Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Political correctness

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Options
    come back klintock ...all is forgiven.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    What, you think muslims don't exist?

Ok I hope I`m not closed minded to disregard evidence put in front of me.Let`s see.

What is a muslim ?
  • Options
    for the primary school thing - went i did work experience a year ago i asked them why they didn't use the old characters to learn the alphabet anymore (annie apple, clever cat ect) and the teacher told me they had to get rid of them because they were 'sexist'. 4 and 5 year olds are not going to know what sexist is for gods sake. I learned the alphabet using them and it didn't hurt me. And it was a really good way too. Like helping them tell the difference between 'c' and 'k'. They didn't have a replacement either so they were doing it the boring way.
    I remember seeing on the news a few years ago about banning games like kiss chase in the playground because it could be seen as 'forced sexual contact' or something. And when i was doing outdoor activities with the kids with hoola hoops, i was told they weren't allowed to use them round their hips because it was 'sexual'. Wouldn't someone have to be rather twisted to see kids playing hoola hoops as sexy in the first place?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    for the primary school thing - went i did work experience a year ago i asked them why they didn't use the old characters to learn the alphabet anymore (annie apple, clever cat ect) and the teacher told me they had to get rid of them because they were 'sexist'. 4 and 5 year olds are not going to know what sexist is for gods sake. I learned the alphabet using them and it didn't hurt me. And it was a really good way too. Like helping them tell the difference between 'c' and 'k'. They didn't have a replacement either so they were doing it the boring way.
    I remember seeing on the news a few years ago about banning games like kiss chase in the playground because it could be seen as 'forced sexual contact' or something. And when i was doing outdoor activities with the kids with hoola hoops, i was told they weren't allowed to use them round their hips because it was 'sexual'. Wouldn't someone have to be rather twisted to see kids playing hoola hoops as sexy in the first place?

And isn't it chalk board now and not black board? Just because it's got the word black in it doesn't mean to say that it's rasist.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    And isn't it chalk board now and not black board? Just because it's got the word black in it doesn't mean to say that it's rasist.
    yeah aparrantly. We just said board. Easier. I think its because nearly every kind of word or name that has 'black' in it is associated with bad stuff. i.e black magic and black sheep of the family
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    There's no way I'm getting into a stupid klintock style nothing really exists argument, they've ruined enough threads in the past ta.
    You asked what political correctness is. Political correctness is the act of trying to make sure that you don't offend people by 'offending' the fictional social groups they claim to be a part. Political correctness in it's very nature is linked to people's beliefs that these groups exist.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Oh god. This thread is just turning into exactly what I was reacting against in the beginning. People just listing things they've heard somewhere and moaning, isn't it shocking, it's political correctness gone mad! :rolleyes:
    :lol:

But I made a link to an actual real story rather than a bit of hearsay, so what's your opinion of that?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Yeah but then seeker was trying to get into a "there's no such thing as muslim people" style debate which is pointless when the vast majority of people are agreed that muslim people do exist.
    Well yeah. I don't think it's relevent whether or not they do exist. The fact is that Muslims (and anyone else who puts themself in a group) believes that their group exists, and so we have to accept that they will get offended at things that aren't targetted at them personally.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    who cares if the odd nursery decides to change the words to baa baa black sheep. its up to them if they think someone will be offended by the word black - theyre probably wrong, but its not exactly PC gone mad. Its just up to them - the government arent making them do it.
    I think PC is quite good in some respects. Giving less offensive names to things, Learning difficulties is much more acceptable than retarded for instance which is what it used to be, and then became an insult. cerebral palsy is much more acceptable than spastic. etc etc.
  • Options
    I think PC is quite good in some respects. Giving less offensive names to things, Learning difficulties is much more acceptable than retarded for instance which is what it used to be, and then became an insult. cerebral palsy is much more acceptable than spastic. etc etc.
    That just made me think. It's quite often the case with political correctness, that it's about removing group labels that have been imposed on particular people. So the N-word was imposed on anyone with black skin, and the word spastic was imposed on people with cerebal palsy. Now is there a difference between a group that people have chosen to become a part of (such as a religious group, or even a racial group if the person chooses to outwardly proclaim to be a part of this group), and a group that has just been imposed on that person? Should political correctness apply when the person involved has chosen to group him or herself?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    You should still treat them with the respect and dignity they deserve as a human being, and as a human being who identifies themselves as belonging to this or that group. People are entitled to recognition of their identity and for this identity not to be denigrated or devalued,
    If they define themselves by particular beliefs however, is it acceptable to denigrate those beliefs if you believe them to be ridiculous? In my opinion, it is important to respect peoples right to hold certain beliefs and live in certain ways, but is it important to respect the actual beliefs themselves? And if it isn't, then how can you say you think someone's beliefs are ridiculous without effectively saying the same thing about an entire group of people?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    You can respect people's beliefs without sharing them.

I understand that I can respect people`s beliefs that I don`t share, but why would I ? :chin:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    I understand that I can respect people`s beliefs that I don`t share, but why would I ? :chin:
    Because you want to be politically correct, of course.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Why wouldn't you?

Shouldn't one's default position in life be to treat other people, their beliefs and identities, with respect? Or do you go through life denigrating and showing disrespect to all who disagree with you?

We may have a (substantially ?) different understanding of the word "respect" ?

I use it in the context of giving someone/something a positive value. How about you ?
  • Options
    Because you want to be politically correct, of course.

Why would a person WANT to be "politically correct" ?
  • Options
    PC is one of the shittiest thing ever, who gives a fuck what words are fucking used...
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Why would a person WANT to be "politically correct" ?
    Why would they want to be a prick?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    How about you answer my question first?

Which one ? There`s two.:p

I feel your understanding of respect needs explaining. From the way you have asked those two questions there`s an implication to me that you see "respect' as value neutral. Am I correct in that ?
  • Options
    PC is one of the shittiest thing ever, who gives a fuck what words are fucking used...
    because it can make a huge difference to how people view things. Its much more appropriate for someone to say they spent time in a mental health facility, than to say they were incarcerated in a lunatic asylum. The words used can completely change the way something or someone is percieved.