know, he might just have to have some socks.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Get a dreamcast along with shenmue, chu chu rocket, sonic and dead or alive 2. maybe even house of the dead and a light gun.

This console is pretty old now so you could probably get all of these mentioned for about 50 quid! :thumb:
    Sonic. :yes:

The best game to ever grace a console.
  • Options
    Hmm, I woulden't get an xbox, they're pretty cack nowadays (Unless you buy him a modchip, But you'd have to be technically minded to install it)

I'd go for a nintendo DS, they're not too pricey, they're not too pricey and there's a decent collection of games.

A Wii would be ideal but i'm not sure how much of a chance you'll have to get one of those for christmas :-P
  • Options
    Get a PS2.

It's had the best year of all the consoles so far, with Bully, Guitar Hero, Yakuza....and in the releases at the start of 2007 are really strong: God Hand, Okami, God of War 2....

The original Xbox is pretty much dead now. It's got a strong back catalogue though. Games will still be on the shelf but they'll slowly disappear in the next few months.
  • Options
    I think as a rule Nintendos are best for 'casual gamers', they have virtually no loading times, and the games are fairly 'light' too. The Wii would be good, though it would be at the ceiling of your price and it's not likely you'll get one. A gamecube would be great, seriously playing with 2 or more people is fantastic, because the games aren't all serious gritty shooters (with an analogue stick isn't really worth the hassle). Get Donkey Konga :D. The gamecube is really suited to people who just like a casual play, only a few buttons and most of it is just bash bash bash till you win :)

http://video-games.search.ebay.co.uk/gamecube_Nintendo-GameCube_W0QQfromZR34QQsacatZ20391

They're literally giving them away. One with 22 games is going to go for <£100 with 3 control pads and donkey konga with the BONGOS :D

Trust me, it'll be well worth it :)
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly.

The PS2 now is small, cheap and often comes with 2 controllers in a bundle. Tons of games are available at the moment and you'll still get plenty of them until March where they'll be replaced gradually with those of the PS3 which costs a fortune. The Buzz quiz games and Singstar singing games are great fun if you like multiplayer stuff, and they're available on the PS2 only. If he likes long RPG's Final Fantasy XII and Rogue Galaxy are coming out on it soon. Also you'll find tons of pre-owned games for it in the shops.

Cheap, reliable and with good relative longevity and support.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Grand Turismo 4 yet. :heart: With a steering wheel, you enhance the experience incredibly (costs quite a sum though) and the game is just absolutely great.

Just a thought ... I think if you have the money, and the luck, giving him a Wii would really impress him. :)
  • Options
    I think he'd need a towel unless he's into kinky stuff like that :D

Literal as per usual. :razz:
  • Options
    If it's multiplayer and something that's a bit different your after, I can highly recommend a Wii. We've been playing golf and bowling all day, I've barely touched the other games that came with it, let alone the games I bought with it. Plus you can both share one controller to play them, so you don't have to go and fork out £45 quid more straight away for another controller.

It's well worth the extra effort to hunt one down.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I used to love the playstation but Xbox live is a tried, tested and very successful online service for the Xbox. This one factor meant the original xbox pissed all over the PS2. For this reason and the fact Halo is a superb online game I will be sticking with the XBox from now on.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    If you can't get a Wii I wouldn't bother tbh. The XBox 360 will cost a fortune, and most of the other consoles are going to become very dated, very soon - basically, they're all on their last legs. I wouldn't fancy forking cash out for them anyway, but if you really think that's what he would want, then I suppose you should go for it. My recommendation would be a mini PS2 - and if he likes football, get him pro evolution soccer 6! Though it may well be to the detriment of your relationship.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I used to love the playstation but Xbox live is a tried, tested and very successful online service for the Xbox. This one factor meant the original xbox pissed all over the PS2. For this reason and the fact Halo is a superb online game I will be sticking with the XBox from now on.

:thumb: Skive knows what the fuck he's talking about!

The Xbox is the way for you....or a 360, which by the way is amazing, if you don't mind spending a couple pf hundred quid! :razz: