Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anybody drive under an automatic licence?

13»

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    about 7 grand id say, for a normal spec, but if you want added extras, and better engine etc, it can go up to about 15 grand.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    about 7 grand id say, for a normal spec, but if you want added extras, and better engine etc, it can go up to about 15 grand.
    Yikes. :eek: I thought 6 grand at the most (goes to show how informed I am about cars)

I have 5 grand now, I guess my dad could help me out abit. Or I might just buy a second hand one. But I wont be adding extras to it...... Especially if it costs alot more. :razz:
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Yikes. :eek: I thought 6 grand at the most (goes to show how informed I am about cars)

I have 5 grand now, I guess my dad could help me out abit. Or I might just buy a second hand one. But I wont be adding extras to it...... Especially if it costs alot more. :razz:
    just dont get a brand new one, if its a first car, like a similar thread recently stated, its best to have a bit of an older car first.
    if you are adament to have a Smart get an older model, and then you dont have to worry about damaging it.
    Ive had my car for about 8 months, and i worry about marking it daily, never mind crashing it, and i have been driving for 4 years now. youre first car will be amazing in your eyes, as its your first car.
    You need to think about tax and insurance, and little bits and bobs, air fresher, ice scraper, de icer, screen wash, cleaning it, and most important, petrol.
    All of these things add up, so i think you will be best getting an older version, or a completely different car and saving the money until you have a few years experience under your belt!

Edited because i cant spell! :P
  • Options
    Your biggest concern for getting a first car needs to be which insurance category it falls into, as your insurance will cost a bomb as it is, without getting a car that makes it worse.
  • Options
    I tried driving my friends auto the other day and I just couldnt! Im so used to there being a clutch, and kept putting my feet on both pedals and therefore not moving!! Total nightmare!
  • Options
    Your biggest concern for getting a first car needs to be which insurance category it falls into, as your insurance will cost a bomb as it is, without getting a car that makes it worse.
    It will be reduced because I would get it on my dads insurance. I cant remember what size engine a smart has though.

Bunny, Im always telling people the same thing. Perhaps I should take my own advice. :thumb:
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    It will be reduced because I would get it on my dads insurance. I cant remember what size engine a smart has though.

Bunny, Im always telling people the same thing. Perhaps I should take my own advice. :thumb:
    its not a very big one! :) but yup, take your own advice! hee hee!
    i love car shopping, so if you want a hand, yell me, and ill have a nosey on ye olde internet for you.
  • Options
    For me there is a simple rule of thumb. people who choose to drive automatic because it's easy are just lazy, but no real bother.

Those who drive automatic because they can't use a manual gearbox should stay the fuck off the road because if you can't do more than one thing at a time then yuo are dangerous. I mean, how the hell do you think that you will be able to talk on the phone/change CDs/smoke/shave/read/look at a map [insert other distraction here] whilst driving if you can't even change gears :D
    Thank fuck someone else has the same view. I'm not totally nuts then. :yes:
  • Options
    thought you said you didnt want the same views as people from thesite? shall i hand you the gun now?
  • Options
    Saying someone is lazy reflects on that persons whole lifestyle. Just because someone (me) cant grasp manual driving doesn't make them lazy.

An automatic driver still has to go through the same exams, studying, practicing as a manual driver. Except one uses gears & the other doesn't. It doesn't make them any less of a good driver. There are people on the road that drink, take drugs & drive, use there mobiles whilst driving, speeding, the list goes on. Should these people be considered better people to be on the road than automatic drivers?

I am sure in other aspects there are people better at something than you.
  • Options
  • Options
    Being human ;)
    Exactly. Unfortunately I am one of the few people that cant grasp at manual. I would like to drive manual, but if I cant, I cant. Better to drive a car that's auto than use London transport everywhere.
  • Options
    I'd stick with London transport a lot of the time.

I would have at least 5/6 lessons in fairly close succession with a good instructor in a manual before you give up on them completely.

Your insurance won't be as bad if your on your dads insurance, but if the company find out he's fronting for you it will cause massive problems and you won't accumalate your own no claims.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Saying someone is lazy reflects on that persons whole lifestyle. Just because someone (me) cant grasp manual driving doesn't make them lazy.QUOTE]

In my last post I said I would get an automatic for the sake of me being lazy, not you.

I just can't understand how you can't grasp gears. I can and I am the most unco-ordinated person I know.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Saying someone is lazy reflects on that persons whole lifestyle. Just because someone (me) cant grasp manual driving doesn't make them lazy.

Which is why I split the two. Read the words I use, it'll help you understand what I write.
    There are people on the road that drink, take drugs & drive, use there mobiles whilst driving, speeding, the list goes on. Should these people be considered better people to be on the road than automatic drivers?

Well, duh. Look at the list I gave, do you think that I think that those are good habits? Hell Irefer to them as "distractions" FFS
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    I dont think i'd like to drive an automatic. Takes the fun out of driving I would imagine.

I wouldnt feel like i was driving properly if i didnt have to change gear.

You'd like my car then, it's got 6 forward gears .. lol

Half the time I just skip a gear .. lol
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    I have tried & tried with a manual car, but every time I keep fucking up etc. & to me personally its complicated.

I can drive an automatic with no problem at all. So I am thinking of taking
    lessons & exams as an automatic.

Is there any other automatic drivers?

If you were in American 90% of the drievrs would probabaly be driving an automatic.

They're good for traffic, changing gears in very low speed traffic can be a real pain, if you really can't grasp manual then better off with automatic - my cousin is in her 50's and goign to start taking lessons, she's want an auto cos t's easier and cos her left knee is bad so it's less strain for her.
  • Options
    For me there is a simple rule of thumb. people who choose to drive automatic because it's easy are just lazy, but no real bother.
    You still haven't explained why someone who isn't capable of driving a manual car is lazy? And no one said they drive auto because its easy.
    Those who drive automatic because they can't use a manual gearbox should stay the fuck off the road
    Well if your not a qualified driving instructor, I dont think you decied who is allowed to drive. After all, that's why all drivers have to go through practicing & exams, to decied weather they should be able to drive.
    because if you can't do more than one thing at a time then yuo are dangerous
    According to who, a qualified instructor or... you?
    I mean, how the hell do you think that you will be able to talk on the phone/change CDs/smoke/shave/read/look at a map [insert other distraction here] whilst driving if you can't even change gears
    Look at the list I gave, do you think that I think that those are good habits? Hell Irefer to them as "distractions" FFS
    Well you seemed to have made lite of it there.

So you now assuming that I'll will be doing those above? (which are dangerouse) You sure know me well...

If anything it would be alot easier doing all of the above, if your driving an automatic than a manual car.
  • Options
    Oh bless little Ilora, who wouldn't know sarcasm if it raped her up the arse.

It's a real shame you don't think like normal people:(
  • Options
    Thankyou, I'll take that as a compliment considering the fact that if I did infact share the same thoughts as the rest of TheSite's users, I'd have shot myself in the head by now :thumb:
    You're strange.

And I highly doubt he meant it as a complement ;)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh bless little Ilora, who wouldn't know sarcasm if it raped her up the arse.

It's a real shame you don't think like normal people:(

WTF? Just because Ilora's view on people who drive automatics begs some questions, she definitely doesn't deserve that response! either argue without flinging personal insults or keep it shut tbh.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    blah, blah, blah...

Dude, get a sense of humour.
  • Options
    Dude, get a sense of humour.
    I have, ha ha.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    WTF? Just because Ilora's view on people who drive automatics begs some questions, she definitely doesn't deserve that response!

But her saying that if she thought like me she'd commit suicide is acceptable, is it?