Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

First Car.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking into buying my first car at the moment. I don't have a lot of money at all (around £2000 in total for car, insurance, tax, mot etc) and I don't want anything that's too old or too big engine wise.
After being a passenger in an RTA recently I've got huge issues with safey too.

I've looked online but can't actually find any recommendations about what cars would be best for a 20 year old student with limited finances.

If anyone's got any ideas or recommendations or general hints n tips on buying a first car then I'd be so grateful! thanks x

Comments

• Options
    you're probably looking at around £600 for your insurance, £100 for your tax and then it might need a bit spending on it to pass its MOT.
  • Options
    Any with low insurance costs and with £2k to play with you need to avoid popular cars like 106/ka etc because you will pay over the odds because demand is so high...

It's worth visiting a few dealers though and ask them about "tradein" cars which they might want to dump. Now that it costs them a couple of hundred to scrap cars they will sell then for tens of pounds...
  • Options
    How would I drive a car bound for the scrap heap? And more importantly, why would I want to? :eek2:
  • Options
    Any with low insurance costs and with £2k to play with you need to avoid popular cars like 106/ka etc because you will pay over the odds because demand is so high...

It's worth visiting a few dealers though and ask them about "tradein" cars which they might want to dump. Now that it costs them a couple of hundred to scrap cars they will sell then for tens of pounds...

i have a 106. :p

i now pay £28 a month (3rd party). my car cost £1500 when it was bought 3 years ago (an N reg with 30,000 miles on the clock).
  • Options
    How would I drive a car bound for the scrap heap? And more importantly, why would I want to? :eek2:

Because its a car that you can afford?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Because its a car that you can afford?
    With a £2k budget I think I can get more than a piece of scrap. :chin:
  • Options
    Good advice. Cars with a less popular name tend to depreciate in value quite a lot, even if technically, they aren't any worse than more desired brand names. Makes like Mazda, Seat, Nissan or Skoda should be fairly cheap for a half decent car. You'll pay a lot more for an equivalent VW, Ford, Toyota, Honda, or any of the other big names. Buy a Parkers guide for this month to find out what sort of car you can expect to get for your money. Here's there website: http://www.parkers.co.uk/
  • Options
    your not going to get any special safety features with that budget. Your going to be looking at something pretty old really. Its not a problem, ive been driving my ancient 1995 corsa around for 2 years now, its had its problems like the majority of non-new cars, but its not an old rustbucket and its safely been driven a long way, on long journeys (4 hour long ones!). Its safe driving that'll save your life

its generally cheaper to buy cars privately rather than from a dealer, but if you do this you'll want to take someone with you who knows alot about cars, to check it *all* over

Having said that, you can just as easily get ripped off by a dealer. Try asking around people you can know and trust...
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Its safe driving that'll save your life

:yes:

My first car was a really old, really shit 106, and I think it taught me to be a better, safer driver, because my first thought every time I got in it was 'if I crash this car, I will die'. ;)

Anyway, you're not looking at anything spectacular with that budget, but you'd be able to acquire something a bit like mine - P reg 1.3 fiesta, no bells, no whistles, but it's sturdy, reliable and has airbags :thumb:
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Its safe driving that'll save your life.

And praying that everyone else does the same... ;)
  • Options
    Yeah, if you go for anything really new you'll most likely get stung for a load on insurance. Of course if you go for old you could end up paying up for trips to repair it, so you need something middling. Oldish, but not falling apart. Go for the less obvious brands to save money, as has been mentioned.

Euro / NCAP results are here http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/introduction.php
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Yeah, if you go for anything really new you'll most likely get stung for a load on insurance. Of course if you go for old you could end up paying up for trips to repair it, so you need something middling. Oldish, but not falling apart. Go for the less obvious brands to save money, as has been mentioned.

Euro / NCAP results are here http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/introduction.php
    :nervous: Wow. Powerful stuff. At one point I was thinking of getting a Fiat Seicento. After looking at NCAP, I think not, baby puppy. :eek:
  • Options

Holy poo, I can't believe how cheap cars are! I should go buy one from there. :yes: I was thinking 2k... you can buy some '87 rust bucket with 200000+ miles, a missing wheel and no breaks for that much. I had no idea. Wow.
  • Options
    What size car are you after? A small one (Fiesta, Clio, Corsa, Polo, Jazz, Yaris) or a medium sized hatchback (Focus, Megane, Astra, Golf, Civic, Corolla)? From what I've seen, you'll be looking at a 1998 model of the former, and a 1995 model of the latter for about £1000, depending on the model and condition, of course.
  • Options
    :nervous: Wow. Powerful stuff. At one point I was thinking of getting a Fiat Seicento. After looking at NCAP, I think not, baby puppy. :eek:

It does somewhat look like that would be akin to driving around in an eggbox on wheels.

And just about as quick.
  • Options
    The smallest I can get away with really (parking is tight where I live haha) and It's only me using it, so something like a VW Lupo or Seat Arosa sort of size...
  • Options
    What size car are you after? A small one (Fiesta, Clio, Corsa, Polo, Jazz, Yaris) or a medium sized hatchback (Focus, Megane, Astra, Golf, Civic, Corolla)? From what I've seen, you'll be looking at a 1998 model of the former, and a 1995 model of the latter for about £1000, depending on the model and condition, of course.

Hehe, I have no place in this thread. I just like learning about cars elsewhere, like a corola and civic are considered medium :D Though why automatically say hatchback?

I'll leave now.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Hehe, I have no place in this thread. I just like learning about cars elsewhere, like a corola and civic are considered medium :D Though why automatically say hatchback?

I'll leave now.

I suppose you're used to medium being something tank sized. :p
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

I'll leave now.
    Love your definition of medium t-shirts over there. Well I judge the size of a car based on the size of the seat compared to my arse. I imagine America does the same.;)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Get a 205 - best car 1st car ever. :yes:

They're quite old now but you can still get some in superb condition, they'll be cheap to insure (unless it's a GTi) and they run on forever.

I've just bought and sold a 205 DTurbo - I was using it while my other car got repaired after an collision with a hornypecker. A wonderful car.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Nissan Micra's seem to be going pretty cheap nowadays. I think they're a bit of an old people mobile, so the chances of you getting one that hasn't been thrashed around is quite high.
  • Options
    Love your definition of medium t-shirts over there. Well I judge the size of a car based on the size of the seat compared to my arse. I imagine America does the same.;)

In that case every car would be a mini car to most people here. ooo, move the seat back, my gut is pressing up against the steering wheel and get an auto cuz my thigh overtakes the area where the shift would be, and i'm in an escape. I thought they said this was roomy. :( Make it a double with bacon please. :D

And to try and be helpful, as somebody mentioned before, going thru a private person rather than a dealer is good for getting a better deal, and bring a car knowitall with. When searching for cheap cars, I always checked the papers and internet first. Here at least, when trading in a car, the dealership will give you shit for your car so alot of people take to selling it personally. Also, if there are any good dealers around, check if they are available online. Let you look at the selection of cars and prices to see if its even worth going to the place.

And hope you find a good one you like. Cars are yayness.
  • Options
    Nissan Micra's seem to be going pretty cheap nowadays. I think they're a bit of an old people mobile, so the chances of you getting one that hasn't been thrashed around is quite high.
    The 96 Micra scored 2 stars on the NCAP test, which, like the Seicento is the equivalent of smashing a tincan into a brick wall. The 05 Micra scored much higher, but I simply can't afford an 05 reg :(
  • Options
    The 96 Micra scored 2 stars on the NCAP test, which, like the Seicento is the equivalent of smashing a tincan into a brick wall. The 05 Micra scored much higher, but I simply can't afford an 05 reg :(
    Don't most cars that age and size score about 2 stars in the NCAP tests?
  • Options
    ^^ Nope. The VW Lupo and Seat Arosa were both 4 stars. They're generally better/safer built cars.
  • Options
    Don't most cars that age and size score about 2 stars in the NCAP tests?

As I understand it, it's progressive so that cars that might have been good a few years ago lose stars based on the equivalent car of today, which is safer. So yeah, a lot of older cars would have lower star ratings, because they aren't as safe. As they showed on top gear (I think) once by crashing an old people carrier into a new car.
  • Options
    ^^ Nope. The VW Lupo and Seat Arosa were both 4 stars. They're generally better/safer built cars.
    Just looking at the Arosa on Parkers and they gave it 1 1/2 stars for safety saying, "The basic structure is strong, but you only get passenger airbags, side airbags and ABS on the top-of-range 1.4 Sport. All models have deadlocks, but not much else."

And the 99 Lupo seems to start at about £3000 second hand, but if you can find it cheaper, it looks a decent car. The 99/00 Daewoo Matiz, the 99 Fiat Punto, the 99 Vauxhall Corsa, and the 96 Ford Fiesta all have 3 stars and start at £1000, £1400, £1200 and £750 respectively. These tests always seem to mention specific models, however. If they've tested one model, and you end up with a worse a more basic model without all the safety features, then it wouldn't get the same result on the NCAP tests.
  • Options
    not worth getting anything fancy, i asked my mechanic mate about 4 months ago what the best 1st car to get was and he said ford fiesta, parts are cheap and 2nd hand you can pick one up for round £300........i pay about £60 a month on insurance (it's a 1.4L) and its served me well.....
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    No, you can't

or actually, yes you can, but you won't be taxing/mot-ing/insuring, but why bother, its something else I like paying money for to cover everyone elses arse
    I don't follow?? :confused:
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Get a 205 - best car 1st car ever. :yes:

They're quite old now but you can still get some in superb condition, they'll be cheap to insure (unless it's a GTi) and they run on forever.

I've just bought and sold a 205 DTurbo - I was using it while my other car got repaired after an collision with a hornypecker. A wonderful car.

Seconded. 205 is a damn good car, and the TD model is great on fuel and fun to drive. Late models had the GTi suspension so it was great fun to drive :).

I miss mine. :(