Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is prison cold turkey a human right abuse?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This thread had turned into a farce.

People will always have differing opinions, its part of a healthy democracy.

But just because one persons opinion isn’t the same as yours doesn’t make theirs wrong. There is no point in screaming facts and figures, or saying others have no idea.

We are all capable of forming our own opinion, whether you agree or not.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Yes, people will always have differing opinions. However, since when was it rude to ask how someone formed their opinion and what they base it on? Not all opnions are equally valid y'know.
  • Options
    Just because someone hasnt been to prison doesnt mean they cant comment or form an opinion on it.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Not all opnions are equally valid y'know.

That suprises me; you being such an advocate of human rights for everyone.

• Options
    Calvin wrote:
    Just because someone hasnt been to prison doesnt mean they cant comment or form an opinion on it.

I didn't say otherwise. However, to form an opinion on what prisons are "like", based on seeing a TV programme is rather silly, yes? If she'd quoted from websites like The Prison Reform Trust, St Giles Trust, even from a government site, that would be more informed, yes?
    Calvin wrote:
    That suprises me; you being such an advocate of human rights for everyone.

This isn't a serious comment, I take it?
  • Options
    This
    http://www.sentdown.co.uk/NEW_sentdown/index.php
    is a useful guide to what prison is like
  • Options
    She isn't saying all prisons are like that, she isn't saying all prisoners have playerstations. She is saying in her view that no prisoners should have playstations. To be honest, that's not complicated and doesn't require the full knowledge of the prison system - it's just a personal judgement about the levels of consumer goods prisoners should have acceess to.

And, to be honest man, you do look like the cock here. Do try to engage in debate, which to be honest you've shown yourself more than capable of. People's opinions don't change because someone redirects their anger and vents off at them, they change because someone can provide a valid alternative viewpoint.

You do realise that when you post like this you actually strengthen the opposite views of the people you debate with, don't you Blag?
  • Options
    And I would point out that the basic human rights described by the European Human Rights act as are expressly removed by a jail sentence - this liberty link defines the fundamental rights prisoners have - the right to fair legal representation and the right not to be assualted - other rights are granted by legal changes, whether they take or give other rights.

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-rights/chapters/the-rights-of-prisoners/basic-rights-of-prisoners/basic-rights-of-prisoners.shtml

The legal result here was because it was agreed that by withholding legally available medication that the prisoners were already on to deal with addictions (remember this settlement is not with all prisoners who were on Heroin) - the prison service caused physical harm to the prisoners, which was judged to be assualt. It's a very specific situation, the removal of legal drugs from someone who was already on a treatment program at the time of going to jail.

To me, there is a big difference between the prison service saying we refuse to instigate methodone, or other withdrawal reducing treatments, for heroin addicted prisoners and them removing treatment from someone already recieving it.

Let alone, as people I'm sure are aware, there's no lack of drugs in jail - taking someone of a treatment program and pushing them into the hands of jail dealers smacks of either ignorance and the situation in the jail or a level of institutional collusion with those dealers that I don't like to think about.

But to finish off back on the topic of human rights - here's the full text of the European Convention on Human Rights -

http://www.hri.org/docs/ECHR50.html#Convention

You'll see that article 4 and 5 provide clear disctinctions between the rights of prisoners lawfully detained and people who are free.

You'll also see that for nearly every article, for example 10 and 11, the second point ensentially allows the law to restrict freedoms when it chooses.

Article 16 is particularly pleasant - and would contridict the assumption that the rights are granted to people because they are human, they are in fact granted to people as citizens. People who are not citizens in Europe aren't covered by the right to free assembly, free speech, or freedom from discrimination when the government wishes to resrict their political activities.

So, another example of the fact that human rights aren't set in law as absolutes, but rather rights that in certain circumstances can be removed.

(shit, that went a bit seeker there :shocking: )

Saying all that though, this case was definately the right decision in my eyes.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I didn't say otherwise. However, to form an opinion on what prisons are "like", based on seeing a TV programme is rather silly, yes?
    how many times?

i never said thats what prisons are like, i just said thats what they shouldnt be like

geez, and you say i look like a cock, at least i dont put words into other people`s mouths

at no point have i said EVERY prison lets its inmates have a game console, nt have i said EVERY prision is cusshy, i just said NO prision should be like the one i SAW on tv

whats so hard to get?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    However, when I see someone spouting ignorant opinions without bothering to base them in facts, it gets my back up.
    fact?

seeing a prisoner with a playstation with my own eyes, indicates FACT to me
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    She then claims that watching a TV programme means she knows what prisons are "like". That's rather silly IMO. .
    where did i claim i know what prisons are like?
  • Options
    Why have you posted three times in a row?
  • Options
    sorry, can u quote more than one thng in a post? not too familiar with this board yet...
  • Options
    Yeah and he's been warned for calling you that, so if we could return to the actual debate now that would be good.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    And I would point out that the basic human rights described by the European ... snip ... the right decision in my eyes.

I'm a little confused. When you go into prison, inherantly certain rights you would have outside are removed. However, rights like the right to vote are also removed. Surely the idea of imprisonment is to protect the law-abiding members of the public, so why is the right to vote removed?

More on topic, surely the best method of someone getting clean should be the treatment a prisoner recieves? A doctor should decide cold turkey / methadone / whatever and then that should be the treatement carried out?
  • Options
    The right to vote is removed because you violated the contract (for want of a better term) of the society we live in. You broke the law, so you forfeit having a say in how the country is run.
  • Options
    That doesn't really seem like a water-tight reason for having one's right to vote removed. If you're in jail then you're suffering a state awarded punishment for your crime. You're effectively been told that you're not allowed to be part of the system, but you still have suffer at the hands of the system.

Also, i'm sure there's an argument that active prisoner participation would allow prisons to become more effective rehabilition centres.
  • Options
    It's part of the state awarded punishment. Perhaps prisons would be more effective if prisoners had a say, but that doesn't mean they should vote, it means that there should be a forum/platform to make suggestions.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    It's part of the state awarded punishment. Perhaps prisons would be more effective if prisoners had a say, but that doesn't mean they should vote, it means that there should be a forum/platform to make suggestions.

I understand that it's part of the awarded punishment. I'm just not so sure that removing the right to vote achieves anything. If you're part of the system, then you surely you should have a say in the system?

It's not something i've really thought about before. It just strikes me as punishment for punishments sake.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    how many times?

i never said thats what prisons are like, i just said thats what they shouldnt be like

Think about what you're writing - you said "i`m not saying ALL prisons are like that".
    Littleali wrote:
    geez, and you say i look like a cock, at least i dont put words into other people`s mouths

at no point have i said EVERY prison lets its inmates have a game console, nt have i said EVERY prision is cusshy, i just said NO prision should be like the one i SAW on tv

whats so hard to get?

You've just said it again - " i just said NO prision should be like the one i SAW on tv". The point I'm making (in my clumsy and heavyhanded way) is that you cannot draw any conclusions as to what prison is "like" on the basis that some prisoners get playstations. It tells you nothing about what the routine is like, how the screws treat the prisoners, how long they're locked up for, the educational opportunities, any work they have to do etc. You haven't even said if they were remand prisoners or not (inmates on remand have many more rights, due to the fact they haven't actually been found guilty of anything yet).

Do you see what I'm getting at? You're making judgements ("i just said NO prision should be like the one i SAW on tv") based on very little information. That's what I'm taking issue with.
  • Options
    By the way I was agreeing with the settlement - not with what rights prisoners lose.

As to losing the right to vote - I'd imagine it was done for the same reason it was in the US, it stops the creation of a massive population of anti-government voters in rural areas where prisons may be. So it's based on politics
  • Options
    well regardless, Blagsta stay on fucking topic
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    fact?

seeing a prisoner with a playstation with my own eyes, indicates FACT to me

Were they a remand prisoner? Or had they been convcited? Did they get to keep the Playstation in their cell? Or was it only to be used in a common room at certain times of the day? What was the rest of their day like? Did they do any work in a prison workshop? Were they doing any educational courses? Attending any groups? Engaging with a prison psychologist or a CARAT worker? etc

See my point?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    well regardless, Blagsta stay on fucking topic

I hope you're telling Littleali the same thing then.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I hope you're telling Littleali the same thing then.
    he did if u look
  • Options
    I'm a little confused. When you go into prison, inherantly certain rights you would have outside are removed. However, rights like the right to vote are also removed. Surely the idea of imprisonment is to protect the law-abiding members of the public, so why is the right to vote removed?

Remand prisoners don't lose the right to vote.
    More on topic, surely the best method of someone getting clean should be the treatment a prisoner recieves? A doctor should decide cold turkey / methadone / whatever and then that should be the treatement carried out?

If the prisoner is already on a script before they go to prison, that script should be continued.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    he did if u look

Yes, I just seen that. Fairynuff. :)
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Were they a remand prisoner? Or had they been convcited? Did they get to keep the Playstation in their cell? Or was it only to be used in a common room at certain times of the day? What was the rest of their day like? Did they do any work in a prison workshop? Were they doing any educational courses? Attending any groups? Engaging with a prison psychologist or a CARAT worker? etc

See my point?

I'm assuming the programme is 'Lock them up or let them out' which despite the stupid title is quiet a good programme. Its concentrates on prisoners up for parole, so so far the people they have shown have tended to be good (albeit perhaps not model prisoners). I'm not sure it was cushy, but their cells certainly looked rather nice, with various mod cons. Now I expect all prisons are not like that, but LittleAli's argument seems to be that no prisons should be like that.
  • Options
    Even for prisoners on remand? Remember that remand prisoners have not actually been found guilty of anything.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Even for prisoners on remand? Remember that remand prisoners have not actually been found guilty of anything.

I almost treat remand prisoners as not being convicted prisoners. As far as I'm concerned they should be given as much freedom as possible, within the constraints of security.

Personally I also think there is an argument for allowing prisoners who are up for parole, or convicted of non-violent offences greater freedom, such as day release.

Against that I'd give many people convicted of violent offences tough sentences. Virtually no-one who commits murder should be out in less than twenty-five years and assault which has left some disabled (either mentally or physically) should be treated the same as murder.
  • Options
    Depends on the context though doesn't it? What about someone who commits assault in self defence?