Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Buffet Food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Who likes Buffet style eating?

I do I think it's very socialable espacially for large groups of people BUT less and less places do it in favour of sit down style eating, espacially at weddings - probably because they can get away with charging a lot more.

I've been trying to find a buffet style place to take a group of people to - but it's flipping hard to find many places in the area I want. Got about 80 people who'll probabaly walk in through the door of wherever I take them (all at once) all hungry and I can't believe there's any sit down place that would feed them all in good time hence why I want a Buffet, but I really can't believe the crap I'm being offered by various places, espacially when 80 people will probabaly spend a fortune on drinks as well and it's for a Sunday evening when most places will probabaly be near empty.

Comments

• Options
    Absoutly discusting. Why anybody would want to eat food that has been picked at, sneezed on, coughed on and god knows what else by god knows how many people is beyond me. An infestation of other peopls nasty with a little bit of food. Fucking discusting.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Absoutly discusting. Why anybody would want to eat food that has been picked at, sneezed on, coughed on and god knows what else by god knows how many people is beyond me. An infestation of other peopls nasty with a little bit of food. Fucking discusting.

Sit down food is exactly the same except all the sneezing and coughing takes place in the kitchen where you can't see what's they're up to .. lol :thumb:

Also aint you ever heard of a sneeze guards?
  • Options
    Sit down food is exactly the same except all the sneezing and coughing takes place in the kitchen where you can't see what's they're up to .. lol :thumb:

Also aint you ever heard of a sneeze guards?

A sneeze guard is far above the nasty childrens hands. And 3 people in the kitchen has no competition to the hundreds of people and snot filled hands of random people.

I'd hate to see what sit down resturants you eat at, tbh. I've worked in two resturants before and no, shit like that rarely happens. Managers and owners and anal people are constantly walking around keeping an eye on everybody working.
  • Options
    I do reckon in general food standards in the US and Canada are better then in the UK, might be the fear of being sued!!

I don't think the UK is known for it's cuisine.

Although the American breakfast cereals are way weird!!
  • Options
    buffets are good, depending on where you go. some are jsut down right nasty but i've found a few that are alright. i try not to go to them because i eat way too much. :) some restaurants have party rooms....did u look into those? or at least the ones i've worked in have them....
  • Options
    I don't really like buffets :no:

The only time I'll really eat them is if I'm first in the queue
  • Options
    i don't like buffets. someone announces "the buffet is now open" and then theres a massive race to get to the table first. then you have the dilemma of how much you take coz you don't want to look like a pig and you can guarantee something will fall off your crappy paper plate. and after all that the food isn't even nice; rubbish sandwiches and cheap sausage rolls.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    The buffet at my cousins wedding was quite nice. They did it in an organised manner and everyone had plenty of food.

I love chinese buffet restaurants :yum:
  • Options
    it's food isn't it. :p
  • Options
    i love a good spread.

i prefer them when they are a bit more adventurous than your butties and sausage rolls, but they all good.

sausage and onions and cheese and pineapples on sticks = the best.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Buffet food is quality. :yum:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I love buffets. They quite often have them at my work when they have functions on, so when they've all gone we (as in the staff :p) can just eat as much as we can handle. Or throw it all about and make a mess of the room :p
  • Options
    Where are you thiking of having a party etc? We found a really good deal at a bar on Old Street for a work party where they do a buffet from the Italian Restaurant next door for £6 a head and the food looks quite good.

In general I think buffets are good and bad depending on the situation for a kind of long drawn out party with lots of light nibbles salads etc they are good but for the kind of place where they say the buffet is open now and you all pile in and end up queing for adges they are bad. Additonally i've been to a couple of places where you get such small servings but then are watched when you go up for more so you end up eating hardly anything as you don't want anyone to think your greedy.

I'm also quite partial to canape parties though.

Oddly for my wedding the quotes for a buffet were more expensive than those for a sit down meal.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Skive wrote:
    Buffet food is quality. :yum:

True words.

THere is an ACE all you can eat Buffet Chinese called Aroma here. £6.50 I think. God it's damn good when you are high as a nut. SO MUCH DELICOUS FOOD!

Might do it this weekend... :D
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    i love a good spread.
    really!!:p

chinese buffet places are the way to go.
  • Options
    I love a good, cheap party buffet.

mini sausage rolls, doritos in a salad bowl, cheese and pickled onions on sticks, carrot sticks and onion, garlic and herb dips! You know the type.

:yum::yum::yum:
  • Options
    I really like buffet style restaurants. I like to try a little bit of everything.

The best one I've been to was the Bellagio in Las Vegas. It had different areas, Italian, Japanese, Mexican, Chinese, American, etc.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Where are you thiking of having a party etc? We found a really good deal at a bar on Old Street for a work party where they do a buffet from the Italian Restaurant next door for £6 a head and the food looks quite good..

I'm taking loads of people on a trip and our coach is expected back around 7:30pm near Marylebone / Baker Street so rather then going home I thought it wouldbe nice for us all to nip into a nearby pub or bar or some place that can do something reasonable and something quickly served...

I was hoping to find a nice independant place to take them to, but there's not that much choice in the area. I didn't want people to really have to spend more then £5 each on some bites and of course they'd be buying their own drinks.

£5 may not sound like much but when there's 70 people and another 10 to 20 probabaly going to join us at the venue that's £400+ for a buffet and yet most places seem to be offering a load of crap for that.

One pub I went to that does Thai food and would be empty on any Sunday offered 2 spring rolls, 2 sticks of Chicken Satay, and prawn crackers and sesame toast for £5 a head ...:eek2:

For £3.99 we could go to the local Wetherspoons and get a Burger, Chips and a pint of Beer!! (might be a £1 more for central London but still a heck of a lot more for a lot less)

I'm guessing 70 to 90 people would spend at least £1,500 as well on drinks - so don't know why people are turning up their noses.
  • Options
    Great thing about eating Buffet is it's flexibility. You can pick an chose from so many different dishes. Also watching morbidly obese people at Ol' Country Buffet can be enterntaining or incredibly sad and completely spoil/improve your appetite. The choice is yours.
  • Options
    I don't know how anyone can seriously say that British food is worse than US food. The country that brought us Taco fucking Bell cannot be considered a culinary heavyweight.

The problem is in this country that nobody has any faith in their cooking.

Lots of places do buffets, but not many posh places do. And I don't think buffets are appropriate for wedding breakfasts.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't know how anyone can seriously say that British food is worse than US food. The country that brought us Taco fucking Bell cannot be considered a culinary heavyweight..

If you're talking about National Chains of resturaunts then there's simply more choice and more competition in the US and Canada.

And also so much cheaper too.

There's for instance only two big chains for burgers I can think of here, Mac's and Burger King, over there you can add Wendys, White Castle, Jack in the Box and probabaly more I don't know of.

I assume you're not comparing Taco Bell in the UK to the US one?

Cos most foods I've tried here suck compared the the American equivelents, espacially Pizza hut and Baskin Robbins.
  • Options
    And also so much cheaper too.

There's for instance only two big chains for burgers I can think of here, Mac's and Burger King, over there you can add Wendys, White Castle, Jack in the Box and probabaly more I don't know of.

I hardly think that the price and variety of fast (tacky) food should be a measure of a countries cuisine.

It certainly wasn't always so, but now the range of food from different cultures in this country means that the food in this country is now some of the best in the world
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    have you considered hiring out a pub perhaps then maybe just order a load of pizzas or chinese. most pubs will hired themselves out for free if you can guarentee a certain amount will be spent at the bar (which with 70 odd people i cant see you having any problems)
  • Options
    Cos most foods I've tried here suck compared the the American equivelents, espacially Pizza hut and Baskin Robbins.

Ever had an American beef Wellington, steak and kidney pie, chicken tikka vindaloo. :no:

Pizza and burgers aint a touch on those dishes.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    taco bell is lovley but you have to consider it as terribly bad for you fast food rather than haute cuisine.

Buffets are good at the right time - but i don't really like hardcore american style buffet restaurants where you get about 3 billion different choices - because you end up putting really weird combinations of stuff on your plate.
  • Options
    In n Out burger MMMMMM

I thought the food in the USA was great apart from the junk. There are some great restaurants there, cheap, also nice old style diners like Ruby's. And Mexican food and Japanese and Korean, which you don't get that much here.

The choice of crisps and chocolates are crap though.
  • Options
    On the Tyra Bank show which just happened to be on - they were talking about germs from different places - turns out on of the worst places to pick up bacteria inthe handles on shopping trolleys, cos everoone's has touched them, as well as touched food and then their lips and mouths as well.

So for all those of you that recon buffets were germs ridden something else to worry about next time you're in tesco... lol
  • Options
    at my last job we used to do buffets, sometimes for up to 250 people, it was quite good value really. Firstly they would get canapes then the main buffet. We used to do seared tuna steaks in a basil and lime marinade, corn fed chicken stuffed with goats cheese and lemon zest in a garlic and rosemary jus, chive and saffron rissotto, roasted veg, then the usual stuff like calamari rings in a beer batter, and butterflied king prawns, they used to get loads of other bits and bobs like big salads, potato salads, a selection of italian breads. Then invariably they would get a selection of desserts.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Pizza and burgers aint a touch on those dishes.

Not the run of the mill crap ones maybe, but really good burgers and pizza are lovely. The best burger I ever had was at a pub in Tenby. McDonalds it certainly wasn't, what it was, was delicious.

The best pizza I ever tasted I made myself. :D
  • Options
    I dislike buffets. I never know what I can and can't eat from them.