Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How long do you normally go out...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
with someone before having sex with them?
I'm just wondering what people would consider as being 'sluty' etc. or if some just have sex straight away in the relationship and build up the emotional side later etc?.
your views?

Comments

• Options
    Have sex with them whenever you feel like. I couldn't give a fuck if people think i'm 'slutty'. We're all adults with adult needs. Maybe it's different for women though. ???
  • Options
    well im only wondering because guys always want sex almost straight away but then i was worried that if i sleep with them say on the 2nd or 3rd date if they would think i'm a 'slut' and have no respect for me and just use me rather than like me for me
    they always act as if everyone sleeps with them straight away and they expect that but im not so sure...
  • Options
    I don't have a time limit, I've done the deed the first time I've met blokes, and I've waited a couple of weeks beforehand with others. Never managed to wait any longer than that really, and neither would I want to. There's nothing wrong with taking your time but if you're not going into every relationship looking for tru wuv and physical compatibility is a priority then you might as well separate the wheat from the chaff as soon as possible.

As for being "slutty". If I decided to sleep with a bloke after knowing him for 35 minutes and he turned around called me anything to that effect then I'd have to tell him to take a long, hard look in the mirror at the hypocritical face staring back (and seriously resist the urge to knock seven shades of shit out of him). In terms of other people's views, I don't care about what anyone's opinion is other than my own and - possibly - the person I've been swapping my bodily fluids with. Neither should you :thumb:
  • Options
    playdead wrote:
    well im only wondering because guys always want sex almost straight away but then i was worried that if i sleep with them say on the 2nd or 3rd date if they would think i'm a 'slut' and have no respect for me and just use me rather than like me for me
    they always act as if everyone sleeps with them straight away and they expect that but im not so sure...

If they want to sleep with you and you put out, why would they disrespect you then? :confused:

if you are dating a person, and you both feel like it, you can have sex at the 3rd date without any problem.

but I am a man and I would sleep with a lot... immediatelly :P So I am not your best advisor.
    As for being "slutty". If I decided to sleep with a bloke after knowing him for 35 minutes

I read somewhere that woman know after an average of 5-10 minutes of knowing/conversing etc. a guy if they want to sleep with that person. confirm/deny?
  • Options
    Depends on the people and what they want out of that particular relationship. I took my boyfriend home the first night I met him, slept together on our second date. He said he still would have gone out with me had we slept together when we first met, because he knew he liked me and wanted to see me again, and having sex wouldn't have made any difference. I've been out with other guys where I have wanted to make them wait, and because they weren't interested in having a relationship at all, we finished pretty quickly.

Sleeping with someone on the first date does not make a person a slut. Do be cautious though, there are people out there who will change their perspective on a person if they want to have sex with them on a first date. As briggi said, it's a hypocritical attitude to have considering they're doing exactly the same thing.
  • Options
    with my ex we didn't have full sex for about a month - through my choice. he really respected that and i think it made him respect me more. :)
  • Options
    well i hate to admit this but i have shagged two lads and havnt been going out with either of them. 1 night stands rule.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    i_am_bex wrote:
    well i hate to admit this but i have shagged two lads and havnt been going out with either of them. 1 night stands rule.

Good for you :rolleyes:
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    I read somewhere that woman know after an average of 5-10 minutes of knowing/conversing etc. a guy if they want to sleep with that person. confirm/deny?
    i'd say they do, although maybe not all girls but they generally know who you would go out with and who you wouldn't
    i know for me i know if i want to sleep with a guy within minutes of knowing him but the bigger question is how long to wait although that probably isnt the case in all girls
  • Options
    the thing is i normally know which guys just want sex and which don't so it normally depends on whether i want sex or not as i know it won't lead to a relationship although one time i did sleep with a guy thinking he just wanted sex and then he called me the next week wanting to meet up again, which suprised me but after sex guys seem to give you less attention as they have less to work towards, do others find that?
  • Options
    but after sex guys seem to give you less attention as they have less to work towards, do others find that?

Most of my encounters early on have been with casual partners, so most often, after sex I'd want them out of my hair. My ex [this is a guy who didn't treat me very well] after sex pretty much lost interest. My boyfriend didn't lose interest at all, we'd still go out on dates, meet up, have dinner, go to parties etc.
  • Options
    With my ex we lasted 5 months with no sex, just everything but, as it took a while to get an implanon appointment etc, but he was alright with that. The thought of 5 months now with no sex now is rather horrible though :(
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:

I would I say I probably do. Doesn't mean I will do though, I just know after so long if I would or wouldn't.

With the boyfriend, I knew within half an hour - but we still didn't get together for 8 months and then we waited 2 months after this!
  • Options
    I think if your both comfortable, and have spoken about things properly (ie. safe sex etc) then it's completely up to you...

My last bf, i waited a month to sleep with because i wasn't that comfortable talking about things like that... but my new fella, i've known for about 3 years, and we've always joked about/talked about that sort of thing, and within about 3 hours of actually deciding to go out with each other, meeting up and him coming round for 'tea' we slept together, have been together for 3 weeks now, and a lot longer if i have it my way :D
  • Options
    With my boyfriend I went back and stayed at his after our first date, then he came round mine the next night and I slept with him then.
    Pretty soon I guess, but it also shows you fancy the pants off each other which is surely a good way to start a relationship.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Have sex with them whenever you feel like. I couldn't give a fuck if people think i'm 'slutty'. We're all adults with adult needs. Maybe it's different for women though. ???

You busy tonight?

:p

Excuse me for being slutty!

I don't really care anymore... I used to want the girl to be the girl I'd be with for the rest of my life and so make sure it was the right one. But now I suppose any hole is a goal...
  • Options
    i_am_bex wrote:

i'm sure your mother would be very proud.

i've had sex with people i haven't gone out with, so what?
  • Options
  • Options
    /
  • Options
    :flirt: But you look so sweet and innocent. :p

Hah, I used to do the whole roses, respect the girl so much routine, but after quite a difficult break up it's difficult to commit to a girl with my feelings, so it's more of a mutual agreement to do things with each other :p. Well that's how I see it atm. Not of course, that I've had any offers :eek2: so I can't really speak.

Bottom line: I used to think it mattered but then someone I tried to respect a lot hurt me so I don't see why I should make so much effort if they can turn round and do that :p. Not that I don't respect a girl, just that I used to think it was all 'special' and romantic and if it was meant to be it was meant to be... now it's like if it feels good and you're both happy then go for it!
  • Options
    Me and my boyfriend waited just over a week before having sex, but trust me if one of us had not had to catch a train home it would have been a lot sooner!
  • Options
  • Options
    But now I suppose any hole is a goal...

I'm sorry but I just can't stop laughing at that comment. :lol:!
  • Options
    I wait ages. I haven't known someone less than about 3 months before I've slept with them. My last boyfriend was probably the quickest, about a month after we started going out. I have to really trust someone before I sleep with them. I'm not saying I wouldn't have a one night stand, but the likelihood is that it would either be with someone I've slept with before, or a really close friend.
  • Options
    The longest I've waited was with my first serious girlfriend and that was 2 months. We started going out when we were 14 and ended up being together for 2 years.
    Since then though it's never really been longer than 2 weeks, but I've only ever slept with one person that I didn't even know the name of and that was on a very, very drunk rugby tour to Ireland...
  • Options
    Just do it when YOU feel ready. Not because hes insinuating that everyone else does it. Its a personal choice.
    Personally Ive gotno problem sleeping with someone quickly if I really like them, but then im fussy who I date in the frst place.
  • Options
    at the end of the day its who you feel comfortable with and what you want from them. Ive slept with people immediatly and nothing has happened but then thats becuase neither was prepared to commit emotionally. Iv also slept with people immediatly who iv ended up in good relationships with.

just make sure you understand their perspective before you do anything. misunderstandings are what create problems in my opinion.
  • Options
    i waited 5 months with my first boyfriend but then with my current bloke it was about 4 days before we slept together but we were fooling around before that and probably woulda done it before if we had been at his house, weve been together over 2 years now, i really dont think it matters how long you just have to be comfortable.
  • Options
    My average is about four hours :lol:
  • Options
    Whenever it feels right.

It's been nearly a year, two months, one/two weeks, and about 5 hours before now.

I felt most comfortable with the one/two weeks, but that's cause both happened naturally *shrug*.

ETA: the two weeks one would have been a lot sooner were it not for time of the month problems :o.