Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Burns

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Options
    As a nice little summary to this I went to hunt down some medical opinion.

Now: Lavender oil, there;s no real evidence for this one like most homeopathic stuff but a lot of people think it works and helps soothe and promote healing of burns. Note that it shouldn't be put on fresh burns or open wounds.

At the time: COLD pretty much however you do it you can't go far wrong with cold water, run it under a tap, stick it into a bucket, whatever you can do really, for at least 10 minutes or until the pain goes away.

They say anything over the size of a 50p coin should be considered for medical attention and anything over palm size should definitely get it.
  • Options
    If anyone is interested, I constructed a mini splint out of plasters to keep it clean and still through the night, and it hurts a lot less today. :thumb:

It hasn't blistered at all, just gone a bit shiny and pale, so hopefull it's well on the way to healing fine.
  • Options
    Acriflex is the best burns cream ever! Im always burning myself and I always run it under the cold tap then once its gone down a bit put the acriflex on, you should be able to get it from the pharmacy.
  • Options
    im pretty sure for large burns you're supposed to run the area under cold water for 10 minutes then wrap tightly with some cling-flim...
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    im pretty sure for large burns you're supposed to run the area under cold water for 10 minutes then wrap tightly with some cling-flim...
    If its over the size of a 50p piece I think you are meant to go to casualty. I dont know about that clingfilm thing, if it is really big you are supposed to run it under cold water then put a clean tea towel over it.
  • Options
    Glad to hear it's healing well, kaffrin

NHS Direct's version of events with minor burns
  • Options
    For large burns, run under cold water then wrap LOOSELY in cling flim. Contrary to the name it doesn't stick, doesn't take out any of the remaining mositure and protects until you get it to hospital.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    First aid advice used to state use cold water but now they tend to advice tepid water instead. But I don't think this debate is particularly helpful as it was hours ago, cold or tepid water won't help now!

For most burns nowadays they advise tepid water, as it kkeps blood flowing to the wound to prevent healing. Cold water causes the blood vessels at the skin surface to constrict, whilst too warm water causes the vessels to dilate, therefore tepid water is the best option straight after the burn...