Home Anything Goes
Fill out The Mix's Annual User Survey for a chance to win a £200 Amazon voucher, to shape our services, and get closer to earning a badge!
Need support urgently? Click here

Anybody drive under an automatic licence?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have tried & tried with a manual car, but every time I keep fucking up etc. & to me personally its complicated.

I can drive an automatic with no problem at all. So I am thinking of taking
lessons & exams as an automatic.

Is there any other automatic drivers?
«13

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nope.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you want to learn on a manual and get that kind of license then you need to stop driving an automatic while you learn.

    I was advised against getting an automatic only license unless I needed to pass in a hurry. It can really limit you, makes hiring a minivan for anything practically impossible, likewise driving a minibus or pool cars from work, you have to be so much more picky when getting a loan car or a rental car too.

    If you are only ever going to drive your own automatic and can live without it when it goes in for repair then it won't be a problem, but a lot of the above would have caused problems for me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I haven't drove automatic for a few months. I have been trying to learn in manual for a while, but cant get it. I guess some people are like that.

    I can say those problems above dont bother me now, but I wont know until it may happen. But I am going to drive under automatic.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Most people fail their tests on stuff like observations though, rather than not having control over the car. I don't see how passing in an automatic would be much easier to be honest. Okay you may have a tiny bit less to think about, but I don't think many people fail because they didn't change gears correctly.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My friend has an automatic only licence, she did try learning in a manual but just couldn't get to grips with it, passed first time in an automatic though. If you are happy to buy automatics all your life and can't see any circumstances where you will need to drive a manual, then go for it.

    My mum learnt to drive in a manual but has driven an automatic for the past 20 years and admits she wouldn't have a clue about driving a manual now, but there have never been any circumstances where she has needed to and she is happy with her automatic, so if that applies to you, why not go for it?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I drive auto. I used to have a stick... rip... Its much easier to drive/talk/eat/text/changecd/lookforsomethinginthebackseat simultaneously with an auto, imo. Its the way to go ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my_name wrote:
    I drive auto. I used to have a stick... rip... Its much easier to drive/talk/eat/text/changecd/lookforsomethinginthebackseat simultaneously with an auto, imo. Its the way to go ;)

    That's true. Plus there's one less pedal so you could paint your toenails and not have to worry about chipping because you can use the other foot.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mist wrote:
    That's true. Plus there's one less pedal so you could paint your toenails and not have to worry about chipping because you can use the other foot.

    Oh! :thumb: A little ashamed I forgot that one, thanks! :D:heart:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If everyone drove automtics then I wouldn't have stalled and failed my test the other day :mad: :crying:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jazza wrote:
    If everyone drove automtics then I wouldn't have stalled and failed my test the other day :mad: :crying:

    You failed from stalling the car? :confused:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    FireFly85 wrote:
    My friend has an automatic only licence, she did try learning in a manual but just couldn't get to grips with it, passed first time in an automatic though. If you are happy to buy automatics all your life and can't see any circumstances where you will need to drive a manual, then go for it.

    My mum learnt to drive in a manual but has driven an automatic for the past 20 years and admits she wouldn't have a clue about driving a manual now, but there have never been any circumstances where she has needed to and she is happy with her automatic, so if that applies to you, why not go for it?
    That sounds like my aunt. All her family have manual licences, but for the last 20 years have been driving under auto.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He put it down as a gear fault and there was a car behind me and I was turning into a street with loads of cars on one side. I was driving downhill to turn into the street. I failed because of something else as well but if i hadn't had that stall I think I might have passed.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Warming up? Posts: 16,688
    I asked my driving teacher about what an automatic is like once, he said that you have to press the gas pedal for a few seconds before the car actually starts going faster (or something like that, it was long ago). If that's true, doesn't it get confusing?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont think i'd like to drive an automatic. Takes the fun out of driving I would imagine.

    I wouldnt feel like i was driving properly if i didnt have to change gear.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    squeal wrote:
    You failed from stalling the car? :confused:
    Stalling is a dangerous error, if you stall then you arent in control of your car.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can drive both, and have owned both. Driving is a MUCH more fulfilling experience when you can change gear - it's so much more involving. You might also find your insurance costs are higher if you have an automatic-only licence.

    Personally, I'd advise to stick with the manual 'box and do it until you are capable of passing your test. But if you can't do it, then you can't do it. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You might also find your insurance costs are higher if you have an automatic-only licence.

    Yep, probably, because your automatic licence will also cover you as a provisional for learning to drive a manual. So you're a learner and a wualified driver all in one.
    Personally, I'd advise to stick with the manual 'box and do it until you are capable of passing your test.

    Same. I was going to learn in an automatic, but believe me, after looking into it, the hassle is so unreal. Once you've got the idea of gears, (which only came to me after so many lessons - my mate stil struggles and shes had about 50!) then you'll forget you ever struggled. I'd at least try it first.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Glittery wrote:
    Stalling is a dangerous error, if you stall then you arent in control of your car.


    hmm. It *could* be a dangerous error, but I'm not sure that it would always be written down as one. Like I think if you were just about to move away and stalled, but immediately braked and restarted the car, and there wasn't a car about to ram you up the backside, then it'd just be a minor fault I reckon.

    Anyway, I reckon you should try to get a manual license. Automatics cost more to purchase and more to maintain than manual cars, if nothing else.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mist wrote:
    hmm. It *could* be a dangerous error, but I'm not sure that it would always be written down as one. Like I think if you were just about to move away and stalled, but immediately braked and restarted the car, and there wasn't a car about to ram you up the backside, then it'd just be a minor fault I reckon.

    Most stalls are a dangerous. However, if you handle it as you just mentioned, and the circumstances are practically perfect, it is often overlooked. If you do it again, its a dangerous.

    My instructor drilled this into my head before my test. I think he's shagging one of the examiners, he knows way too much detail.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I asked my driving teacher about what an automatic is like once, he said that you have to press the gas pedal for a few seconds before the car actually starts going faster (or something like that, it was long ago). If that's true, doesn't it get confusing?
    Its like go carts (especially as I was driving a smart), just put your foot down & of you go.

    TBH I can understand how some of you think it takes the fun out driving, I understand but TBH it doesn't really bother me. I just want to get from A to B.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Most stalls are a dangerous. However, if you handle it as you just mentioned, and the circumstances are practically perfect, it is often overlooked. If you do it again, its a dangerous.
    Stalling in itself is only a minor. It's how you deal with it afterwards that causes you to fail - like not checking your blind spots before you move again. Only if you stall in the middle of a crossroads when the traffic lights are changing or something does actually stalling turn into something that they might fail you for. If another car smashes into the back of you because you stalled, then that's their fault for not giving adequate clearance, not yours.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Warming up? Posts: 16,688
    HIT wrote:
    Its like go carts (especially as I was driving a smart), just put your foot down & of you go.
    So it's instant?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So it's instant?
    Yeah. It has a gear box where you pull up or down on reverse etc. but you dont have to use a clutch, & you dont have to keep changing gears aswell. So you put it into drive mode & that's it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    HIT wrote:
    Yeah. It has a gear box where you pull up or down on reverse etc. but you dont have to use a clutch, & you dont have to keep changing gears aswell. So you put it into drive mode & that's it.
    I can understand that if you just want to get from A to B, but what I don't understand is automatic sports cars. I mean don't you buy a sports car for the driving experience? Or am I being naive, does everyone just get them because they look pretty?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Most automatics are pretty responsive, although I think what your instructor probably meant was you have less control over the acceleration. Try as you might you can stick your foot down and it will take a few seconds before it goes bruum, because you have no control over what gear you're in.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can understand that if you just want to get from A to B, but what I don't understand is automatic sports cars. I mean don't you buy a sports car for the driving experience? Or am I being naive, does everyone just get them because they look pretty?
    I'm not really interested in a sports car at the moment, or was you referring to the smart car?

    But seriously I would drive a manual, but I guess I am just one of those small majorities that cant grasp it. :(
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When you say you don't get it, how many lessons have you had? Learning takes time.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When you say you don't get it, how many lessons have you had? Learning takes time.
    I had lessons with a friends brother (who is an instructor), my dad, my uncle, my mates & so on.

    I have been having lessons on & off since about last Xmas time I think, I have only been seriously going at it since about June. Every time I mess up from one thing or another, but when I am in an auto, its perfect. :yes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blah wrote:
    I dont think i'd like to drive an automatic. Takes the fun out of driving I would imagine.

    I wouldnt feel like i was driving properly if i didnt have to change gear.

    I agree.

    Other problem with autos is that they only usually have four gears so you'd never quite be in the 'right' gear.

    My tip for people having real difficulties with stalling would be to take the test in a diesel car, if at all possible. You'd be amazed at the difference.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't see the point in an automatic. I think, if you're not 'capable' of driving or handling a manual car, you shouldn't be on the road with other manual cars.

    They're sooo limiting too - you can only ever drive automatic. You could never share your car with your partner (because the chances of finding a bf/gf who also drive automatic are slim!) and that would suck. They're ridiculously expensive when things go wrong with them.

    I reckon you'd be better off getting on an intensive driving course and seeing how you get on.
Sign In or Register to comment.