Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Burns

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I burnt myself on the iron this morning as I am a complete rem and should not be allowed near heated appliances. Anyway, it's a really minor burn and I'm sure it'll heal perfectly well on its own, but because of where it is (inside of my little finger) it's pretty sore and aches like a bugger every time I bend my finger.

Any ideas for making it hurt less?

Comments

• Options
    Savlon is good for burns and stuff I think.
  • Options
    Did you run it under cold water for 10 minutes or until it became less painful?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Did you run it under cold water for 10 minutes or until it became less painful?

Nope. It didn't hurt so much at the time, and plus I was late for work (hence me accidentally ironing my hand in my haste - is there a 'doh!' smiley?).
  • Options
    Running cold water isn't such a great idea really as it will only make it blister.
  • Options
    But that's what I always got told to do. But doesn't it make it less painful or something?
  • Options
    Don't bend it :p
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    Don't bend it

Thanks for that :p

I'm trying not to. I guess I could attempt to immobilise it with a couple of plasters while I'm at home and no one can see me looking like a divvy ;)
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Do not apply any cream to it!! soak it in room temperature water this is best, DO NOT have it too cold. Not alot you can do you will have to put up with the pain until it starts to heal but it should be alot better over night.
  • Options
    Running cold water isn't such a great idea really as it will only make it blister.

Do you know what you're talking about? Using cool/cold water on a burn lowers the temperature and helps to prevent deeper tissue than has already been affected from being damaged. 10 mins, cold water tap. don't do the butter thing.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Do you know what you're talking about? Using cool/cold water on a burn lowers the temperature and helps to prevent deeper tissue than has already been affected from being damaged. 10 mins, cold water tap. don't do the butter thing.

Do you know what your talking about? you should never use cold water, it should be at room temperature or maybe a lil colder, that brings the burn down !!
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    Do you know what your talking about? you should never use cold water, it should be at room temperature or maybe a lil colder, that brings the burn down !!

I don't believe you... I think you should use cool water from the cold water tap. Not ice, or ice cold because that will cause damage too. What do you know to the contrary?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

No not particularly but I speak from my experience of being a chef, whenever I burn myself I never put cold water on it I usually just cover the burn, I find when I do this I do not blister.
  • Options
    No not particularly but I speak from my experience of being a chef, whenever I burn myself I never put cold water on it I usually just cover the burn, I find when I do this I do not blister.

I too speak from experience as i have been pushed in a bonfire !! so i would say i may know a lil bit about burns!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    chill mr I was responding to Katralla. But if she wishes to jump down my throat too she is more than welcome too.:D
  • Options
    dunno 'bout the blister thing... they blister without cold water too- maybe it's coincidental? will google.
  • Options
    Im sure medically your right and maybe yes it is just coincidental.
  • Options
    chill mr I was responding to Katralla. But if she wishes to jump down my throat too she is more than welcome too.:D

Soz man, wasn't aimed at you more Katralla as she asked. I quoted you because you said you spoke from experience :lol:
  • Options
    Yikes.

Well, according to the wonder of the internet, the correct way = cold running water for 10 mins, don't put anything on it, cover with clean, dry dressing.

Easy peasy.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Also after research it would appear large serious burns should not be immersed in water as this could cause shock.
    you learn something new eh.
  • Options
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Oh my. This is getting heated.

I should be on the stage.
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    I too speak from experience as i have been pushed in a bonfire !! so i would say i may know a lil bit about burns!!!!!!!!!!!!

So?!!!!???!!!???!?!?!???????!!!! I've spent more than enough time on a burns ward myself. The general advice for a heat related burn is to COOL IT DOWN, running it under the cold water tap is the generally advised home remedy. If I'm wrong, PROVE IT!

As for blistering, I think it is dependent on the level(severity) of the burn, rather than whether you've used water on it afterwards.
  • Options
    OKOK cant be arsed to argue, your right !
  • Options
    I actually never meant to argue about it (ha, until I did)- just wanted the info to be most helpfull and correct to anyone who clicked on here... If they went away thinking they shouldn't put water on their burn, they could be doing themselves an unfavour. There are instances and reasons why not to of course, like if someone's really badly burnt and can't breath or whatever- you gotta keep them alive more importantly than cooling hte burn, and non-heat burns don't need cold water etc.

What burns do you have smitherz?
  • Options
    Mine wasnt that bad and it was years ago, pretty much all healed now apart from a few lil scars however i was pushed but not directly in the fire, i sort of landed on the metal frame of a mattress which was glowing red. Sort of got stuck to it but i got up quick enough it fucking hurt!
  • Options
    youch. I bet it did hurt- did you have grafts? did they mean to push you towards the fire or where you just shoving each other around?

I watched my daughter's skin balloon into a big massive blister then she pulled it off whilst screaming her lungs out- not pleasant, and the smell of burnt skin- yack. Scourched into my memory forever. and then the lecture of "and did you run her under the tap straight away?" er YES! and er "did the ambulance take a big massive diversion to the wrong hospital even though my mother the nurse told them to go straight to the burns unit and which hospital it was?" er YES! (not bitter or anything) and have I spent far too fucking long in that place, after infections and isolation and skin grafts and bandages for nearly two years- I'm going with cold water.

I also have an iron burn myself, it's pretty cool though I think. The scar is flat and just a darker shade of skin in a triangle shape but it's fading now. My cunting cousin thought it would be funny (yeah, hilarious) to burn me with an iron! Cold Water, hospital. yup cold water again.
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    Do not apply any cream to it!!

Indeed. TBH, if it was a small burn (I've had plenty of these, mainly from cooking, being burnt on the back of my hand with hot tongs and pouring boiled water over my thumb:rolleyes: ) I wouldn't really worry about it. Put something on it like some tissue and medical tape. (can't remember the name of the stuff, tbh)
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    So?!!!!???!!!???!?!?!???????!!!! I've spent more than enough time on a burns ward myself. The general advice for a heat related burn is to COOL IT DOWN, running it under the cold water tap is the generally advised home remedy. If I'm wrong, PROVE IT!

I agree with you, well thats what i was told on my first aid course a couple of years ago and what i always do when i burn myself on my hair straighteners...actually that was not successful when i burnt my neck as a couldn't get my head in the sink and I had already drank more than a few glasses of wine :rolleyes:
  • Options
    First aid advice used to state use cold water but now they tend to advice tepid water instead. But I don't think this debate is particularly helpful as it was hours ago, cold or tepid water won't help now!