Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

books

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yerascrote wrote:
    I had to write a 3000 word essay on existentialism on that book, then you'll know how demanding it is. Though it is a brilliant wee story, my favourite ever.

Yes, of course. As a good read, it's excellent.
  • Options
    I read John Grishams "The Broker" in english recently.

I read "0" (in english: "improbable") by adam fawer and enjoyed it a lot.

Currently I am reading John Grishams "Das Urteil" (english: runaway jury), a book by H.P. Lovecraft and a criminal story by Rex Stout, I am starting to like his style.

/e: by reading about "catcher in the rye". I never had to read it from school (german class), so I never read it (reading was a struggle back then ;p), but I heard it being mentioned in some kind of films, like the one with mel gibson (fletcher's his name), he has like 12 copies of it at home. I told my friend about it, and he got a copy. I should read it.

In school I had to read a lot of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Friedrich Schiller, Georg Büchner, Hermann Hesse, Thomas Mann, Bertolt Brecht. I would've liked it more if I developed the taste myself and wasn't forced by it :l

I am trying to get more insight on more eminent books instead of the mere fiction. Hope reading won't start to bore me then.
  • Options
    I'd have to agree with Indrid Cold about "Sophie's World", I'm reading it at the mo and it's fantastic. I'm only about 100 pages in, but so far it seems Gaarder has a knack for being able to explain philosophical arguments clearly, instead of confusing people. The plot is quite intriguing too!

And mark me up as another fan of "The Time-Traveller's Wife", I loved that book.
  • Options
    Fuck, I hadn't visited the entertainment forum in too long a while, I had missed this thread! I absolutely adore :heart: to read. A lot of the best books have already been mentioned, but I'll go on anyway and say my classic favourites :p

My all-time favourite author is Jane Austen, I read Pride and Prejudice every year. Charlotte Brontë I like a lot as well, but not as much as Austen.

Wuthering Heights is another one of my all-time faves, a bit of a cliché by now but still it's wonderful.

After Peter Jackson you can't talk the same way about LOTR, but to be fair, I can't leave it out, it's been one of my most enjoyable reads ever.

And there are a ton more but if you're looking for a good read that won't bore you, you should try reading magical realism, espcially 100 Years of Solitude by Nobel prize winner Gabriel García Márquez. I've recommended it on other threads before, and I'll keep doing it because it is definitely one of the finest novels in the world.

And I definitely want to take part in the book club!

EDIT- How could I have forgotten Alessandro Baricco? To call this Italian author's work 'beautiful' is an understatement. His style is simply perfect, very aesthetic. Try reading OceanSea which is more prose-like. I read this book two years ago while travelling through Europe, and it was heavenly. His first novel, Silk, is beautiful but more poetic.