Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ideas please for lunches

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok i am trying to lose weight so please bear that in mind when replying.
I normally have sandwiches or similar for lunch as thats my light meal of the day.
But i am sick of them. What could i have that wouldn't be that bad? I don't want a main meal as i have that in the evening but something that would fill me up.

Suggestions please.

I don't like tomato or fresh fish.

Comments

• Options
    tin of soup and 2 slices toast. Thats what I just had.
  • Options
    not that its lunchtime yet I guess. Im just not very good at going without eating for more than about an hour or two.
  • Options
  • Options
    how about noodles with pesto. Healthy (olive oil), almost no fat, filling.
  • Options
    Do you like cereal? You could have a sensible portion of cereal with skimmed milk for your lunch, I sometimes have porridge as it's low in calories and stodges me out for hours.
  • Options
    weightwatchers meals are tiny so you could have one of those for lunch.

low fat supernoodles

jacket potato and low fat filling
  • Options
    Salad always fills me up, and if you use a simple balsamic vinegar as the dressing there isn't much fat in it at all. And it tastes nice.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Salad always fills me up

What do you have in it?
  • Options
    I normally put lettuce (red and green romaine normally), red onion, grated carrot, some cashew and pine nuts, and somtimes a bit of grated cheese in it too, and drizzle balsamic vinegar over the top.

The nuts do have fat in them, but its important oil to have in your diet.

Because salad doesn't have that much in it, you can safely graze away until you're full. Just be careful with the dressing.
  • Options
    tin of soup and 2 slices toast. Thats what I just had.

Yep soup is really filling and comes in loads of varieties so you can get loads of different tastes - although the Asda reduced salt range is horrid!! :yuck:
  • Options
    Dust.
  • Options
    Dust.

:thumb: :lol:

I'd third the soup recommendation - get a chunky one with lots of veg and that'll fill you up - with toast or bread.

I just had tomato soup with two slices of marmite and cheese on toast. Not that that's healthy or anything, and it's tomato which you don't like but...still :yum:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    :thumb: :lol:

I'd third the soup recommendation - get a chunky one with lots of veg and that'll fill you up - with toast or bread.

I just had tomato soup with two slices of marmite and cheese on toast. Not that that's healthy or anything, and it's tomato which you don't like but...still :yum:
    Tomato soup is ok, just not fresh tomato ;)
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Tomato soup is ok, just not fresh tomato ;)

Ah, I see. I was going to say... life without tomato soup would not be worth living! :p
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Salad always fills me up, and if you use a simple balsamic vinegar as the dressing there isn't much fat in it at all. And it tastes nice.

Aww I wish salad filled me up :(

I would go for jacket potato and tuna or I'm liking the marmite and cheese on toast option.

Tomato soup :yuck: sorry Briggi
  • Options
    toasted bagel & philadelphia :thumb:
  • Options
    Baked potato with a huge salad and some sort of low fat dressing like asda yoghurt and mint.
  • Options
    how about a wholemeal pitta bread with salad in it? tuna?
  • Options
    How about an omelette with lots of veg in it? Or (reduced fat) hummus with fresh veg and mini pitta breads to dip in it.
  • Options
    yea i know how u feel you just want a change from everyday sandwiches. have the grilled chicken wit lettuce
  • Options
    exactly my thinking.
    Have a chicken ceasar salad!!
  • Options
    why do people assume a salad is a low kcal option. - something like a ceasar salad is likely to pack in over 600kcals! - not the ideal to loose weight imo.
    basically you just need to expend more energy than you giving your body atm to loose weight if thats what you want to do. and exercise (not just food) is critical to that!
    ideas for lunch?
    - i'd suggest and omlette or jacket potato or small pasta salad or similar if you're bored of sandwiches. although you could always try using different types of breads: baguette, ciabatta, pitta, etc and different fillings; hummus and chargrilled veg is a good one ;) - also, remember to pack lots of veg alongside whatever the main filling is as its low in kcals but helps keep you feeling fuller for longer than without it, plus its good for you - at least that should stop you from getting bored of the same sandwiches for a while. :)
  • Options
    Houmous and pitta bread with salad is nice. I dont think that's unhealthy hm. Houmous is made out of chick peas.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Houmous and pitta bread with salad is nice. I dont think that's unhealthy hm. Houmous is made out of chick peas.
    I LOVE that. One of my faves atm.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    why do people assume a salad is a low kcal option

Salad is a low fat and low calorie option, until you smother it in fatty dressings.

Use a low-fat dressing, or better still just use things like vinegar and herbs, and salad is the most healthy thing you can eat. And as things like lettuce and celery are basically calorie-free, you just keep eating until you are full.

If you're trying to lose weight a chicken caesar salad is not a good idea, and nor is a carb-laden meal, such as jacket potato or pasta. Jacket potatoes also have the same problem with dressings- cheese, butter, beans and mayo are not exactly low-calorie.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:

Hummous is very very high in fat.
  • Options
    Damn
  • Options
    You can get low fat ones or make it yourself.
  • Options
    you can get half fat versions which arent too bad, but i think the fat in its a good fat.