Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

First Car.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was always told to not even go near any boy racer type cars, because they've likely been thrashed to within an inch of their life, especially if they're going cheap. Instead go for cars that have been owned by old people. Stereotyping, sure, but I bet it works nine times out of ten.
  • Options
    I was always told to not even go near any boy racer type cars, because they've likely been thrashed to within an inch of their life, especially if they're going cheap. Instead go for cars that have been owned by old people. Stereotyping, sure, but I bet it works nine times out of ten.

my car (well i guess it's not mine really) was owned by an old man who barely used it and kept it in his garage so it's rust free and only had 30k miles on the clock when we got it 3 years ago (it's an N reg).
  • Options
    Mine had one owner from new - for 17 years. It had every single receipt, its first clutch change at 120k, and was mechanically perfect.

Old people ride clutches, glaze the bores in the engine, and do lots of short journeys. Much of the time the car is a tool to them. With youngsters, the quality of driving(dare I say it...) tends to be better, from a mechanical point of view. They quickly learn how to drive without riding the clutch, and are more likely to give the car varied amounts of use.

Some youngsters even cherish their car. They've often worked hard for quite a while to save up for it, and as such they take care of it.

A few better generalisations, IMO:-

--Buy a car from out of town. Cars from villages 5-15 miles from town are more likely to have had journeys of a decent length, which is very good for a car. Lots of short journeys means things never get up to temperature - condensation in the oil never gets boiled off, the cat never manages to make it to working temperature. The vast, vast majority of wear on a cars engine and gearbox take place during the first mile of a cold start. A cold start followed by 2 miles into town, or a cold start followed by 5-15 miles into town - the mileage on the odometer is largely irrelevant these days, IMO.

--Maintenance. Always try to buy a car with a decent service record for the last few years. It's nice to have a car that has been properly looked after from new, but it doesn't generally happen. Thorough and decent maintenance by a competent mechanic for the last 2 years or more is - generally - a good indication of what a car is going to be like for the next 12 months.

--Tyres - If they're the same make and model all round, and not the cheapest and nastiest, then it would indicate that the owner actually tries to hunt out the things they feel are good. This doesn't apply if all four tyres were changed at the same time though.

--Exhaust - a stainless steel exhaust will last for a lifetime. Standard offerings tend to last 2-5 years. Having a stainless exhaust system doesn't have to mean the car has been boy-racered.

--Clutch - these tend to last for anything from 40k to 150k, depending on use. One changed in the last 24k or 2 years should be a good indication of no impending nasty bills.

--Paperwork - nice to see it all neatly organized and kept together. Thorough and complete invoices are worth a hundred times more than a rubber stamp in a service book. Check over for repeat failures. It's nice to see the MOT done at the same place each year - and this is also a good guide to verifying the mileage of the vehicle.

The best, and most reliable, vehicles I've ever had have had usual miles on them. Worst was a Mondeo with 56k on the clock and a full dealer history - I killed a little-end within 3k of buying it, despite doing nothing wrong. Best cars have been my little 205, my Rover Sterling, and my Orion. All were bought with around 120k on the clock and gave a faultless performance until the point of selling them - at least 30k later.

Cars are made to be used, not left sitting around for weeks on end. The brakes sieze up, certain valve springs remain compressed whilst others have no load, tyres begin to perish as the load is always carried in one particular area, and bushes just generally die. To me, high mileage is far nicer than a low mileage, so long as the overall condition of the vehicle is good and the car has been well-maintained. Having been in jobs where 2-300 miles each day was typical, I can say with my hand on my heart that - personally - I'd rather have a car that has covered 60k per year than 6k per year. Depending on use and maintenance ;).
  • Options
    I think pretty much every thing has been covered. All I would say is before you buy a car get some insurance quotes to see what sort of differences there are between models. I know my quotes varied quite a lot. And although the £600 mark has been floating about as a typical insurance premium, mine is double that (I'm 22 and passed earlier this year).
  • Options
    How would I drive a car bound for the scrap heap? And more importantly, why would I want to? :eek2:

You are assuming that it's in bad condition but often they aren't. It's just a cheaper option for dealers than storing them.

Other place they go is auctions.

You also seem to believe that with £2k, you'll get to spend most of it on a car. You won't. Tax will be about £165 for the year and insurance will be anything up to £1k. Assuming that it has an MOT, on that pasis you will have about £800 maximum to play with.
  • Options
    I spent about 3 1/2 k on my first car. V reg, 50000 odd miles.

The thing was fuckin shit. I ended up spending about a grand on repairs in the 6 months i had it.

Just cos you spend more money, doesnt neccessarily mean the car will be better than a cheaper one.
  • Options
    600 for insurance? would cost about 3k for me!!
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    600 for insurance? would cost about 3k for me!!

i'm only 3rd party and i'm a girl so it's gonna be cheaper. i didn't even have any no claims bonuses. i also only have a 1.0 106. :p
  • Options
    My road tax is £40- very nice! Compared to my Dad's- £140 ish! Don't know how much the insurance was, as I didn't pay. The car was about £3,000 I think. I love love love my car, was bought from an elderly couple- who could'nt drive it, cos it gave him backache or something, with about 16,000 miles on the clock. It's a Suzuki Alto GL 1.5.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    My road tax is £40- very nice! Compared to my Dad's- £140 ish! Don't know how much the insurance was, as I didn't pay. The car was about £3,000 I think. I love love love my car, was bought from an elderly couple- who could'nt drive it, cos it gave him backache or something, with about 16,000 miles on the clock. It's a Suzuki Alto GL 1.5.

my dad has a toyota prius so his tax is dead cheap.

think mine is about £120 a year.
  • Options
    Just checked my CO2 emmision and my road tax is going to be £125.
  • Options
    Hey as a mechanic just thought I'd throw a few more bits of information in for you. Firstly I dont think those NCAP safety ratings will count for a whole lot in your case as you are (based on your budget) going to be buying a car around 10 years old give or take a couple of years. The reason I say this is back then safety was compromised more with features like power steering electric windows and cd players etc merely because it was more attractive to the buyer than lets say an airbag. Its only really in the last 5 years where safety has really become paramount in the manufacture of a car. What should be more of a concern is insurance and running costs, also don't be too fussy over things like colour and stereotypes.

Personally I would suggest a Micra or Polo, not the most flattering of cars but both known for good reliability and both available in 1.0 litre engines (good for petrol and insurance). The micras are all 16 valve also so despite the smaller engines are actually fairly quick acceleration wise. Avoid going for a Fiesta unless you go for a 1.3 or larger engine, they are very poor cars and Fiats of that age especially are awful. You should be able to get insured for less than £700 and also get a good 40mpg.

Buy private, it will allow you to have a proper look at the car before you decide to buy without the high prices and pushiness of a salesman. Ask for a test drive (nothing too serious) it will let you check how the car runs and feels. Things to look for are the gear changes, are they smooth? If not there could be a problem. Check for excessive or even blue smoke coming from the exhaust if this is the case avoid! Tread on the tyres, if there isn't a lot left then it can be expensive to replace them eating into your budget! Also if the there is more tread on the outside than the inside or vice versa then the tracking could be out meaning more money to sort the problem. Check for general rust particulary the sills this could fail an mot. Paperwork and reciepts etc are also a good sign that the car has been cared for so ask the owner if these have been kept for any repairs past mots etc.

Don't want to overload you with too much info but if you know someone who is clued up on cars take them with you and if you see a good deal get on the phone quick to arrange a viewing as cheaper smaller cars are very sought after!

Hope this helps!:thumb:
  • Options
    Good post.:thumb:
  • Options
    Yeah, that's excellent. I've found a car that I'm interested in actually. Haven't got all my money together yet so I can't buy it just yet, so I hope it stays where it is lol. It's a T Reg Seat Arosa 1.0, 60k on the clock, for £2k, which with a touch of blagging, could get it down a bit price wise. It's got alloys and CD player.

Oh God, I want it noooow :hyper:
  • Options
    Yeah, that's excellent. I've found a car that I'm interested in actually. Haven't got all my money together yet so I can't buy it just yet, so I hope it stays where it is lol. It's a T Reg Seat Arosa 1.0, 60k on the clock, for £2k, which with a touch of blagging, could get it down a bit price wise. It's got alloys and CD player.

Good taste! :thumb: Arosas are fab, my first and only car is an R reg and it's still a little beauty. Only problem I've ever had was a brief spell one winter when the boot wouldn't open :impissed:... had to laugh, really.
  • Options

Don't pay more than 1700
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Good taste! :thumb: Arosas are fab, my first and only car is an R reg and it's still a little beauty. Only problem I've ever had was a brief spell one winter when the boot wouldn't open :impissed:... had to laugh, really.
    How is it to drive? I've driven a new mini and they're horrible clutch-wise. Driven a ford and they're quite comfortable to drive, easier than a mini.

I wanna know everything about your car!!! Do tell! I've definitely got my heart set on an Arosa :love:
  • Options
    Driven a ford and they're quite comfortable to drive, easier than a mini.

Yeah, the new model Transit is ace. Awesome driving position :).
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah, the new model Transit is ace. Awesome driving position :).

I hate driving Trannies. Traffics and Vitos :thumb:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    you can tell you're a new driver, as the new mini is famed for how fun it is to drive. and yes i do own one. :P
    I'm learning in one of those. Much better than the Corsa which I used to learn in. Plus it's good fun when you've had some twat in a 4x4 up your arse for half a mile, then you hit the national speed limit sign and you can just burn away from them while they're struggling to get up the hill.

Oh and as for the old Nissan Micra, I don't know if it's relevant, but lots of driving instructors seem to still be using one, which suggests it's pretty reliable because they get tonnes of use out of them and they're usually driven by pretty crap drivers.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I am learning in a 206.

Compared to my dad's Focus, the clutch is shit and the steering nowhere near as much feedback. But not a bad car. Not particularly good either.

I have never liked its looks though ;(
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    does your instructor let you wave to other minis :wave: ?

i always wave to the driving school dudes but they just look confused..!
    I imagine he wouldn't have a problem. Can't say it's ever come up. I am allowed to beep at people who cut me up though, as long as I don't do it on my test.
  • Options
    My driving instructor once beeped for me... she was so pissed off with a guy who overtook me on a roundabout, she honked the horn while I was driving :lol:
  • Options
    I'm learning in one of those. Much better than the Corsa which I used to learn in. Plus it's good fun when you've had some twat in a 4x4 up your arse for half a mile, then you hit the national speed limit sign and you can just burn away from them while they're struggling to get up the hill.

I also thought 4x4s were ideal for getting up hills? :p
  • Options
    city_boy wrote:
    I also thought 4x4s were ideal for getting up hills? :p
    Yeah......slowly.
  • Options
    Yeah......slowly.

I don't know, the Range Rover Supercharged V8 ain't slow.
  • Options
    city_boy wrote:
    I don't know, the Range Rover Supercharged V8 ain't slow.
    Unless it's that 140mph one that does 0-60 in 7 seconds, then I'd have no problem accelarating away from it in a mini.
  • Options
    Unless it's that 140mph one that does 0-60 in 7 seconds, then I'd have no problem accelarating away from it in a mini.

Yes it is that one! Although I can't pretend it's mine, it's my uncles. I've got a lowly Fiat!
  • Options
    Yeah I remember seeing it on TV. It's just a normal one that's been modified by some seperate company isn't it? Can't see I really understood the need for a 140mph Range Rover tbh.
  • Options
    Yeah I remember seeing it on TV. It's just a normal one that's been modified by some seperate company isn't it? Can't see I really understood the need for a 140mph Range Rover tbh.

Its with a Jag engine. It is fun to drive though, you probably couldn't get a more different driving experience than a mini to a range rover if you tried!