Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

An ethical question

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    NQA wrote:
    As you have more knowledge on this than I do I'll bow to your expertise.

But begging in itself can feel threatening, especially if you're a woman or an elderly person. Now I'm not saying all begging is threatening or everyone feels threatened by it, but many do and fear of crime can be as bad, if not worse, than actual crime. And all it does is make the problem worse, by giving to beggars the problem doesn't go away.

I don't think giving to beggars does necessarily make the problem worse.
    NQA wrote:
    At least by trying to fund shelters, substance abuse charities there is a chance you can actually provide long-term help, rather than short-term help, but causing a longer term problem.

I don't see it as an either/or situation. I'd also argue that merely putting money into treatment is no long term solution either.

i
    NQA wrote:
    'd agree to a certain extent. There will always be drug and alcohol problems and throwing people in jail for a bit and then letting them out with no support/help just makes the problem worse. what is needed is a system that can help people without the need for them to be jailed,l but as a back-up the threat of jail as an incentive to people to do something to help themselves (albeit with help from professionals).

but at the end of the day only so much can be done unless people are themselves willing to try and set themselves straight (and I'm aware that in reality this may not be as easy as waking up in the morning and saying 'hey I'm going to stop drinking alcohol today'), but if you can get easy fixes there's even less of an incentive to give up.

Whats the answer in the real world? fucked if I know

I think you missed my point somewhat. Drug problems are never going to go away while we live in an alienating, unjust and unequal society. In fact desiring oblivion through drink and drugs is an entirelu understandable response to the shit that our society puts some people through.
  • Options
    I'm not getting into the whole begging/drink/drugs debate but stick to the charity one.

The problem here is the emotional blackmail aspect where you feel like your £2.50 has been wasted because you sepnt it on alcohol, rather than give it to someone "deserving". Except you miss an important point. That money helps support a business, that business will have employees, those employees will have families and bills to pay and will get paid for their work. What you are therefore doing, in part, is keeping those people away from being on the streets too.

Sure, I firmly believe that I should give to charities and do so regularly, but I also believe that I have the right to live my life too.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I think you missed my point somewhat. Drug problems are never going to go away while we live in an alienating, unjust and unequal society. In fact desiring oblivion through drink and drugs is an entirelu understandable response to the shit that our society puts some people through.

I did understand it, but felt it was going off-topic somewhat. I disagree however that society is responsible for drugs. There are many people with drugs and alcohol problems whom society has treated very well - its hard to claim that (to use a famous example) that someone like Ozzy Osbourne has been treated particually badly by society (or if he has I'd like to be treated so badly).

Its also a chicken and egg situation - does society fail people and they then get into drugs and alcohol problems? or is that people with drugs and alcohol problems are less likely to be able to hold down a job, be able to keep a housing tenure and are more likely to end up in fights, crime etc and end up in jail. It seems to me to be as much as the latter as the former.

Now where I would agree is that its relatively easier (and perhaps easy is the wrong word) for people who are wealthy to cope with their addictions, both it being able to fund it and to get expensive support to get them off it. but equally it seems that supportive family and friends are just as important.

I don't think if we moved to an anarchist system (and I'm assuming that's what you mean, so forgive me if I'm wrong) that they're won't be people who for whatever reason develop addictions and fall out of society and that for those that do the system will be any better.
  • Options
    Rich and famous people can have mental health problems too y'know.
  • Options
    The point is also that rich and famous people with drug problems don't tend to end up on the street sucking cock for rock.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    The point is also that rich and famous people with drug problems don't tend to end up on the street sucking cock for rock.

I'm not saying they do. in fact I said that its 'easier' for wealthy people to cope. I do think that as a society we need to provide more assistance for those on the streets than for the wealthy (which isn't to say we shouldn't provide support for them as well). However the fact that wealthy people have mental problems and addictions suggests that this isn't caused by society, but more to do with personal circumstances and personality.
  • Options
    Actually, I'd say that the drive to be famous is often indicative of some kind of emotional problem. Fame also brings its own problems. This is getting away from the point though - yes of course mental health/emotional problems go through all stratas of society. However, the fact remains that these problems are made far worse by poverty and exclusion and in fact, povery, exclusion and its attendant stresses is often a trigger for mental health problems. A fairer society would solve a lot of these problems.
  • Options
    Sure, I firmly believe that I should give to charities and do so regularly, but I also believe that I have the right to live my life too.

I agree with this.

I also think I have the right to decide where the money I work for goes. You can't support every charity, no matter how good their intentions. I give to one specific charity that is close to my heart, and a few others less regularly, and I shop in charity shops a lot of the time. That's it. I don't give to beggars and I don't give to other charities. You have to draw the line somewhere, especially if, like me, you're not on the hugest of incomes, and I have drawn it there.

Do I feel guilty about spending the rest of my money on me? Not for a second.
  • Options
    I'm not getting into the whole begging/drink/drugs debate but stick to the charity one.

The problem here is the emotional blackmail aspect where you feel like your £2.50 has been wasted because you sepnt it on alcohol, rather than give it to someone "deserving". Except you miss an important point. That money helps support a business, that business will have employees, those employees will have families and bills to pay and will get paid for their work. What you are therefore doing, in part, is keeping those people away from being on the streets too.

This is a fair point.

I'm the same. And I hate feeling guilty when beggars ask me for some spare change and I don't give it to them. (Admittedly, I don't always have loose change on me)
  • Options
    Thing is there isn't just one homeless person, there are quite a few. You can't have spare change for all of them, can you.

I'd rather volunteer my time at a local shelter coz i know they need help.
    Also, about rehab clinics or whatever, what happens when they get out?
    Can't get a job coz they ain't got a bank account.
    Can't get a bank account coz they ain't a place to live in.

I think we need sanctuaries where people can come and get rehab/food/training/simple job/place to live, help them get their confidence up and help them get on their feet.
    Your spare change is a short fix...

You should never feel guilty though about whether you can give some money or not. It's your money. You do what you want with it.
  • Options

I mostly agree with that.

In addition, I think some of this goes on your own experiences. Someone here said that they give beer etc to a homeless person because that's what their friend did, whereas my friends (who were not homeless) would quite often go onto the streets to blag money, so personally I'm fairly suspicious and don't give money to any street beggars.

I absolutely have no qualms though about spending my own money on myself whilst saying I have no spare change. My change isn't "spare", it's mine. If I choose to spend it on food for myself, or set fire to it, it doesn't really matter because it's mine to use. It's never going to be for someone else to determine how I spend it because, to be honest, I work hard for it in the first place.
  • Options
    i hate it even more when they have a dog with them....i tend to feel more sorry for the dog
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I absolutely have no qualms though about spending my own money on myself whilst saying I have no spare change. My change isn't "spare", it's mine. If I choose to spend it on food for myself, or set fire to it, it doesn't really matter because it's mine to use. It's never going to be for someone else to determine how I spend it because, to be honest, I work hard for it in the first place.

I think this way, too.

Which isn't to say that I'll not give someone some change if I feel like it.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Yesterday evening, me and a friend were walking to the pub when a homeless woman asked us for some spare change.

How do you know the woman was homeless ?
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Thing is there isn't just one homeless person, there are quite a few. You can't have spare change for all of them, can you.

I'd rather volunteer my time at a local shelter coz i know they need help.
    Also, about rehab clinics or whatever, what happens when they get out?
    Can't get a job coz they ain't got a bank account.
    Can't get a bank account coz they ain't a place to live in.

I think we need sanctuaries where people can come and get rehab/food/training/simple job/place to live, help them get their confidence up and help them get on their feet.
    Your spare change is a short fix...

You should never feel guilty though about whether you can give some money or not. It's your money. You do what you want with it.

Let me guess - taxpayers would have to pay for this?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    taxpayers already pay for just about everything. At least it would be something useful.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    How do you know the woman was homeless ?
    Good point.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Where exactly did i say or insinuate that?
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Where exactly did i say or insinuate that?

Where else will the money come from? Or do you think that money grows on trees?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Where else will the money come from? Or do you think that money grows on trees?:rolleyes:

Money doesn't grow on trees? :eek:
    :)

First of all, I didn't think that I had to produce a funding plan, thought we were having a discussion on an ethical question.

Secondly, the money would come through charities and foundations, from the private sector, after all donating to charity means less tax...
  • Options
    Personally, I think the bigger question is, what do you do to help those who are in need? The fact that there are homeless people on the streets isn't an invention, despite the fact that some may be faking it to get some easy money. The way I see it, if people are begging for money on the streets, then they are definitely in a worse position than I am. I don't think that anyone -maybe aside from a bunch of stupid teenagers- really go out begging unless they really need it as it is a humiliating position to be in. Even when someone may be portraying a more desperate picture than the one they are actually in, they're still in a worse position than I am, because they still had the need to go out and do it. I have never in my whole life had the need to do this.

Being worried about the destination of the money you give out to beggars is a legitimate worry (like if they are using it for alcohol or drugs) - even though it's something I personally don't worry about. My personal opinion is that if they are asking for it, it's because they need it, what they do with that money is their business.

So, aside from the decision of giving or not giving beggars money, what do you do to help them? The solution may or may not involve giving money to them... but I think this is the real question underlying the issue. There is a need, that's for sure. Wether you give out money or not, it's still our ethical duty as a society to acknowledge those needs and do something about them. The way you help can vary a great deal (create a foundation, pay your workers fair wages, get involved in politics, volunteer, etc.).. but in the end it's about creating a society where such needs don't exist.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sofie wrote:

And what is wrong with that?
  • Options
    Most street beggars are fly bastards who, the minute they get money given to them, take it from the cup/whatever and put it in their pockets. You think these people are poor? My uncle's got a friend whose brother was living in a homeless shelter. He was making about £150 a day.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    Most street beggars are fly bastards
    And you know this how? Do you know all street beggars to now that most of them are 'fly bastards'?
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    ...any thoughts, you clever (and doubtless, exceedingly generous) people?

I'd have problems spending the £2.50 on a drink

Personally I'd rather put the money towards having a good meal then a drink ....

I don't tend to give money to charities etc (Unless you count the national lottery) but I do donate a lot of my time and skills for instance I did a website for an organisation and donated about 40 hours of my time plus maybe another 60 hours since just on maintaing the website.

Previous to me volunteering my services they'd been waiting 2 years for a website
  • Options
    I don't tend to give money to charities etc (Unless you count the national lottery) but I do donate a lot of my time and skills for instance I did a website for an organisation and donated about 40 hours of my time plus maybe another 60 hours since just on maintaing the website.
    Previous to me volunteering my services they'd been waiting 2 years for a website
    This is exactly what I mean. It's not necessary to give money (although of course it's welcome), but to get involved in some way or another. This is an excellent example.

I think just behaving as a decent citizen (meaning not stealing, being fair, etc) just isn't enough. The system is flawed, as it creates people with needs... therefore, more action is necessary from everyone in society. It's our own responsibility the kind of society we create. If you want things different, then get involved and change them.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    Most street beggars are fly bastards who, the minute they get money given to them, take it from the cup/whatever and put it in their pockets. You think these people are poor? My uncle's got a friend whose brother was living in a homeless shelter. He was making about £150 a day.

Its true, beggars can make a lot of money. They often have to, to support a habit. If you're uncle's "mate" (hey, its another friend of a friend story! How reliable!) was making so much money, why were they still living in a hostel? Those places ain't nice y'know.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

we have to pay for everything else?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

Do you think theft is "wrong" ?
  • Options
    I once saw a homeless person and offered that person my un-opened drink, as i got it on buy one get one free and didnt want it anyway.

It was refused. I dont know why it was refused, but to a truly homeless person who has to beg for money to buy food and drink in order to survive; this drink would have been important

This made my mind up about giving money directly to the homeless.

You also cant tell if they are really homeless or not, there was a guy who used to hang around at the train station pretending to be homeless, i saw him collect loads of money as i was waiting for my train. A few days later i saw him on a night out, dressed well, with a group of friends getting drunk.