Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bush Is Assassinated!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5302598.stm

Well he will be on a TV show anyway. Naturally certain American groups, including the Republican Party have called for it not to be screened, America being the height of Freedom of Speech of course. Its claimed the show may cause extremists to reenact it. What a load of Tosh. I look forward to this show as I'm sure it will be interesting and entertaining.

Comments

• Options
    be afraid of the Red Republican Elephant Army!!!
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    certain American groups, including the Republican Party have called for it not to be screened, America being the height of Freedom of Speech of course. Its claimed the show may cause extremists to reenact it.
    Sure. Bush's coup d'etat in 2000 and the subsequent illegal wars and mass murdering of tens of thousands of people are apparently no catalyst for would-be assassins, but a fictional programme might flick them.

What a load of bollocks.

Oh well. I'll get my popcorn ready :)
  • Options
    It's a bit tasteless isn't it?

And calling for something not to be screened is fundamentally different from censorship, and is nothing to do with the Govt restricting free speech.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    And calling for something not to be screened is fundamentally different from censorship
    I don't see it that much different myself...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I don't see it that much different myself...

So whats the difference between them calling for it not to be screened and people calling for them to be ignored and for it to be screened. Given that neither the Texas Republican Party nor most of those who argue it should be screened (with the exception of C4) have no powers either way everyone is just expressing an opinion.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    What an overreaction. Typical rebulican party.

I bet if it showed Castro being assasinated they wouldn't be fucking upset.
    I don't know if there are many people in America who would want to watch something like that
    Gretchen Essell
    Republican Party of Texas

He's called Gretchen! Gretchin...

Anyway. So what if it does? Does it matter? I mean yeah, I often reanact things I see on TV. After watching Death Race 2000, I bolted a jet to my dads car and ran over babies with it afterall.
  • Options
    Asking for it not to be aired is effectively preventing people from seeing it. If that doesn't constitute as an attempt at censorship I don't know what does.

Anyone can do it, not just governments. Mary Whitehouse's crusades were essentially attempts to censor anything she saw as immoral or innapropriate.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Asking for it not to be aired is effectively preventing people from seeing it. If that doesn't constitute as an attempt at censorship I don't know what does.

Anyone can do it, not just governments. Mary Whitehouse's crusades were essentially attempts to censor anything she saw as immoral or innapropriate.

If you call for the Daily Mail to be banned its not censorship - now people may listen to you and decide not to read it, but its their own personal choice.

if you run a small newsagent and decide not to stock the Mail because you dislike its politics, it is a form of censorship, but likely to be pretty ineffective.

If you are the Chief exec of WH Smiths and decide not to stock the Mail, its censorship and more likely to be effective because the Mail looses such a big market it may have to change its editorial line or risk going bankrupt.

If you are a Government Minister and decide to ban the Mail from being sold that's definetly censorship.
  • Options
    What he said ^^^^

An opinion has been expressed by the Repulicans here, nothing more. Censorship would only occur if the film was actually banned.
  • Options
    In poor taste, yeah kinda. I don't really know whether I personaly like the idea of a show depicting our currently president being assassinated. But for fucks sake, there's no reason why it should be censored.

and by the way "screening" the film is a delicate way of saying "censorship"
  • Options
    What he said ^^^^

An opinion has been expressed by the Repulicans here, nothing more. Censorship would only occur if the film was actually banned.
    Unfortunately I fear the Republican Party of the USA actually has more power in this country than most people imagine.

At the end of the day it would only take 2 commands: one from Republican Party HQ to Bush, and another from Bush to Blair.

Any other era, and any other President and PM, the above would be totally inconceivable. In today's Britain, nothing is.
  • Options
    Has the film been stopped yet?

If not, you cannot cry "censorship"
  • Options

I assume this thread was started in the last 24 hours, might not have had time to put the wheels in motion yet. I'm willing the bet that there'll be an attempt to censore this movie in the near future
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Unfortunately I fear the Republican Party of the USA actually has more power in this country than most people imagine.

At the end of the day it would only take 2 commands: one from Republican Party HQ to Bush, and another from Bush to Blair.

Any other era, and any other President and PM, the above would be totally inconceivable. In today's Britain, nothing is.

Could you point out the legislation under which he'd ban it - otherwise I'm going to have to say 'bullshit' here.
  • Options

I can certainly say "an attempt at censorship".

Which is, have no doubt, what the Republican Party would do if it could get away with it at all.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Could you point out the legislation under which he'd ban it - otherwise I'm going to have to say 'bullshit' here.
    All I'm saying is that it's not inconceivable.

I'm sure someone could trumpet up some charges and seek an emergency injunction on 'security' or 'likeness to cause distress and offence' basis.

This is New Labour we're talking about, remember.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    All I'm saying is that it's not inconceivable.

I'm sure someone could trumpet up some charges and seek an emergency injunction on 'security' or 'likeness to cause distress and offence' basis.

This is New Labour we're talking about, remember.

Nothing inconceivable - I can conceive that Bush might send 101st Airborne in to raid Channel 4 HQ's. But it's highly unlikely.

Even Blair needs to work within the law.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Nothing inconceivable - I can conceive that Bush might send 101st Airborne in to raid Channel 4 HQ's. But it's highly unlikely.

Even Blair needs to work within the law.

thats why laws are badly writtend these days

*like my posts)
  • Options
    A TV drama realistically portraying the assassination of President Bush will no doubt provide some kind of cheap thrill to Islamic extremists and the left - goes without saying tbh. Other than that this is just the workings of some talentless director hoping to get some attention through cheap shocks. It shouldn't be banned but people with any sense will ignore it.
  • Options
    It makes me laugh how Hollywood can produce thousands of war, spy and action movies in which the all conquering Americans kill foreign rulers (some of them not so fiictional) and conquer countless nations but when somebody makes a docudrama about their precious President being assassinated people cry foul.
  • Options
    No, this shouldn't be banned because a couple of Neo-Con nutcases don't like the idea that Dubya could be assassinated. Doubtless that if Al Gore (known affectionately to me as The Great Bore) was "assassinated" in a TV show, we'd have the limp-fisted lefties that call themselves the Democrats moaning to high heaven about it as well.
  • Options
    A TV drama realistically portraying the assassination of President Bush will no doubt provide some kind of cheap thrill to Islamic extremists and the left - goes without saying tbh. Other than that this is just the workings of some talentless director hoping to get some attention through cheap shocks. It shouldn't be banned but people with any sense will ignore it.

Oh yes. I will definatly masterbate to this cheap thrill.
  • Options
    This is about the cloest the loonly left will ever get to their 'dream'. :D
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    This is about the cloest the loonly left will ever get to their 'dream'. :D

Do you really think its just people 'on the left' who want Bush out?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Do you really think its just people 'on the left' who want Bush out?

No, Islamic fascists aren't left wing - although oddly many of them are pretty cosy with the appeasing left, as we can see in the Stop the War Coalition and the Respect Party.

Anyway Bush won comfortably in 2004 thrashing Kerry - get used to it. Although don't expect the Democrats to get back in if they nominate Hillary Clinton.
  • Options
    Don't forget the immense majority of people in the UK (regardless of whether they are left or right wing), Europe, Africa, ME and the Far East/Australia.

I suppose people who are decent human beings and who also think Bush is a good President must exist. I don't think there are many of them though. The immense majority of the world would like Dubya to be out of office immediately- if only because nobody has invented a time machine to go back in time and stop the fucking cunt from gaining power in the first place.

That doesn't mean they would condonde their assassination of course- hell, I wouldn't want that even though I don't exactly think much of the man- but make no mistake that the immense majority of the world, I'd say more than 90%, would love to see that mass murdering, thick as two short planks, warmongering piece of shit not only out of office but thrown to rot in jail for his crimes against humanity.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Don't forget the immense majority of people in the UK (regardless of whether they are left or right wing), Europe, Africa, ME and the Far East/Australia.

So what? President Bush is the elected president of the United States - not Europe and Africa.
  • Options
    'So what' means that don't you think the only people who hate Bush are lefties and 'islamofascists'. The immense majority of the world including 99.99999% of decent human beings on this planet don't think much of the mass murdering spineless chimp either.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Its claimed the show may cause extremists to reenact it.

Well the party's at mine if they manage it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Well the party's at mine if they manage it.

byob?