Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wireless Turns Off

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay its getting really annoying...

It only turned the wirelesss signal off at night for some reason and id unplug the router and plug it back in and it would work.

but its getting annoying it just turns the wireless off and its like :banghead:

Any ideas? Its netgear router by the way

EDIT: It just turned itself off twice but reconnected us

Comments

• Options
    In your routers control panel set your idle time to 0. Should be under PPPoA settings.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    In your routers control panel set your idle time to 0. Should be under PPPoA settings.

I dont think i have PPPoA Settings :confused:

http://www.jayswebby.net/computer/Router.jpg
  • Options
    Just look through all your settings until your find "Idle Time"... failing that look through your routers instruction manual or search for "idle time+your routers make &/or model"
  • Options
    Exactly what model number is your netgear router. what makato said about the timeout sounds about right but it wont be on your PPPoA settings if its *just* the wireless.It has to be your wireless settings. Time how often it happens . is it on a regular basis? like every 5 mins,if so, its the settings if not it could be lots of other things
  • Options
    routermakenmodel.jpg
  • Options
    Matteh wrote:
    it wont be on your PPPoA settings if its *just* the wireless

Thats where mine idle time option sits, I have a Belkin router mind.
  • Options
    Theres no time out settings thing on mine...

although today its not gone off once...
  • Options
    Looks to me like you have Cable and Not ADSL? that will rule out all PPPOA settings being incorrect.

Is the actual wireless connection turning off or is it loosing internet connection? if its the latter and you are on cable it may be the cable modem signal, only ntl can have a look at that.

BTW: Is that actually Vista or jsut a skin? any good?
  • Options
    Amnesiac wrote:
    Looks to me like you have Cable and Not ADSL?
    I'm connected to my Internet Box Not a all in one.
    Amnesiac wrote:
    Is the actual wireless connection turning off or is it loosing internet connection? if its the latter and you are on cable it may be the cable modem signal

Its the wireless signal on all conencted items, all 3 of us were on and we all lost our connection Other 2 computers are running XP im the only one with vista
    Amnesiac wrote:
    BTW: Is that actually Vista or jsut a skin? any good?

Its a real thing, from a MSDN Friend, because MSDN people are special they get RC2, im running RC2 and its perfect ive not had ONE problem, im running Dual boot which enables me to have XP aswell, and a really good idea is to install all your drivers on XP and store them in a Folder and then in vista Make sure you tell vista to look at them folders, because it works!

;) Its very good - Although people slag it off
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Okay its getting really annoying...

It only turned the wirelesss signal off at night for some reason and id unplug the router and plug it back in and it would work.

but its getting annoying it just turns the wireless off and its like :banghead:

Any ideas? Its netgear router by the way

EDIT: It just turned itself off twice but reconnected us

I'm having exactly the same thing so I would be really interested in an answer for it! I use ntl cable modem and belkin router & wireless receiver.
    I rang ntl and was told to unplug and plug it back in and like you say, that does work but i cant be doing that all day. Rang them back and they said its not them, its the router. rang Belkin 5 times so far and been told a different thing each time and its still not fixed. it will disconnect and connect again any amount of time from around once every 2 hours to every 15mins on a bad day.
    dont mean to hijack your thread, just thinking if someone can suggest a solution for both of us :) I will try makoto's 'idle time' suggestion when i get home tonight.
  • Options
    But the difference is yours is Belkin and mine is Netgear...
  • Options
    So when you get kicked off, does it happen around the same time, example every 60 or 90 minutes? Does it happen when you use an Ethernet connection?
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    So when you get kicked off, does it happen around the same time, example every 60 or 90 minutes?

Nope its tottaly random
  • Options
    As I said, use an Ethernet connection and see if it still happens, need to rule things out.

btw, your Netgear manual tells you something about Idle Time, I looked.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, try turning off Wireless Zero Configuration and see if that helps.
  • Options
    Dont believe i have a manual, and When i go to look at the router The Wireless Signal Green Light is off.

And no one uses the Wired version only the Office computer and i dont think it has kicked me off
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    Oh yeah, try turning off Wireless Zero Configuration and see if that helps.

Whats that?:confused:
  • Options
    Im Officaly PISSED OFF!!!!

The router is doing my head in, its cut out and the light never went off this time

And!!!! no one was on the internet!!!

im thinking wether to get a new router and a different make!!!
    *note* this router was Referb
  • Options
    Dont believe i have a manual

You can find the manual by Goggling it (like I did) or check any disks you got that you got with your router. Read the manual to see if you can identify the problem. Failing that phone up Netgear.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    You can find the manual by Goggling it (like I did) or check any disks you got that you got with your router. Read the manual to see if you can identify the problem. Failing that phone up Netgear.

Check my post above, Its Referd so i think thats why...

Should i consider getting a new one?
    Money is not a problem because family would pay for it
  • Options
    if you start clutching at straws, try switching off all the computers that use the router, then reboot the router, and see if the "Wireless" light on the router comes on with the router, or only if a computer attempts to connect to it.

If it only comes on when a computer connects to it, then it may be a problem with your computers.

Ive had no end of trouble with Netgears. I used to have a Netgear router (not wireless) that kept loosing connecting at random times, in the end i bought a Belkin one, and had no problems since! How long since you bought your router?
  • Options
    Got to be AGES now....

But let me keep pointing out Its REFERBEB

And how can 3 Computers be wrong?
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    And how can 3 Computers be wrong?

True!

have you had a look on netgears site, to see if this is a common problem or possible a firmware upgrade to solve it?
  • Options
    Amnesiac wrote:
    a firmware upgrade to solve it?

Looked for it, there aint one
  • Options
    Okay so im going to have a "look" For some routers, although netgear seam so pricey these days! I want a well known one and im not too sure about belkin they just seam Big.

> Needs to be wireless ( of course )
    > Wireless G
    > Must NOT be DSL
    > Has to have a plug in for my Internet box
  • Options
    wtf is "Has to have a plug in for my Internet box".

Why don't you want an xDSL router, you with Telewest or NTL?
  • Options
    RouterboxDiagram.jpg

And i spoke with an IT Person @ School and he reckons its faulty.

So im going to be looking for a new one
  • Options
    So your "Internet box" is, I will take it, is a server and you want a router with something like a 4-port switch on it?

And you haven't answered my question about Telewest or NTL so I am going to assume you are on cable and not ADSL??
  • Options
    i had always assumed he was on adsl. Jay , your not confusing Cable with ethernet are you, cable is a type of internet (usually comes with television and stuff too). Just checking , dont want people getting thier wires crossed ;)
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    And you haven't answered my question about Telewest or NTL so I am going to assume you are on cable and not ADSL??

Im going to assume that too, as an ntl modem cannot be changed by the user.

If you do have ADSL CoolME, then you may want to get a router with an ADSL modem built in, cuts down the number of boxes for the internet and hopefully less bits to go wrong.