Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

An ethical question

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The point I'm trying to get across is that a homeless person might need money for any number of things. Food, drugs, alcohol (I'm not suggesting though that all homeless people are drug users or problem drinkers - they're not), clothes, service charge for their hostel, birthday present for their kids etc etc etc.
    Do you think it would be easy to explain to everyone what exactly they would be spending their money on? Why should they?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    The point I'm trying to get across is that a homeless person might need money for any number of things. Food, drugs, alcohol (I'm not suggesting though that all homeless people are drug users or problem drinkers - they're not), clothes, service charge for their hostel, birthday present for their kids etc etc etc.
    Do you think it would be easy to explain to everyone what exactly they would be spending their money on? Why should they?

they dont have to. The ones who reel off big stories are the most annoying, because people dont always have time to listen to it, yet feel bad walking away.

My point was not that i expect to be told where its going, just not to be lied to.
  • Options
    I still don't get what your objection is. You would rather someone held up a sign saying "I need to pay my service charge" or "its my kid's birthday" or "I need a beer to stop me from getting the shakes and possibly fitting and dying"? when its actually easier to have a sign saying "hungry and homeless"?

Did you ever actually stop and chat to any of the homeless people you gave money to?
  • Options
    I don't think anyone should be obliged to give money to the homeless. Give what you can, when you can, and only if you want to.

I wouldn't dream of giving a homeless person cash on the street. Instead I spend my money in charity shops or at charity events, so I know exactly what it's being spent on and who's benefitting from my donations.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone should be obliged to give money to the homeless. Give what you can, when you can, and only if you want to.

Of course.
    I wouldn't dream of giving a homeless person cash on the street. Instead I spend my money in charity shops or at charity events, so I know exactly what it's being spent on and who's benefitting from my donations.

Do you look at the accounts of the charities you give to?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I still don't get what your objection is. You would rather someone held up a sign saying "I need to pay my service charge" or "its my kid's birthday" or "I need a beer to stop me from getting the shakes and possibly fitting and dying"? when its actually easier to have a sign saying "hungry and homeless"?

Did you ever actually stop and chat to any of the homeless people you gave money to?

i think im going to end up giving up here, because you dont seem to be taking any notice of my replies.

Read my last reply, where i said i dont expect to be told, i just expect to not be lied to.

To your last question, ive not given money to homeless people, ive just offered them what they claimed to be wanting money for.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    i think im going to end up giving up here, because you dont seem to be taking any notice of my replies.

Read my last reply, where i said i dont expect to be told, i just expect to not be lied to.

I am taking notice of your replies, which is why I'm replying to them. What I'm trying to do is to understand your replies, understand what has led you to giving me those replies.
    Blah wrote:
    To your last question, ive not given money to homeless people, ive just offered them what they claimed to be wanting money for.

Did you actually take time to talk to them?
  • Options
    this
    Blagsta wrote:
    You would rather someone held up a sign saying "I need to pay my service charge" or "its my kid's birthday" or "I need a beer to stop me from getting the shakes and possibly fitting and dying"? when its actually easier to have a sign saying "hungry and homeless"?

was said after i had already said this
    Blah wrote:
    My point was not that i expect to be told where its going, just not to be lied to.

Which is what made me think your not actualy taking notice of what im saying.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Did you actually take time to talk to them?
    A few times ive had homeless people approach me and give a really long story. ive not really known what to say to them because, well theres not much i can say to someone who's just told me their life story, im not good at talking to strangers as it is! This hasnt happened to me for a few years actually, it happened alot when i was about 17, a that age i didnt appreciate being approached in the dark on my way home from college, i found it intimidating but i was never rude to them, i just told them the truth that i didnt have any money to spare.
    But to be honest, if i was to get approached now, im normally in a hurry to get somewhere and would have to tell them sorry but i dont have time
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    as said after i had already said

Which is what made me think your not actualy taking notice of what im saying.

I'm trying to understand what has led you to thinking that and what you actually mean by it. As I said - would you rather someone said "can you spare some change guv'nor cos I'm rattling/need to pay my service charge/need a new pair of shoes/its my kids birthday"? You want them to account to you exactly what they're going to spend the money on?
    Blah wrote:
    A few times ive had homeless people approach me and give a really long story. ive not really known what to say to them because, well theres not much i can say to someone who's just told me their life story, im not good at talking to strangers as it is! This hasnt happened to me for a few years actually, it happened alot when i was about 17, a that age i didnt appreciate being approached in the dark on my way home from college, i found it intimidating but i was never rude to them, i just told them the truth that i didnt have any money to spare.

That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking you if you have ever taken the time to speak to a homeless person as a fellow human being? If you do, they might be more inclined to be honest with you.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm trying to understand what has led you to thinking that and what you actually mean by it. As I said - would you rather someone said "can you spare some change guv'nor cos I'm rattling/need to pay my service charge/need a new pair of shoes/its my kids birthday"? You want them to account to you exactly what they're going to spend the money on?
    its actually getting annoying to keep repeating myself. Surely the fact that i said i dont expect to be told where its coming from, would imply an answer to your question, which is that no, i wouldnt rather someone give me a detailed description of what they intend to do with the money.
    My entire point is that it would annoy me if i was told they were going to be buying a meal, and in fact wasnt. Its the lying which is the problem to me. Not the being told or not being told why they need money .
    Blagsta wrote:
    That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking you if you have ever taken the time to speak to a homeless person as a fellow human being? If you do, they might be more inclined to be honest with you.

where have i implied that i dont speak to them like a fellow human being? nowhere because i havent implied that at all.
    I told you that yes i have taken the time to speak to them, which was the original question.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    its actually getting annoying to keep repeating myself. Surely the fact that i said i dont expect to be told where its coming from, would imply an answer to your question, which is that no, i wouldnt rather someone give me a detailed description of what they intend to do with the money.

You're contradicting yourself. You're telling me that you don't want to be lied to, that if its asked for food that you expect it to be spent on that, yes? Then you're telling me that actually you don't want to know what its being spent on? You seem a tad confused to be honest.
    Let's see if I can get this straight - even though it easier for someone to say "got ten pence for a cup of tea guv", you'd rather they didn't (if they weren't going to spend that ten pence on a cup of tea), but you don't want to know that they are going to spend it on? :confused: Eh? :confused:
    Blah wrote:
    My entire point is that it would annoy me if i was told they were going to be buying a meal, and in fact wasnt. Its the lying which is the problem to me. Not the being told or not being told why they need money .

You're contradicting yourself again. The practicalities of begging are such that asking for money towards food is quick and easy, but not always strictly honest. What would you rather have someone do? Seeing as you're telling me that you don't want to know what they may be spending the money on.
    Blah wrote:
    where have i implied that i dont speak to them like a fellow human being? nowhere because i havent implied that at all.
    I told you that yes i have taken the time to speak to them, which was the original question.

Have you ever taken the time to ask them what their name is, where they from, how did they end up on the streets, what might help them etc?
  • Options
    I dont expect to be told, but of they decide to state what they want the money for then it should be the truth. I dont think they should be using false pretences on people.

rather than lie, say nothing at all in my opinion. Ask for spare change and give a reason if asked.

no confusion on my part there.

no i havent had a conversation with a homeless person such as the example questions you gave me, not because its a homeless person but because im shy towards anyone i dont know, homeless or not.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    I dont expect to be told, but of they decide to state what they want the money for then it should be the truth. I dont think they should be using false pretences on people.

rather than lie, say nothing at all in my opinion. Ask for spare change and give a reason if asked.

no confusion on my part there.

OK, got you now you finally explained yourself. I understand too. However the realities of begging are such that saying you need food is likely to elicit more sympathy than just asking for spare change. It's certainly going to elicit more sympathy from your average joe than saying you need to pay your service charge in your hostel (ensuing conversation "what's a service charge?"), explaining that you haven't had a drink/hit yet and you need one to feel normal etc. It's easier to say you need to eat.
    Blah wrote:
    no i havent had a conversation with a homeless person such as the example questions you gave me, not because its a homeless person but because im shy towards anyone i dont know, homeless or not.

Fairynuff. Don't expect homeless people to be too forthcoming about themselves either.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    OK, got you now you finally explained yourself. I understand too. However the realities of begging are such that saying you need food is likely to elicit more sympathy than just asking for spare change. It's certainly going to elicit more sympathy from your average joe than saying you need to pay your service charge in your hostel (ensuing conversation "what's a service charge?"), explaining that you haven't had a drink/hit yet and you need one to feel normal etc. It's easier to say you need to eat.

Fairynuff. Don't expect homeless people to be too forthcoming about themselves either.

thought i made myself clear from the start but it would appear im no good at explaining what i mean.

I guess i just find it a bit unfair, and slightly immoral to get people to give them money under false pretences, like a guilt trip. Yeh its probably the best/most efficient tactic of getting money which they need, but i still find it wrong in some way.
  • Options
    I understand that. However how many people would give someone money if they were upfront about spending it on alcohol?

(just to reinforce - no, I'm not suggesting that all beggars/homeless people spend their money on drink/drugs)
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I understand that. However how many people would give someone money if they were upfront about spending it on alcohol?

(just to reinforce - no, I'm not suggesting that all beggars/homeless people spend their money on drink/drugs)

Unsure about that one.

I reckon quite a few people would, you for one already said you gave money to someone honestly asking for drug money.
  • Options
    I'd beg to differ. I have done, but I have an understanding of drug dependence and homelessness. Most people don't. For instance John Bird from The Big Issue has been in the media being quite vocal about not giving money to homeless people cos they'll only go and spend it on drink or drugs.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Except that this particular instance has affected how you think about all homeless people - "This made my mind up about giving money directly to the homeless." Homeless people are all individuals, they're not all in some club and responsible for the others y'know.

So why give "them" a label : "homeless people" ?
    Blagsta wrote:
    BTW, this is rather arrogant. Does anyone ask you what you spend your money on?

Plenty of people demand to know (with threats of violence) what I spend my money on.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    So why give "them" a label : "homeless people" ?

Errrr...y'know...people without a home?
    seeker wrote:
    Plenty of people demand to know (with threats of violence) what I spend my money on.

Really? Maybe you should move out of your parent's and get your own place.