Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

If there was a cartoon of Muhammad with an erection...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49925

Jesus_cross2.jpg

(Image censored by the above source).

There would have been riots. Just a good thing it's not Muhammad really or the university might have been burnt down.

Comments

• Options
    fuck off
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    fuck off

Another intelligent point. :thumb:

Are you offended by the image or something? I didn't know you were religious.
  • Options
    May not be wholly inaccurate representation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_erection
    death erection (sometimes referred to as "angel lust") is a post-mortem erection which occurs when a male individual dies vertically or face-down with the cadaver remaining in this position. During life, the pumping of blood by the heart ensures a relatively even distribution around the blood vessels of the human body. Once this mechanism has ended, only the force of gravity acts upon the blood. As with any mass, the blood settles at the lowest point of the body and causes edema or swelling to occur; the discoloration caused by this is called lividity.

If an individual dies vertically such as in a hanging, the blood will settle in the legs and pool at the feet. The pressure will be greatest as the weight of the blood pushes down. This causes the blood vessels and tissues in the feet to engorge to their greatest elastic capacity and hold the greatest volume of blood possible. This effect occurs right up the legs although to a lesser extent than the feet and is also notable at the waist.

The blood which remains in the torso attempts to move to a lower position due to gravity, and as the blood in the waist (which cannot move down due to the legs being full) causes the penis, consisting of erectile tissue, to fill with blood and expand. This is the death erection. As long as the body remains in this position the effect will continue.

I think there's also the difference between Christian and Moslem attitudes to representation of Mohammed and Jesus. My understanding that all representations of Mohammed are considered sacrilegous, whether they are meant to be satirical or praise him. Within Christianity there is no religous rule on pictures of Christ - it may be tasteless, but there is nothing in Christian thought which actively prohibits it.
  • Options
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49925

Jesus_cross2.jpg

(Image censored by the above source).

There would have been riots. Just a good thing it's not Muhammad really or the university might have been burnt down.
    It seems to me that most Muslims just like a riot no matter what. I hope Christians dont riot, because then the muslims can see what idiots they look like by rioting at any and everything.
  • Options
    The point of this thread is? :confused:

We all know that the immense, overwhelming majority of Muslims don't run riot or burn buildings.

Just as the immense, overwhelming majority of Christians don't plant bombs on abortion clinics or shoot doctors.

Are you trying to suggest any different? Or just stir a bit of shit?
  • Options
    Another intelligent point. :thumb:

Are you offended by the image or something? I didn't know you were religious.

You're (very) thinly veiled bigotry gets wearing after a while.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    It seems to me that most Muslims just like a riot no matter what. I hope Christians dont riot, because then the muslims can see what idiots they look like by rioting at any and everything.

You've asked "most Muslims" have you?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You've asked "most Muslims" have you?
    Wasn't there "alot" of Muslims rioting before?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    We all know that the immense, overwhelming majority of Muslims don't run riot or burn buildings.

Just as the immense, overwhelming majority of Christians don't plant bombs on abortion clinics or shoot doctors.

The latter minority that you describe is tiny whereas the former minority (as the cartoons controversy, Salmon Rushdie and other events have shown) is enormous.

There are many people who frequently equate Islamism with forms of Christianity that they dislike and imply that the extremism in Islam is equivalent to the extremism within Christianity. When generalising by contrasting the behaviour of many Christians to the behaviour of many Muslims that is clearly not the case.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Wasn't there "alot" of Muslims rioting before?

Before when?
  • Options
    The latter minority that you describe is tiny whereas the former minority (as the cartoons controversy, Salmon Rushdie and other events have shown) is enormous.

There are many people who frequently equate Islamism with forms of Christianity that they dislike and imply that the extremism in Islam is equivalent to the extremism within Christianity. When generalising by contrasting the behaviour of many Christians to the behaviour of many Muslims that is clearly not the case.

Hmmmmm. We're currently slaughtering people in Iraq in the name of Christianity.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Hmmmmm. We're currently slaughtering people in Iraq in the name of Christianity.

Are we? Despite what Ann Coulter says I'm pretty sure that's not our war aim.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Before when?
    The cartoon pics of Mohamid.
  • Options
    Are we? Despite what Ann Coulter says I'm pretty sure that's not our war aim.

Bush and Blair aren't Christian's? Right wing Christian theology doesn't influence Bush's agenda at all? You sure about that?
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    The cartoon pics of Mohamid.

That had "most Muslims" rioting did it? Do you know how many Muslims there are in the world?
  • Options
    Enormous compared with Christian fundies perhpas. But still a very, very, VERY small minority given that there are more than 1bn Muslims in the world.

Perhaps you should campaign for bigger and more violent Christian extremists- that way everyone would be happy and Christians wouldn't be left out.

Because every time a Christian takes offence at something and says ''I bet they wouldn't do that to the Muslims'' you can feel they're just wishing that Christians had a far more violent and proactive extremist division so people would not dare to speak ill of their faith.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The point of this thread is? :confused:

What's the point of this thread

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=106406

or this

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=106381

or this

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=106589

or this

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=102807

I could go. But Dis isn't the only person who starts a thread to make a political point is he?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Bush and Blair aren't Christian's? Right wing Christian theology doesn't influence Bush's agenda at all? You sure about that?

Irrelevant if they're Christians or not. Just because the majority on one side our Christians and the others are Moslems doesn't make mean that the war is in the name of Christianity.

I suspect Bush's agenda is more influenced by geostrategic considerations and also a wish to finish a job that his Dad didn't finish (and almost certainly influenced by Saddam's attempt to assissnate Bush Snr).

Blair's may be slightly more influenced by 'muscular Christianity'. Even before Iraq he had shown an inclination to send in troops to sort out despots and for a 'civilising' mission (re Kosovo and Sierra Leone). That said I suspect his main influence is the 'Special Relationship'.

Certainly I don't think either man feels that God would disapprove of their actions, but its a big jump to assume its motivated by Christianity (especially given many in Blair's Cabinet who supported the war are agnostic or atheist).
  • Options
    What's the point of this thread

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=106406

or this

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=106381

or this

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=106589

or this

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=102807

I could go. But Dis isn't the only person who starts a thread to make a political point is he?
    :confused:

What on earth have threds talking about current events got to do with a thread that name- drops a group that has fuck all to do with a story, for the sole purpose of smearing the said group?

Can't you really see the difference?
  • Options
    Flashmans ghost

I'm wondering why you think its irrelevant.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    :confused:

What on earth have threds talking about current events got to do with a thread that name- drops a group that has fuck all to do with a story, for the sole purpose of smearing the said group?

Can't you really see the difference?

No. I think Dis brings up a valid point. That's it seems alright to smear one religion, but when you smear another a bunch of reactionary zealots start screaming from the high heavens.

Admittedly I think Dis gets it wrong, because most of these zealots aren't in fact Moslems, but a rather so called left-wingers.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm wondering why you think its irrelevant.

I'm wondering why you think they're being slaughtered in the name of Christianity.
  • Options
    Bush and Blair are Christians. Its the moral framework they operate in. Not to mention the influence of Christian Zionism on the Bush administration.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Bush and Blair are Christians. Its the moral framework they operate in. Not to mention the influence of Christian Zionism on the Bush administration.

That's not the same thing as war in the name of Christianity.
  • Options
    No. I think Dis brings up a valid point. That's it seems alright to smear one religion
    What religion has been smeared, and by whom?
    but when you smear another a bunch of reactionary zealots start screaming from the high heavens.
    Er, no. Nobody has complained to my knowledge of anyone smearing, insulting or scorning the fanatics who burn embassies and wish death upon others.

People however tend to complain when there are attempts, subtle or otherwise, to tar all members of a religion with the same brush and pretend everyone (or even large numbers) from a certain faith are dangerous fundamentalists.

So what if a few deluded idiots would have tried to burn a building if someone had drawn Muhammad with a hard on? The immense majority of Muslims wouldn't. So the only logical explanation for the creation of this thread in my view is that Disillusioned is trying to tell us that fundie Muslims are more violent than Christian fundies. No argument there, and not exactly breaking news to anyone either.

Unless of course the purpose of the thread was completely different...
    Admittedly I think Dis gets it wrong, because most of these zealots aren't in fact Moslems, but a rather so called left-wingers.
    Yawn.
  • Options
    Its not far off.
  • Options
    No. I think Dis brings up a valid point. That's it seems alright to smear one religion, but when you smear another a bunch of reactionary zealots start screaming from the high heavens.

What on earth are you on about?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    fuck off

No comment
  • Options
    most of these zealots aren't in fact Moslems, but a rather so called left-wingers.

*yawn*
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Right wing Christian theology doesn't influence Bush's agenda at all?

Quite the opposite actually. Neo-cons essentially believe in a secular economic liberal world which is all part of the great globalisation scheme. Contrary to what people might think, it's an idealist philosophy, what's good for them is good for us. They thought that they could overthrow Sadam, install a democracy and that would help freer trade between the two countries (so the whole issue of oil must not be discounted.) Unfortunately, it all went belly up because it's these are the sort of ideals that really the Middle East don't want, their ideas of sovereignty are much stronger than ours, hence the hell hole Iraq is today.

Right wing Christain philosophy doesn't really play a part here.

As not to derail the thread, I think these pictures are stupid but I've seen them all before, I've heard all the jokes about Jesus. Dis put this in as a cheap shot on how Muslims tend to react much more vehemently to the desecration of their religion than Christains do. Whoop de doo, who cares?