Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does the nerd ever get the girl?

Does the nerd ever get the girl?

i was just wondering this because i never seem to.

im a 20 year old guy with relatively low self confidence, im pretty sensitive (so im told) but i dont know for myself, im pretty quiet, not a huge conversationalist outside my groups of friends,

im also a monogamist(dunno if thats a real word but it sums me up) it means i only like 1 girl at a time, i dont enjoy being this way but i cant help it i always have been, on a downside it means all my eggs are in 1 basket, on a + side it makes me very faithfull, and im not easily tempted,

i love to read, fantasy and historic fiction mostly, im an online gaming nut, and the rest of my interests are pretty nerdlike too, being a nerd doesnt bother me in the slightest im even proud of it but it really damages my confidence with girls,

im a little old fashioned too i love to treat a girl well and was brought up to value manners, however these days manners dont mean what they used to, the only people they impress are the older women i work with, girls my own age sometimes even treat it with outright hostility.

so come on guys and girls, nerds rise up and gimme some success stories and maybe a little hope,

thanks all
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If the nerd stays at home with his role play and his computer games then no.

If the nerd thinks that because he's "sensitive" and "cares for women" then that's enough to win a girl, then no.

If the nerd is himself, has a sense of humour, doesn't take himself seriously and is prepared to have a punt, then yes.
  • Options
    ok well for starters im always myself, i did say im proud of what i am why would i hide it?

i think i have a passable sense of humour (low self confidense wont allow me to say anymore than that)

and no i realise that being sensitive isnt enough to get a girl i was just using the word as an insight into my world,

and i am prepared to have a go, however it takes time to build the self confidense up, as for the online gaming thing it is my hobby and i play regularly however do have a relatively good social life,

what i cannot do however is "cold call" girls, i have to feel i know them a little first, i cant just go up to a girl in a bar and ask for her number, its not me,
  • Options
    Shitehawke wrote:
    and i am prepared to have a go, however it takes time to build the self confidense up, as for the online gaming thing it is my hobby and i play regularly however do have a relatively good social life,

I don't really get why online gaming is something you see as something that would stop you getting a girl.

Is it any "worse" than going on websites like this, downloading music, or whatever else? There are people on here who never tire of telling us how fit they are, yet being on here isn't really different from playing games?

Where do you draw the line? Do people who play Yahoo Pool not get laid? Solitaire?

So long as it doesn't take over your life then there aint a problem, whatever your hobby happens to be (unless it involves PVC and livestock)
    Shitehawke wrote:
    what i cannot do however is "cold call" girls, i have to feel i know them a little first, i cant just go up to a girl in a bar and ask for her number, its not me,

Why would you do that?

Have a chat first, then ask for her number or give her yours.

Very few people actually do that anyway.
  • Options
    i dont think online gaming stops you getting girls at all i was responding to kermits post with that,

i do have a very hard time initiating conversations tho, maybe i take to long trying to get to know a girl i dunno?

thing is tho (and i know this is very unusual) i dont wanna just get laid, i wont deny that it aint in my mind but i want something a little more meaningfull than that, casual sex appart form the thrill and enjoyment of the experience does nothing for me, i dont feel better afterwards or like ive achieved anything
  • Options
    What will usually happen is that the nerd will undergo a character arc throughout the course of the plot, as will the love interest. As a result, he will find the things within himself that will make him attractive to her, and she will throw aside her preconceptions of him being a nerd, and realise he completes her. Every teen film in history is like this.
    Shitehawke wrote:
    ok well for starters im always myself, i did say im proud of what i am why would i hide it?
    Make sure you are. There's nothing more of a turn off for a girl than someone who agrees with everything she says at the risk of disagreeing and offending her or ruining things.
    Shitehawke wrote:
    and no i realise that being sensitive isnt enough to get a girl i was just using the word as an insight into my world,
    Being sensitive is something you do when you're alreadty going out with someone when they're upset or feeling down to show you care. Those initial stages are about making someone feel good when you're around them. If someone comes to you with all their problems and you listen patiently and are really sensitive and what have you, the chances are you'll never see them naked. However, if they come to you, and you make them forget about their problems instead, and make them feel happy, then that's when you become boyfriend material.
    Shitehawke wrote:
    Not many people can. It's something that some people can do naturally. For anyone else, you have to learn how to do it. However, the ability to chat girls up in bars isn't necessary to meet nice girls. There are plenty of other ways. In fact check out the thread on Best Places to Meet New People, and you'll see that hardly anyone thinks that clubs are good for meeting potential partners.

Oh and to answer your question, nerds with personality are (in a slightly camp accent) so in right now. Think Seth off The OC, Zach Braff, Chandler off Friends, Xander from Buffy, thingy off Spiderman, there's loads of them and the ladies can't get enough.
  • Options
    Shitehawke wrote:
    thing is tho (and i know this is very unusual) i dont wanna just get laid,
    Not unusual at all. I would say that most guys would prefer something more meaningful than a bit of casual sex. But I think even thinking of this is already putting pressure on you. If you approach every girl you like with the idea of a serious relationship in the back of your mind, then it can be a problem.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Confidence is the key, not only to a lot of girls find it attractive, but it also means you'll be more likely to approach girls in the first place. You need to be a little bit cocky when approaching girls. Being nice is boring.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    You need to be a little bit cocky when approaching girls. Being nice is boring.
    Yeah, I'd say a measure of how good you are is how long it is before you can insult her and have her take it as a joke.
  • Options
    You've basically described me buddy, and i've got a girlfriend (well at the minute anyway...)

Just need to find the right opportunity, my girlfriend doesn't really like the same things as me (I love 30's jazz bands and ww2, she's into punk and all that crap) but we get on great (well...most of the time...) and that's all that really matters. It's justa case of being yourself and proud of who you are. When i was asked what my favourite films were i said Kolberg i think us nerds should be proud of it :)
  • Options
    You've basically described me buddy, and i've got a girlfriend (well at the minute anyway...)

Just need to find the right opportunity, my girlfriend doesn't really like the same things as me (I love 30's jazz bands and ww2, she's into punk and all that crap) but we get on great (well...most of the time...) and that's all that really matters. It's justa case of being yourself and proud of who you are. When i was asked what my favourite films were i said Kolberg i think us nerds should be proud of it :)
    #

nerd legend :)
  • Options
    Everyone says to act like yourself, but I fell into the trap of not listening.

I tried to 'chat up' this girl that I really liked. It was going really badly and it just wasn't me. So one day I bumped into her on her way to work, I just started talking to her. I was really nervous, but I asked her some questions and told her a little about myself. It worked.

So my advice is, try not to act like a total nerd, keep it bottled up for a few weeks. After a month, my girlfriend now knows exactly how many computers I have and little and my weird hobbies -like learning sign language :)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If the nerd stays at home with his role play and his computer games then no.

If the nerd thinks that because he's "sensitive" and "cares for women" then that's enough to win a girl, then no.

If the nerd is himself, has a sense of humour, doesn't take himself seriously and is prepared to have a punt, then yes.

if only life were this simple
  • Options
    So my advice is, try not to act like a total nerd, keep it bottled up for a few weeks. After a month, my girlfriend now knows exactly how many computers I have and little and my weird hobbies -like learning sign language :)
    That's not keeping it bottled up though, that's just choosing things to talk about that you think the other person will be interested in. I don't talk about football with people who aren't into football. I don't talk about computers with people who know nothing about them. You do that with friends, not just girlfriends.
  • Options
    Oh and to answer your question, nerds with personality are (in a slightly camp accent) so in right now. Think Seth off The OC, Zach Braff, Chandler off Friends, Xander from Buffy, thingy off Spiderman, there's loads of them and the ladies can't get enough.

Thats intreresting (by 'thingy' off spiderman do you mean peter marker?) (toby maguire)

does playing video games watching violent movies and anime flicks make you a nerd
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Skive wrote:
    Confidence is the key, not only to a lot of girls find it attractive, but it also means you'll be more likely to approach girls in the first place. You need to be a little bit cocky when approaching girls. Being nice is boring.

:yes: too true but take it easy on the insults. I was in a bar once and a guy I'd been chatting to suddenly started to insult me based on what I was wearing. I turned round, slapped him, and walked away. It was only after I clicked that he was actually trying to chat me up :blush:

There's a Q&A in our askTheSite archive called Beauty and the Geek you might find helpful - a lot of it actually confirms what's already been said (A sure sign that these lot know their stuff ;) )

Welcome to TheSite btw :)
  • Options
    Shitehawke wrote:
    i love to read, fantasy and historic fiction mostly, im an online gaming nut, and e slightest im even proud of it but it really damages my confidence with girls,

That's the key point, you're content with yourself but you think that people see you a nerd then they aren't going to want to be with you.

Look at me, I'm well into my Disney films. I love old slushy love songs, and I'm not scared to say that I'm maybe not fantastically well educated and I don't have a car or a massive salary, but I'm happy and I think the girl I like likes me for being me.

Chances are you won't be as happy in a relationship if you've totally changed yourself, than you would be if you were yourself.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    :yes: too true but take it easy on the insults. I was in a bar once and a guy I'd been chatting to suddenly started to insult me based on what I was wearing. I turned round, slapped him, and walked away. It was only after I clicked that he was actually trying to chat me up :blush:
    Oh God yeah, you've got to pick what you take the piss out of carefully. Even I know that you never take the piss out of a girls clothes. And also if you're going to compliment anything, then clothes are the best way to go, because it's complimenting her personality (i.e. good dress sense) but also blatantly saying that you think she looks hot.
  • Options
    if only life were this simple

Life is that simple.

If you can have a punt, and take it on the chin when she says no, then you won't go far wrong.

There's nothing wrong with any hobby, certainly not reading or online gaming (who am I to comment, look at my post count here!) but if it means you never leave your bedroom you won't meet people. That was my point.

I don't think its fair to say that people won't want to be with a "nerd" (God, I hate that word). If you are confident about what you do, and say "this is me, like it or lump it" then you won't go far wrong. People will only find it unattractive if they get the feeling you're ashamed of your hobbies, or if it swallows your entire life.
  • Options
    thanks for the imput guys appreciate it, alot of true points there i guess i do think girls wont like me cos of my nerdiness, also doesnt help that i dont ever seem to meet/fall for girls with simillar interests to me, keep posting if you have any new thoughts on this theres no such thing as too much feedback,
  • Options
    Why does she have to have similar interests as you?

And what do you mean by that? Likes to read or reads Terry Pratchett books specifically?

Basically you're gonna have to go to a place with girls. These mythical 'girls' are quite social, and probably don't play counter strike in their bedrooms like us :)
  • Options
    Why does she have to have similar interests as you?

In one way it can make it easier to get along with someone. I think that's what the OP is trying to get at.
  • Options
    yeah what i mean is simillar interests automatically give you a conversation starter rather than fishing for one
  • Options
    Shitehawke wrote:
    yeah what i mean is simillar interests automatically give you a conversation starter rather than fishing for one

I've found this alot. Also, it can be easier than just saying stuff like 'um, I'm sorry, but I don't have a clue what you're talking about'.
  • Options
    why would you playing a computer game make any difference to what a girl thinks about you? as long as you're not completley obsessed with it and you go out and have fun then it shouldn't matter.
  • Options
    maybe its just me stereotyping, i have been knocked back for being nerdlike before, so i guess its dented my confidence, i suppose i dont fit the nerd category that well people always seem surprised when they learn my interests, maybe i have convinced myself that girls dont like nerd because of tv and films etc.
  • Options
    Shitehawke wrote:
    maybe its just me stereotyping, i have been knocked back for being nerdlike before, so i guess its dented my confidence, i suppose i dont fit the nerd category that well people always seem surprised when they learn my interests, maybe i have convinced myself that girls dont like nerd because of tv and films etc.
    do you dress like a nerd?
  • Options
    Well, this "nerd" has certainly managed to pull a few times by now. This "nerd" in question now has an utterly gorgeous girlfriend, and still he doesn't know how he managed to get her as his girlfriend! :D

Seriously, you've been watching too many programmes aimed for US teenagers. Real life isn't like Saved From The Bell, you know. It certainly isn't the case that, when a man puts on some glasses and dressing in something slightly conservative, that he becomes some kind of "nerd", some social outcast. If you focused more on getting to know some women, and focused less on pointless, artificial labels, you'd have pulled by now. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    . Real life isn't like Saved From The Bell, you know.

I wish it was :(

That programme was so cool.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    I wish it was :(
    That programme was so cool.
    I suspect even the really "nerdy" one - whose name I can't remember - could probably pull a stunner if he tried. It's not just Zac who'd get all the action in real life. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I suspect even the really "nerdy" one - whose name I can't remember - could probably pull a stunner if he tried. It's not just Zac who'd get all the action in real life. :p

Aww Screech.

His nerdness was just like so cool.