Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Best Place To Meet Someone For A Relationship?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Where do you reckon? Most definately not a nightclub for sure! I am starting to run out of ideas.

Comments

• Options
    I would say work but from experience that can turn out to be the worst thing possible.
  • Options
    Do you have a hobby?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Do you have a hobby?

Swimming at the moment.
  • Options
    How old are you? You a student?
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    How old are you? You a student?

Had one slime try and pick me up at the pool. Im 20, yes a student at uni. More interested in meeting women, but getting sick of dating sites and gay bars where all you tend to have in common is sexuality.
  • Options
    Fairy wrote:
    Most definately not a nightclub for sure!

Agreed. Not only because of the huge amounts of alcohol already consumed by the time you get there, but with the music cranked up to eleven you're just never gonna be able to get into meaningful conversations.

I like to bump into the girl a few times, get to know them gradually before I ask them out. But the only place where I get to do that is at work. And staff turnovers high but not that high.
  • Options
    Agreed. Not only because of the huge amounts of alcohol already consumed by the time you get there, but with the music cranked up to eleven you're just never gonna be able to get into meaningful conversations.

I like to bump into the girl a few times, get to know them gradually before I ask them out. But the only place where I get to do that is at work. And staff turnovers high but not that high.

Totally...although there are rare ocassions! Was in a year and a half relationship from a nightclub, highly unusual though.

Guess work is a good place. Heard of other people meeting partners there. Maybe if I get a part time job...
  • Options
    i've met all my boyfriends in bars or nightclubs. i don't see whats wrong with it!
  • Options
    So that's nightclubs and work, then. Surely there's a (better) third option ...
  • Options
    the gym?
  • Options
    the gym?

eww the slimes you'd get in there, i cant think of anything worse!

just to add my twopence to the original question: i think finisding a new partner is about expanding your social interations by getting yourself out and about. if you think of the number of couples who found their partners "through a friend of a friend"etc....dont forget your friends are less likely to hang around with people who are freaks (otherwise you'd be a freak too, yeah?), instead they will be hangin around people who are not too disimilar to you. and thus begins the networking!

its important to think about scheduling your social life and making sure its as bigger part of your life as uni work etc. that way you'll have better chance of coming into contact with someone you like, but you must remember youre not on a quest to find a new partner, youre on a quest to meet some wicked people, and if you meet that special person on the way then so be it!

as for your hobbies, i dont think swimming will get you much. just think of the slimes you get hanging around swimming pools; are they talking to you because they think youre interesting or are they looking at the v shape on your chest.

the best 'place' to meet someone for a relationship is through your friends.

just do it ;)
  • Options
    The web :)

It's where I found my love and it is working damn well...

Just do a nice screening process via email and msn like I did ;)
  • Options
    Friends of friends or acquiantences of friends. All but one person I've been with has been that (all if you include a relative of the groom at a wedding) You'll be with a friend and they'll have a friend or person that will come over or come with and sometimes you just hit it off. I wouldn't trust clubs or bars anything else really. Its all just a bunch of random unknown strangers. All kinds of freaks out there.
  • Options
    eww the slimes you'd get in there, i cant think of anything worse!

just to add my twopence to the original question: i think finisding a new partner is about expanding your social interations by getting yourself out and about. if you think of the number of couples who found their partners "through a friend of a friend"etc....dont forget your friends are less likely to hang around with people who are freaks (otherwise you'd be a freak too, yeah?), instead they will be hangin around people who are not too disimilar to you. and thus begins the networking!

its important to think about scheduling your social life and making sure its as bigger part of your life as uni work etc. that way you'll have better chance of coming into contact with someone you like, but you must remember youre not on a quest to find a new partner, youre on a quest to meet some wicked people, and if you meet that special person on the way then so be it!

as for your hobbies, i dont think swimming will get you much. just think of the slimes you get hanging around swimming pools; are they talking to you because they think youre interesting or are they looking at the v shape on your chest.

the best 'place' to meet someone for a relationship is through your friends.

just do it ;)

Hehe :) Yes slimes at gyms and pools defo! Lol Guess maybe I am thinking of it as a quest, should forget about it and just enjoy myself. Then maybe Ill meet someone decent with any luck! Friends sounds a good way...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Walkign the dog.
    It's worked for me, twice. :thumb:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Almost everyone I know in a relationship met through school, college, uni or work. The other main one, like everyone's said, is friends of friends or friends, as you're more likely to meet them some place you can talk. I think that certain people can be successful meeting partners in clubs, but I think it's quite rare for anyone to get anything meaningful with someone they know from clubbing (unless again, it's meeting friends of friend while out). I also think you have to be the right type of person.

The one that get's me is when everyone suggests that you join a club to meet new people. Now the meeting new people thing is fine, but I would be really annoyed if I joined a club to learn a new skill or whatever, and it was full of people trying to meet boyfriends and girlfriends. I can't say I know of any couples who know each other from doing anything like that.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Friends of friends or acquiantences of friends.

:yes: Definitely.

Sort of works as a "reference", too... If they're friends of my friend then we're a lot more likely to get along, have the same interests, mindset etc. Obviously not all the time, though.

I find pubs alright to be honest, I met my last ex in one and he was a decent lad. Depends on the pub etc. I've never met anyone in a club that has led to anything... meaningful ;)
  • Options
    Another vote through friends :yes:
  • Options
    Fairy wrote:
    Had one slime try and pick me up at the pool. Im 20, yes a student at uni. More interested in meeting women, but getting sick of dating sites and gay bars where all you tend to have in common is sexuality.
    Have you been to the Union LGBT soc. They vary hugely. I happen to know UCL's was rather good (yes, ok, I'm biased).

You're right, though, in principle all the people there have in common is their sexuality but I've made some awesome friends through UCLU LGBT.

No relationships ever, though, so maybe I should keep my gob shut.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i've met all my boyfriends in bars or nightclubs. i don't see whats wrong with it!

Yeah, I have met alot of my girlfriends through bars and clubs! Or through friends of friends...
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Yeah, I have met alot of my girlfriends through bars and clubs! Or through friends of friends...
    same here. :thumb:
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Have you been to the Union LGBT soc. They vary hugely. I happen to know UCL's was rather good (yes, ok, I'm biased).

You're right, though, in principle all the people there have in common is their sexuality but I've made some awesome friends through UCLU LGBT.

No relationships ever, though, so maybe I should keep my gob shut.

I was at my last uni. Was hardly anyone in it! Sucked. Maybe at my next uni will be better! Just getting annoyed, have spent one year meeting shit after shit...never anything decent! I just want to find someone whos genuinely interested in getting to know me as a person and not just for the way I look. Is damn hard to find though.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    :yes: Definitely.

Sort of works as a "reference", too... If they're friends of my friend then we're a lot more likely to get along, have the same interests, mindset etc. Obviously not all the time, though.

Prescreaning is good. They can usually have some idea if they are a total i'llshoveyouinawoodchipperoveragameofmonopoly nutjob. Gotta find out the hard way with strangers.
  • Options
    ive never met a bf through friends, i seem to know all my friends friends and the eligable ones are taken!
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:

yeah! try that! ask your friends if they know any girls that you might like.
  • Options
    i met most fellas in pubs and niteclubs and there all decent blokes( well i think so anyway) ;)
  • Options
    lisalashe wrote:
    i met most fellas in pubs and niteclubs and there all decent blokes( well i think so anyway) ;)

Hmmm...Im not convinced about nightclubs, maybe bars are okay. Its just when alcohol is involved it can make everything seem vrey different. Maybe its okay when you are younger though. Im not gonna stress over it anymore though. Guess I just havnt been single this long for quite some time!
  • Options
    I met my girlfriend in the library. I don't do the club scene.

I think any girl that really wants to get into a relationship has a real advantage, because us guys get horny at the drop of a hat. I don't know, maybe I have a warped view of girls.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

nor me.

my sis met her boyfriend while she was going up some stairs in a club and he was going down them. they've been together 4 years!
  • Options
    pizza shop after the clubs

never happened with me, but must have for somebody somewhere :p