Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

books

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    My favourite books are:
    "Uncle Petros and Goldbach's conjecture" (Don't let the title scare you :p)
    "Sophie's world"
    "The mothman prophecies"
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Briggi recommended The Women's Room in the last thread on books. Boy, did i shed a tear!!
  • Options
    Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky FTW.

If you want English Lit, try some George Eliot - start with Silas Marner its nice and short and has a happy ending.
  • Options
    Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.

Yup. Or should I say 'Da'?

Currently re-reading Cather in the Rye. Good book.

Books are cool I guess.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hooray for book threads... :yippe:

I have to agree that Shadow of the Wind has been one of my favourite reads this year. However it was topped by The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (feminist masterpiece) - it's incredible and one of the most underrated novels I've come across. I also read The Kite Runner recently by Khaled Hosseini - recommended by Jon UK in one of these threads I think and it's easily as good as Shadow of The Wind - one of those books that stays with you for ages and really makes you re-assess the way you think about life - most insightful.

We Need to Talk about Kevin is next on my list...
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I love reading. I read mainly girlie things, but am always up for something different if it looks interesting. I like "real life" books as I call them as well. Not so much autobiographies, but I've read the Sara Payne book, the Holly Wells one, and I Choose To Live by Sabine Dardenne (Now that had me crying)

P.S Sophia that actually sounds quite fun!
  • Options
    If you want an easy, fun book I'd suggest both Fup and Stone Junction by Jim Dodge.

Fup is a tiny title allegory, but it's magical whereas Stone Junction is simply a superb romp through outlaw America.

Other than that I've just finished Barry Gifford's Sailor and Lulu novels - fucking brilliant.

Look the idea of a book group.
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    I'm currently reading a lot of Matthew Reilly books and find them brilliant.

Don't read them if you want character development though. They're just great fun and full of action all the way.
  • Options
    I read alot of books, not necessarily story books though.
  • Options
    I read a lot but find it hard to find things I really like. I loved the Kite Runner. And a book called If no one speaks of remarkable things.

I tend to prefer autobiographies and non fiction travel books.

Or trashy women lit stuff to read in the bath. I just read one called Mums@Home by Sophie King which I enjoyed.

I like Emily Barr's books (eg Cuban Heels, Backpack, Baggage) but the last one was a bit boring and they've become a bit samey.
  • Options
    I read a lot of books - mostly liking girlie books or crime books.
    And I love the idea of a thesite book club - that would be fun :) but I guess we would have to choose books that most of us could find in the library because I'm sure we cant all afford to buy new books all the time.
    If you do want to buy a book and its a newish mainstream type one - go to Tesco, they have them for £3.73 :)
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree about 'We need to talk about Kevin' - it was thought-provoking but I hated the way it was written and struggled to finish it. If you are interested in those kind of human tragedy stories, there are a lot better ones out there.
    Right now I am reading 'perfect match' by Jodi Picoult and its brilliant so far, I cant put it down and have nearly finished it after 2 days reading :) - just hoping the ending doesnt disappoint me like the end of her 'my sister's keeper' did.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Well, I'm going to recommend the same books I always recommend. :D

Mark Haddon - 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time'
    Augusten Burroughs - 'Running With Scissors', 'Dry' (you have to read those two in that order...) and 'Sellevision'
    Dean Koontz - Velocity

AND! littlemissy will know, I think she's read it - who wrote The Wasp Factory? Is it Iain Banks? Am I making that up?!!

I'm not a massive massive reader, but they're my favourites.
  • Options
    I am going to reccomend the Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - I :heart: Sylvia.

Even though she is best known for her poetry her prose is excellent - its quite a short book and very easy to read.

If you want something trashy and girlie then i reccomend the Au Pair novels or the Insiders Novels you can easily read one in a day - I also have a bit of a thing for Jacqui Collins novels but they are bigger.

If you like stuff that's true rather than novels then one of the most amasing books i've read recently is "The Great Escape" - its the book the film was based on and its a true story and amazing.

Also as lots of people have reccomended The Catcher in the Rye which is my all time favourite (I did it as my A-Level english dissertation thingy with the bell jar)

I want to join a thesite book club - if you do classics which are now beyond their copywrite date you can even pick up really cheap new copies of things - i've seen lots of Dickens esque stuff in the shops for under a pound.

xx
  • Options
    Do you not find Catcher in the Rye is such a strange book in that a different stages of life it reads like a completely different novel. When I read it as a teenager I was blown away, re-reading it now I'm still blown away by the writing, but don't side with Holden at all.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Well, I'm going to recommend the same books I always recommend. :D

Mark Haddon - 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time'
    Augusten Burroughs - 'Running With Scissors', 'Dry' (you have to read those two in that order...) and 'Sellevision'
    Dean Koontz - Velocity

AND! littlemissy will know, I think she's read it - who wrote The Wasp Factory? Is it Iain Banks? Am I making that up?!!

I'm not a massive massive reader, but they're my favourites.

Ian Banks wrote the Wasp Factory. I didn't rate it much tbh. Didn't like it.

I would be up for a thesite book club. Great idea :thumb:
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Do you not find Catcher in the Rye is such a strange book in that a different stages of life it reads like a completely different novel. When I read it as a teenager I was blown away, re-reading it now I'm still blown away by the writing, but don't side with Holden at all.

Absolutely! That's kind of what I meant when I said I'd re-read it more recently and still enjoyed it but I definitely didn't relate to Holden in the way I [thought I] did when I read it at a younger age.

I think it's a rite of passage reading it as a teenager and absolutely thinking that Holden Caulfield is the poster child for every single emotion and experience you're going through. Angry young people, eh. Ah, memories.. :blush:

I mentioned a thesite book club on that "what are you reading now" thread and only talia and I were interested I do believe :p It would depend entirely on what kind of books it was as to whether I was interested, I'm not ashamed to admit I'm an unabashed book snob.

The Bell Jar is excellent, really good call Wyetry. I also read a fascinating biography of Plath recently though can't for the life of me remember the biographer's name, she is fascinating and I agree that her prose is vastly overshadowed by her poetry (which I also LOVE, especially "Daddy" and "Mad Girl's Love Song").
  • Options
    If you get a chance it's worth seeing the Mark Steel lecture on Plath, it's quality edutainment.

On the topic of the book club I like the idea of a classic so it's cheap for everyone - anyone want to start a thread for suggestions and to show who is interested?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    When I read "Catcher in the Rye", I disliked Holden more and more as the story went so from some point afterwards I wasn't really paying attention to the book. I've not gotten around to reading it again.
    Some time later, they told me about the part in the book where it gets its title from, and I was surprised that I didn't remember that part at all. I did go and read just this part again, and I'm still amazed about how someone that I disliked so much from the beginning could have the same dream I did at the time (and still do, to a lesser extent).
  • Options
    It might sound strange, but to establish a taste, you can always read classics. I picked this up somewhere, not really sure how effective it is. What I know is that you're not wasting your time while reading them (IMO). :)

Just finished Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea. It's great and very touching. And it's not a very demanding book.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    Just finished Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea. It's great and very touching. And it's not a very demanding book.

I had to write a 3000 word essay on existentialism on that book, then you'll know how demanding it is. Though it is a brilliant wee story, my favourite ever.
  • Options
    I always recommend The Time-Traveler's Wife in every single one of these threads, because its such an all-time top quality book. The story is wonderful if you suspend can your disbelief, and the prose isn't too heavy.

Definitely have a scope of the His Dark Materials trilogy, I can't believe nobody's mentioned it yet!

For the veggies amongst us, have a read of My Year of Meat by Ruth Ozeki, its a cracking book, very thought-provoking.

I wouldn't touch Jane Austen with yours. She has to be one of the most overhyped authors of all time (although she's admittedly not as talentless or overhyped as Zadie fucking Smith).
  • Options
    I always recommend The Time-Traveler's Wife in every single one of these threads, because its such an all-time top quality book. The story is wonderful if you suspend can your disbelief, and the prose isn't too heavy.

I love this book.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee will always be one of my all time favourites and it's not too daunting either.

A really gripping book I couldn't put down was The Minotaur by Barbara Vine aka Ruth Rendell. It depends what genre you prefer. Currently I'm loving thriller :heart:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I forgot this one. It is amazing.
    Definitely have a scope of the His Dark Materials trilogy, I can't believe nobody's mentioned it yet!

I mentioned it :(
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Fact, it is an incredible book, I loved it.

Though when it comes to His Dark Materials, my enthusiasm fell off sharply after the first book. I really enjoyed the first one, but the second I thought was a bit crap and I couldn't even bring myself to finish the third.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Fact, it is an incredible book, I loved it.

Though when it comes to His Dark Materials, my enthusiasm fell off sharply after the first book. I really enjoyed the first one, but the second I thought was a bit crap and I couldn't even bring myself to finish the third.

The first one is the best of the three but I still thoroughly enjoyed the series.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

yea, that one was really good!
    For the veggies amongst us, have a read of My Year of Meat by Ruth Ozeki, its a cracking book, very thought-provoking.

i forgot about this one, I loved it and still have a copy sitting on my bookshelf.

I just finished 'perfect match' (Jodi Picoult) this morning and it was really great.
  • Options
    the handmaids tail

a fave