Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"Outrage" over N. Korea missile tests

World powers have condemned North Korea for test-firing a series of missiles, including one thought capable of reaching the US.
The seven missiles included a long-range Taepodong-2, which the US said failed shortly after take-off.

The US called the tests "provocative", Japan announced a range of sanctions, and South Korea, Australia and Russia also expressed concern.

The UN Security Council is due to hold an emergency meeting on the crisis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5149512.stm

Am I the only one who finds a group of nations that has tens of thousands of ballistic missiles and thermonuclear warheads between them telling off another country for testing some piss-poor missiles of its own rather fucking rich?

:rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nope I agree with you, noone took France nuclear tests few years back as "provocative" nor they were considering go and beat the crap out of France for it...

I think they are just trying once again to make people believe there is some reason to go to war against them...

Seems like next war will be US vs NK...

That's so lame...
  • Options
    Nope I agree with you, noone took France nuclear tests few years back as "provocative" nor they were considering go and beat the crap out of France for it...

I think they are just trying once again to make people believe there is some reason to go to war against them...

Seems like next war will be US vs NK...

That's so lame...

Wasnt there a bond movie about that though?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    Wasnt there a bond movie about that though?

Which one? Cos haven't seen the last ones as they got really boring imo...
  • Options
    The last one that had Halle Berry in it as Jynx was about a renegade North Korean colonel buying heavy weapons and using hovercrafts to get them over the DMZ minefieild and he was trying to wage war on China at the same time. But least had Halle Berry in a little bikini.

As for this...pointless newstory i say. No war will come of it, it is simply the political game in my opinion. North Korea want some attention from the world, maybe Kim Jong Il has written a new operah he wants everyone to see. Either way, North Korea will get its attention. China will step on the missile issue for the Americans so they can maintain their new China-India trade agreement and western trade deals. It will all work out in a year or two.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Am I the only one who finds a group of nations that has tens of thousands of ballistic missiles and thermonuclear warheads between them telling off another country for testing some piss-poor missiles of its own rather fucking rich?

The US is naturally concerned for its democratic allies in the region, namely Japan and South Korea. Japan, the most vocal critic of NK's latest move doesn't have nuclear weapons. Japan's constitution forbids it from producing nuclear weapons and the country has been active in promoting non-proliferation treaties. South Korea has done some nuclear research but I don't think there's much signs to suggest they're pursuing a programme in any way equivalent to NK.

Although at least if Japan or South Korea did pursue a nuclear weapons programme the cost of it would not be the starvation of thousands.

The NK 'government' is one of the most evil regimes in the world, it's unfortunate that the most vocal critics of Gitmo (that looks like the Ritz in contrast to the North Korean gulags) are silent on the murder, torture, famine, censorship and forced labour so deeply ingrained in Communist North Korea.

That said, while it sounds callous for the millions of long suffering North Koreans I would not advocate regime change but the sooner the communist regime collapses the better. While unlikely if not impossible for the foreseeable future hopefully one day a peaceful reunification of Korea materialises.
  • Options
    Why should the US be concerned for the welfare of S Korea and Japan because N Korea has tested some missiles?

Has N Korea threatened anyone with war?

Has it suggested it will use its piss-poor missiles on any countries?

No it hasn't.

Every country has a right to have their own defence forces.

It really makes me laugh how all the news organisations (including the BBC, shame to them) are parroting the much trumpeted statistic that the range of the Taepodong-2 missile could allow it to reach American land- in particular the northern tip of Alaska.

Well I'm scared shitless. And so should the Alaskans. We all know what important target Alaska must be to North Korea.

It's all a load of bollocks. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well I'm scared shitless. And so should the Alaskans. We all know what important target Alaska must be to North Korea.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Alaska should be scared.

It will be 9/11 times 2356.
  • Options
    Are all governments as stable and rational as each other Aladdin?
  • Options
    No they're not. Look at the biggest stockpiler of WMDs in human history for instance- it is also the most aggresive and unilaterist warmonger regime of the last 6 decades, and the only one to have used nuclear weapons in anger.

More the reason for it to leave North Korea alone. At the moment this a bit like Jack the Ripper campaigning to stop children from carrying a 2-inch Swiss army knife.
  • Options
    Leaving aside the US and its comments - if you lived in South Korea you wouldnt be at all nervous by this?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Leaving aside the US and its comments - if you lived in South Korea you wouldnt be at all nervous by this?

Probably a bit concern I guess, but it's not like NK say they are going to bomb them either... At least NK do their tests in their own country... Which is/was not the case for country like France, UK, US and others...
  • Options
    I don't think I would. Certainly not any more than I was yesterday. If someone wanted to be mad enough to start a nuclear war, they could deliver the bombs relatively easy by a number of ways- especially to South Korea, which is only a stone's throw away.

The fact is that any rival or even neighbour of any country might feel 'worried' about others acquiring new weapons. But there is nothing they can- or should- do about it. Not unless there is a clear and imminent danger of war from said country. Which in this case, there isn't.
  • Options
    So you would be quite happy for every single country in the world to be in possession of weapons that are capable of killing millions of people in a second?
  • Options
    So you would be quite happy for every single country in the world to be in possession of weapons that are capable of killing millions of people in a second?

No countries should own anything like that. Whats the point of the ones that have them having them?
  • Options

Don't think anyone is happy with it, but why some countries should have them, now it's dne somehave it already so can't change anything, and stop others from having them unless there is some weird reason behind it...

Also I thought the US was working again on their anti missle laser stuff, if that's the case no missile is supposed to be able to hit the US so don't know why they feel concern...
  • Options
    I'd be a lot happier for no country at all to have them.

But since some already do, it is wrong to force others not to have them.

In any case, unfortunately it is too late for N Korea- they have already got the bomb. And they have already got the means to deliver them to their immediate neighbours, S Korea and Japan. This is just a case of a select group of nations with superior firepower to the rest of the world not wanting others to join their select club.
  • Options
    Also I thought the US was working again on their anti missle laser stuff, if that's the case no missile is supposed to be able to hit the US so don't know why they feel concern...
    See, that's actually the kind of thing that makes the world a lot unsafer. If the concept of MAD is removed, suddenly you have a vulnerable and very threatened nation against another that is protected against attack.

As it happens the missile shield has all the realibility of a 20 year old Lada so it won't matter. But that hasn't stopped the Russians (and most probably the Chinese) from developing a new generation of missiles designed to beat any future shield that does. So we have a new arms race in place thanks to Dubya and his Star Wars little games.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    See, that's actually the kind of thing that makes the world a lot unsafer. If the concept of MAD is removed, suddenly you have a vulnerable and very threatened nation against another that is protected against attack.

As it happens the missile shield has all the realibility of a 20 year old Lada so it won't matter. But that hasn't stopped the Russians (and most probably the Chinese) from developing a new generation of missiles designed to beat any future shield that does. So we have a new arms race in place thanks to Dubya and his Star Wars little games.

It's just a fucking sad worl we are living it innit...

If we want peace te only solution is to remove all those shit weapons from every single countries... But hey, everyone can dream right...
  • Options
    Which ever country does develop the anti-nuclear missile defence sheild first will not only have an advantage they will win outright! No longer can another Nuclear power hold anything over them, only threaten to destroy the whole world rather then be conquered as other countries wont have the protection.

As for this situation, South Korea is not that afraid by Nuclear missiles, they are afriad of what happens if the Americans and other allies pulled out and if anything happened to the Mine feild between them and the North. That is what keeps South Koreans feeling safe. Nuclear weapons are not a fear simply because they know the North wants re-unification of a whole Korea not a partially nuked Korea.
  • Options
    There was an episode in West Wing Season 6, a country has performed a nuclear test without telling anyone and at the end of it all, Martin Sheen says to John Spencer. We got a new player in the game.

Anyway, as far the US defence systems go...
    Do you really think that Americans are afraid of anyone?
    They've been experimenting with a laser weapon on a 747 for about 30 years now and are bound to have it developed by now.
    They've been testing hypersonic aircraft for 20 years now, and I am sure they've got some developed now.
    If need be, they can send a plane to intercept the ICBM in flight.

What people are not thinking about is why anyone should be worried about another country joining the Nuclear Group. What if North Korea sells one of their warheads to a terrorist? Someone crazy enough to use it.

Countries having nuclear capabilities has actually stopped a 3rd world war!! If there were no nukes in the world, we would have had another big war in Europe in the last 60 years, maybe. Who knows.
    It's a good enough detterent as it is a danger.
  • Options
    I don't mind being in the select club, at least if there was a big war we could just let them shoot missiles at each other and I wouldn't have to be called to the trenches lol.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    North Korea is the biggest banger in the world today.

Although it is pretty harmless. That long range missile was supprisingly lame. They ain't gonna use nukes though. If anything, we should do what China said - co-opperate with N.K - N.K has said it IS willing to give up its Nukes - providing the rest of the world opens borders and lifts sanctions.

Which most of the west is not willing to do. So, N.K will keep it's nukes I guess.

I mean come on, why shouldn't we trust Kim? Sure, he might be a bit off his rocker, but he's hardly a nutjob. It turns out Saddam destroyed his weapons when we asked him after all - what is to say Kim won't do the same?

I mean, come on - the best way to help the North Korean people IS to lift Sanctions - not to impose more! This does say alot for the wankers in power over the world though.:impissed:
  • Options
    Supporting North Koera having nukes?
    You support Iran having Nukes - which wants to get rid of Israel.
    Both are rouge states that you simply can not trust. the world be a much dangerous place if they had nukes.

This country wants to update our nukes, you lot criticise. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    North Korea already has nukes.

And like it or not, they have as much right to an armed forces that includes missiles as just anyone else.

North Korea is not the country that has nuked 2 cities and invaded & bombed more than 20 nations in the last 6 decades, by the way.
  • Options
    But they would have if they could, and worse........
  • Options
    North Korea has waged its own war already and only stopped because they couldnt win. If America hadnt put an army in the way of the North Koreans then their wouldnt be a free South Korea.

It is one thing to have Missiles, but Nukes should be kept limited and not spread around everywhere.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    luke88 wrote:
    Supporting North Koera having nukes?
    You support Iran having Nukes - which wants to get rid of Israel.
    Both are rouge states that you simply can not trust. the world be a much dangerous place if they had nukes.

No they aren't. North Korea has tried diplomatic means and has offered to get rid of its program if we lfit sanctions (The best outcome for both the rest of the world and the North Korean people.) and everyone said no. Why... ? I have no idea. North Korea is a bad state, it's only "rouge" insofar as it won't obey America's every command like that twat Blair.

Iran is much the same. And also - can you give a justified reason why they shouldn't have nukes if the rest of the world keeps threatening them and won't lift sanctions? If Britain has no nukes, and France did, and France kept threatening us, and imposing sanctions with the rest of the world, called Britain a rouge state, and we made nukes... surley you'd be happy then? There are two sides to an argument. You should realise this.
    luke88 wrote:
    This country wants to update our nukes, you lot criticise. :rolleyes:

I don't. Far as I am concerned, as long as the US has nukes, everyone should have nukes to fight back... you bet if we get a Prime Minister who doesn't follow the US and it's every wish...

We'll be a rouge state and on that Axis of Evil list.
  • Options
    Perhaps if the US weren't in the habit of illegally bombing, attacking and declaring war on countless nations across the globe for decades, countries wouldn't feel the need of going nuclear.

But when you get cowboy madmen speaking of 'axis of evil' and invading countries at will, I cannot blame anyone for wanting to ensure their territorial integrity is intact by any means possible. And the ONLY way to defend your territorial integrity against the New Empire is by acquiring your own nukes.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Perhaps if the US weren't in the habit of illegally bombing, attacking and declaring war on countless nations across the globe for decades, countries wouldn't feel the need of going nuclear.

But when you get cowboy madmen speaking of 'axis of evil' and invading countries at will, I cannot blame anyone for wanting to ensure their territorial integrity is intact by any means possible. And the ONLY way to defend your territorial integrity against the New Empire is by acquiring your own nukes.

:confused: Before the president of Iran declared wiping Israel off the map a no. 1 aim and denied the Holocaust but promised to unleash a 'real' Middle Eastern Holocaust there was no serious talk of the US attacking Iran. And NK, nukes or no nukes talk of an actual invasion was pretty much confined to one or two Washington think-tanks. And unless you know something nobody else does the US with its military resources concentrated in Iraq and Afghanistan is in no position to invade NK, Iran or any other country. Hence the idea of nuclear weapons being somehow essential for every country is complete bollocks. I've no idea why you're so keen for everybody to get nuclear weapons, do you think the Middle East armed to the teeth with nukes is a good thing? Or do you stand to gain financially or something? Are you a nuke salesman? :p