Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Discontinued food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
On the back of the alphabetti spaghetti thread, what food or drink did you used to like, but they stopped making it?

When I was younger you could get sachets of powder that you mixed with water and it made about a litre of drink, different fruit flavours. It was called Rise and Shine and I loved it. I have no idea when that stopped making it because I just noticed one day that no-one sold it anymore.

Ooh, there were also these cheesy triangle things I used to like, I think they were made of potato and cheese shaped in a triangle and coated in breadcrumbs. They were frozen and you fried them. I think they might have had the imaginitive name of "cheesies". :D

Comments

• Options
    They have that in the US, its called Kool Aid and you can dye your hair with it.
  • Options
    Yes, I know all about Kool Aid. Someone helpfully sent my kids some once and it stained my worktop red, I had a hell of a job to remove it, even with bleach. :/

I didn't let them drink anymore after that.

There was also a purely citrus flavoured version over here called Appeal, it was marketed as a breakfast drink.
  • Options
    I remember Rise and Shine and the cheesy things. There were some crisps, well corn snacks really, called Spinetinglers when i was a kid. Salt n Vinegar rib cages, Cheese and Onion ghosts, Tomato, or may have been smokey bacon, vampire bats :D Oh and Haunted House ice lollies.

*thinks this may well decend into the good old 'I remember them' kinda thread* :)
  • Options
    Kool aid has just reminded me. Anyone remember a diet thing called Ayds ? It was like a cube of squishy toffee that was supposed to help supress your appetite. It came with the logo, Ayds can help you lose weight, how true that is now !
  • Options
    I don't whether these have been discontiued but I haven't seen them around for a while...

3D Doritos
    Teddy bear ice lollies from the Ice cream van :yum:
    Lucky Charms (cereals) with the little marshmallowy shapes in, They were soooooo nice, I was gutted when they dissappeared off the shelves! :crying:
  • Options
    Lucky Charms (cereals) with the little marshmallowy shapes in, They were soooooo nice, I was gutted when they dissappeared off the shelves! :crying:

You can get them in Selfridges, imported from America. Only £6.99p a box :eek:
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    There were some crisps, well corn snacks really, called Spinetinglers when i was a kid. Salt n Vinegar rib cages, Cheese and Onion ghosts, Tomato, or may have been smokey bacon, vampire bats

The bats were bacon flavour, I remember taking them to school. I thought they weer called Horror Bags. :D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    You can get them in Selfridges, imported from America. Only £6.99p a box :eek:

:eek2: \ :yippe:
    Good job Xmas is coming up then!
    You've made my day anyway telling me that! Thanks! :D
  • Options
    Just remembered I used to like Saucy Spuds. They were little cubes of potato in tomato sauce, like spaghetti sauce, in a tin.

Which in turn reminds me of something you used to be able to get when I was a kid, Saucy Sponge! It came in all different flavours and you mixed it with water, bunged it in the oven and it separated itself out into a sponge on the top and a sauce underneath. Magic to an 8 year old!
  • Options
    Ice Magic. Chocolate sauce for ice cream that went hard when you put it on ice cream. You can get something similar i think.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Lucky Charms :(
  • Options
    Sainsbury's sausage lattice pie
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Zap Ice creams
    Jaw Breakers and Eye Poppers.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I used to pick all the lucky charms out, and leave the plain cereal for my brothers heh heh :D
  • Options
    I used to pick all the lucky charms out, and leave the plain cereal for my brothers heh heh :D

My sister did that and I always would get so mad. But lucky charms are still around, bought some just last month :confused: And now they have chocolate lucky charms and they are delicious. And if I'm not mistaken they have berry lucky charms now too... or that could have just been a dream.

I really can't think of any food I used to eat thats discontinued... Usually if I think something is discontinued I just need to look a bit harder and its still there.

War heads maybe. I havn't seen those, but I havn't looked either, I just thought of them.
  • Options
    I remember Heinz did a sandwich spread I used to live on when I was younger, made the best turkey sandwiches so it did :(
  • Options
    not particularly interesting, but they dont sell creamed sweetcorn in sainsburys any more... which is odd :chin:
  • Options
    Anyone remember the monster munch thread?
    Well they listened and brought back the Roast Beef flavour!

What about the Smokey bacon one's though :(
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    My sister did that and I always would get so mad. But lucky charms are still around, bought some just last month :confused: And now they have chocolate lucky charms and they are delicious. And if I'm not mistaken they have berry lucky charms now too... or that could have just been a dream.

I really can't think of any food I used to eat thats discontinued... Usually if I think something is discontinued I just need to look a bit harder and its still there.

War heads maybe. I havn't seen those, but I havn't looked either, I just thought of them.

OMG Chocolate lucky charms sound heavenly, I want some!! :banghead:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:

Too much Sugar for us Brits so they stopped selling them over here. You yanks still have them though.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

Not really surprising when you have supermarkets the size of a medium town and whole isles of them devoted to 'salty snacks'. Where else in the world can you buy car tyres, clothes and virtually every processed food ever invented.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Not really surprising when you have supermarkets the size of a medium town and whole isles of them devoted to 'salty snacks'. Where else in the world can you buy car tyres, clothes and virtually every processed food ever invented.

The cereal isle is better :p
    And the cookie isle
    And the frozen pizza isle...
    Though the salty snacks one... they call it the chips ilse round my way... a whole isle of chips :yum:
    Sorry, I'm bored :(
  • Options
    coleslaw dressing
  • Options
    both sainsburies and tescos don't sell parmesan unless it's fresh anymore. they used to sell the longer life stuff that was kept on the normal shelves. not sure if it's an all supermarkets thing.
  • Options
    Haha I used to do that too :D
  • Options
    Cinamon toast crunch, cinamon flavoured pop tarts, smores flavoured pop tarts (actualy you might not even be able to get pop tarts any more or it could be that i never buy cereals)

Jolly ranchers.

Those kind of triangular shaped orange drinks that you could freeze.

In sainsburys they used to do these kits which had all you needed in them to make a great home cooked meal - a bit like the cook range you now get in M&S but they would have the whole lot in so a chunk of meat, some sauce, some vegetables and some kind of potatoe or rice stuff and possibly a starter - they were great I don't know why they stopped doing them.

I am sure there are loads more but i can't think of them at the moment.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Zap Ice creams.
    :yum: I used to love those!
    Things i can remember:

Big breakfast flavour golden wonder crisps.
    Jolly ranchers.
    Nerds.
    (Cant remember the name of them but) long chewits with either sour or popping candy bits in them i cant remember which.
    Chips with tomato sauce in the middle of them.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Those kind of triangular shaped orange drinks that you could freeze.
    You can still get those in Tesco, above the freezers :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
  • Options
    I remember you used too be able to get burgers that were 2 burgers together with cheese inside, also I used too love these pizzas that were cheese and apple flavour!!