Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is prison cold turkey a human right abuse?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im of the opinion of helping people come off drugs.

However there is a simple way of avoiding having to do cold turkey in prison........

Dont commit the crime and you wont end up in there!

Its prison not a fucking holiday camp. :D

Simple!
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Oh to live in such a simple world as you Calvin. With pixies and bunny rabbits frolicking at the bottom of the garden and human beings never making mistakes! What a glorious day! O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote:
    Dont commit the crime and you wont end up in there!

Perhaps if we didnt have such obviously stupid laws regarding drugs many people wouldnt end up in jail.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Oh to live in such a simple world as you Calvin. With pixies and bunny rabbits frolicking at the bottom of the garden and human beings never making mistakes! What a glorious day! O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! :rolleyes:
    :D
  • Options
    i thought he was the one who had fantasies of living in rainbow, rabbit and unicorn land populated by uncorruptable humans and with a complete absence of capital
  • Options
    WTf? :confused:
  • Options
    There in prison because they have broken the law.

Why the hell should the taxpayer be paying to compensate them for their human rights infringments ?? I sure as hell dont want my taxes spend on it.
  • Options
    If a bored prison warden doused a prisoner with petrol and set him alight to kill off time on a slow night, would you also resist calls to compensate the inmate? At the end of the day he was a criminal...

Or do you admit there is such a thing as cruel and unfair punishment?
  • Options
    Calvin wrote:
    There in prison because they have broken the law.

Why the hell should the taxpayer be paying to compensate them for their human rights infringments ?? I sure as hell dont want my taxes spend on it.

So you think withholding prescibed medication is OK because someone has "broken the law"?
  • Options
    I'm gonna start a new thread on suggestions on changing the drug legislation, because I'm interested in hashing it out again, just letting you good people know, if you fancy it, go and hand out your twopenceworth.
  • Options
    If someone set me on fire in the street I wouldnt be compensated. Nor would I expect to be.

I would expect them to go to prison.

People have to learn to accept the consequences of their actions. Prison is about being punished, its not supposed to be a ride in the park.
  • Options
    So would you expect those responsible for withdrawing the medication to be disciplined then?

And are you suggesting those who get convicted and go to prison do not have the right not to be tortured?

Shame Saddam is no longer in power. You would have enjoyed life as a prison guard in Iraq.
  • Options
    They aren’t being tortured, they are going cold turkey! (there is a difference)

People in Iraq were tortured under Saddam Hussein in a terrible way. I would be the first person to defend prisoners in the UK if they were being tortured like that, but their not!!

And no, I wouldn’t enjoy being a prison guard in Iraq, because I enjoy being able to voice my opinion in a democratic society! I believe in free speech and am happy I live in a country where this issue can be debated openly.

:D
  • Options
    So you think that withholding prescribed medication is OK? What about withholding antidepressants? Would that be OK? Anti-psychotics? Insulin from a diabetic? Is that OK too?
  • Options
    If they have a medical need for their prescription drug (i.e. insulin for diabetics) then I have no problem at all.

However these prisoners aren’t the first people to go cold turkey. You can quit taking drugs without methadone.

Yes its hard, but prison is supposed to be hard!
  • Options
    "However these prisoners aren’t the first people to go cold turkey. You can quit taking drugs without methadone."

Yes, and you can be safely operated upon without anesthetic. But that's not the point is it?

Prisons are hard fucking places enough without withdrawing medication from sick people. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Nor that it would be justified to withdraw medication AND CAUSE UNNECESSARY SUFFERING even if prisons were 5 star hotels. That's not what a civilised, decent society does.

For fuck's sake... :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I also think that there's no way a prisoner should be able to get a cash handout from the government because they were made to give something up that was illegal anyway

Enough said

• Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Because you're on about having drugs withheld? You do know that methadone is a drug don't you?

Errr, well yes i do, but if you read my post in full, i clearly stated they should be treated for their addictions if they are infact dependant on drugs. My point was about criminals who commit a crime and go to jail for it and then no longer have access to their drug of choice for club, social occassions or relaxing with at home, in the same way they do not have television, a microwave or a mp3 player...you did get that point right? Especially how i said in clearly written English how no drug addict should be refused treatment and they should get it when they need it? I mean, its like you read what ever you wanted to read just so you could post something argumentative and act like a know it all on something. It seems you do it quite a lot in fact.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote:
    If they have a medical need for their prescription drug (i.e. insulin for diabetics) then I have no problem at all.

However these prisoners aren’t the first people to go cold turkey. You can quit taking drugs without methadone.

Opioid dependency is recognised medically. Methadone is a recognised treatment. What you're saying is that you approve of withholding medical treatment for certain conditions, according to your prejudices.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote:
    Enough said

Methadone is legally prescribed, so that's a rather silly thing to agree with.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    Errr, well yes i do, but if you read my post in full, i clearly stated they should be treated for their addictions if they are infact dependant on drugs. My point was about criminals who commit a crime and go to jail for it and then no longer have access to their drug of choice for club, social occassions or relaxing with at home, in the same way they do not have television, a microwave or a mp3 player...you did get that point right? Especially how i said in clearly written English how no drug addict should be refused treatment and they should get it when they need it? I mean, its like you read what ever you wanted to read just so you could post something argumentative and act like a know it all on something. It seems you do it quite a lot in fact.

I don't get what you're saying. You appear to be being contradictory. Yes, we all know that prison is supposed to be a punishment and that part of that punishment is the taking away of social luxuries, like recreational drugs (ignoring the fact that actually drugs are very easy to come by in prison). So far, agreed. You then say that you think prisoners should be treated with methadone for opiod dependency. What is your actual point? You think that withholding methadone is out of order? Or you think methadone is a luxury? :confused:
  • Options
    Those who support the Prison Service's actions:

Do you believe that no-one (prisoner or not) should have medication to help them get off of drugs, or through the cold turkey phase?

If you believe that some people should, why would you treat prisoners differently?

Human Rights pply to all Humans (they clue is in the name), so in what way are prisoners not human?
  • Options
    Calvin wrote:

So, are you suggesting that it is easy if you aren't going cold turkey? If not, then why should addicts be punished more than any other criminal?
  • Options
    hmm think about it...rapists...murderers...child molesters....

where are their victim`s human rights? what rights did they have when they were being raped/killed/assaulted

i`m not agreeing or disagreeing with makin them go "cold turkey"

it just seems prisoners have an easy time of late...and if they dont get an easy time...they sue

i seriously think it`ll open floodgates....
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:

Yep, all human. no-one can change that.
    where are their victim`s human rights? what rights did they have when they were being raped/killed/assaulted

Indeed, and the person who committed that crime has their liberty removed. They are still human and these are "rights" - they aren't deniable and they are for humans. Really the name of the legislation is a pretty big clue as to what it covers.
    it just seems prisoners have an easy time of late...and if they dont get an easy time...they sue

"It seems" is not the same as "it is"
  • Options
    Calvin wrote:
    Enough said

I didn't say that they shouldn't be given the treatment. I know enough about going cold turkey on nasty drugs that it's horrific.
  • Options
    I urge all concerned to think carefully before falling for the bullshit, lies and misconceptions peddled by the tabloid press that life inside British prisons is somehow 'easy' or a 'holiday camp'.

Unless you believe prisoners should suffer abuse, pain or worse as part of their punishment as well life inside prisons is hard enough as it is. They are grim places, overcrowded, dirty, dangerous, depressing and degrading- specially for the tens of thousands of inmates who don't even have a toilet and are forced to piss and shit in a bucket.

Don't you go thinking prisons are suddenly transformed into a "five star holiday camp" (copyright The S*n) because they've put a fucking ping-pong table in the common room or because a few "lucky" prisoners have a TV set in their rooms.

Christ...
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:

i`m not agreeing or disagreeing with makin them go "cold turkey"

i seriously think it`ll open floodgates....

Who mentioned "rapists...murderers...child molesters"? Apart from you? What makes you think that treating prisoners humanely means that we can't also care for the victims?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What makes you think that treating prisoners humanely means that we can't also care for the victims?
    did i say that?

where?

i was implying that these sods, who commit crimes, dont care about the people they are hurting, lives they are destroying, the human rights they are taking away from someone, but they DEMAND theirs

like i have already said, i dont agree or disagree with making them go cold turkey, i dont have a massive opinion on it either way...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I urge all concerned to think carefully before falling for the bullshit, lies and misconceptions peddled by the tabloid press that life inside British prisons is somehow 'easy' or a 'holiday camp'.

Unless you believe prisoners should suffer abuse, pain or worse as part of their punishment as well life inside prisons is hard enough as it is. They are grim places, overcrowded, dirty, dangerous, depressing and degrading- specially for the tens of thousands of inmates who don't even have a toilet and are forced to piss and shit in a bucket.

Don't you go thinking prisons are suddenly transformed into a "five star holiday camp" (copyright The S*n) because they've put a fucking ping-pong table in the common room or because a few "lucky" prisoners have a TV set in their rooms.

Christ...
    i was watching a program on bbc2 about offenders wanting parole

one had a cd player and games console

i`m not saying ALL prisons are like that....i just dont think ANY should be like that