Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

If Your Were The England Football Coach ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
If Your Were The England Football Coach ... what changes would you make?

First if all I'd want to make sure my guys didn't look so damn scruffy as they came out on to the pitch of a world cup match. I'd make them all shave an hour before the match .. :D

Then I'd probabaly want to knock down the so called star players a few begs, I think the team played so much better against Portual once the stars were off the pitch.

I'd also send them on some anger management courses so they don't lose their tempers in matches and get themselves sent-off when they could have gotten away with a Yellow Card.

Also if I were coach I wouldn't turn up to a match in a suit and just sit there for the whole game, I think the Portuguese coach had the right idea, dress like any other coach not like an office worker and start shouting some advice to the team as they play.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i'd kick lampard off the team for a start, just try and be a bit less predictable, and i don't mean taking some kid to a world cup and then not playing him :? ......
  • Options
    I would work on my players fitness, the English players are not fit enough. Not all of them anyway.

I would introduce fines for every bad decision, every red card, every dive, every disciplinary issue.

I would play a 4-3-3 most of the time. England has got the best middle line in the world, so why not.
    I would stop players practising penalties.

I would introduce training on players communication, leadership and team-building skills.

I would also hire some cheerleaders...yep.
  • Options
    ...I'd resign.

Most thankless task in football.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    I would work on my players fitness, the English players are not fit enough. Not all of them anyway.
    Most of them play far more games than any other countries players. The problem is that we don't play possession football like other countries, so we're constantly chasing the ball. But yeah, I wouldn't pick players who aren't fit (*cough* Owen *cough*)

I wouldn't spend half an hour before each match trying to get Frank Lampard's head through the dressing room door (or any other player struggling to carry his ego for that matter), I'd just pick someone else.

I'd make sure that we can take penalties properly.

I'd only pick players that I've actually seen play.

I'd pick wingers who have more to their game than effort, the ability to send aimless balls up to the shortest strikers in the world, and occasionally take a good free kick if he's having a good day.

I'd shout more.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    ...I'd resign.

Most thankless task in football.

Me too.

Eriksson ahs taken us to the last 8 in three consecutive majour tournaments, given us probably the greatest night of football since 1966 in Munich, and yet he's remembered as a failure.

What the fuck is that all about?
  • Options
    No England manager can ever do a good job unless the team wins both the World Cup and Euro championships every time.

According, at least, to the media-induced hype that engulfs much of the country every 2 years and leads many to believe England are the best football side of those in the competition and anything other than triumph and glory would be underachievement and failure.

All tabloid newspapers would have to be shut down for good first before an England manager can have a decent chance to do a good job.
  • Options
    Dump Lampard and Beckham for a start. Then spend most of our get together's practising penalties.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No England manager can ever do a good job unless the team wins both the World Cup and Euro championships every time.

According, at least, to the media-induced hype that engulfs much of the country every 2 years and leads many to believe England are the best football side of those in the competition and anything other than triumph and glory would be underachievement and failure.

All tabloid newspapers would have to be shut down for good first before an England manager can have a decent chance to do a good job.

That's bollocks and you know it!!
    ;)

If Sven has chosen a different team and adopted different style of play, England could have done better this time especially with everyone playing badly this time round. I mean Portugal were awful!!
    How the hell can losing to Portugal who were that SHIT be a good result??
  • Options
    The thing is, if every team played to their full potential and made best use of their players' talents available, you would still have 6-8 teams with as valid a claim to win the WC as England.

Of course England could win it. So could many other teams.

And whereas it is a good thing to have high hopes and morale, having high expectations tends to be counterproductive.

Do you really think England being branded second favourites to win was a reasonable assertion? I know bookies will always give England ludicrously short odss because they know people will put money on them anyway, but more the pity for the media and the masses to buy the story.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The thing is, if every team played to their full potential and made best use of their players' talents available, you would still have 6-8 teams with as valid a claim to win the WC as England.

And whereas it is a good thing to have high hopes and morale, having high expectations tends to be counterproductive.

Do you really think England being branded second favourites to win was a reasonable assertion? I know bookies will always give England ludicrously short odss because they know people will put money on them anyway, but more the pity for the media and the masses to buy the story.

I agree about high expectations!! It's never a good thing to have them!!

However, looking at the teams England played and the players in the squad....the reality is that England had an easy way into the semis and fucked up.
    From the first game, my mate (who is a football coach) and me were screaming at the tv and asking what the fuck is sven doing.
    All the people i spoke to think that sven could have adopted better tactics, used subs better and generally be a better coach!!

And yeah making England the favourites was stupid.
  • Options
    i'd kick lampard off the team for a start

Yes, FF would have to go. Overrated doesn't even begin to cover it.

I'd give Rooney a good slap round the lughole and take Mike Tyson up on his offer of giving the lad some anger management training and/or a good beatdown.

Nah, I'd probably just resign actually. Addict hit the nail on the head, utterly thankless task. Why anyone would bother is beyond me (well it's not, but it certainly wouldn't be enticing enough for yours truly).
  • Options
    they should find a guy called mike basset, he'll do the job
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Which is why a decent coach can make all the difference. When all of the players are of such a similar ability, a good tactician who can get the best out of his players and fashion a quality team is vital if you're gonna do anything. And at £5m a year, I'd expect Sven to show that he is one, but he failed.
  • Options
    Choose players who actually play football and don't sit on the bench all season/spend most of the season injured.

Make sure that there are enough players for back up. (that is, not taking 4 strikers to the WC; one of whom has never played Premiership football and 2 who are either injured or have only just returned from injury)
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    they should find a guy called mike basset, he'll do the job

Yeah, but even he didn't win it.

There are 8 teams that could win the World Cup in any given year, and England are one of them. It has nothing to do with bad tactics or bad players that England do not do so, it is partly about luck and the players keeping their head in pressure situations.

Winning World Cups is about one moment of genuis, as Italy proved last night. One minute to go and they were probably going out, 30 seconds to go and they'd won. Italy didn't win because of tactics or because Klinmsmann should have picked someone else.
  • Options
    What the fuck is all this about Lampard?? Are these the people who ONLY watch World Cups/Euro's??

Because if you knew anything about football and watched any number of Chelsea games this year and knew he was close to being crowned world player of the year you'd realise Lampard deserved his place in the team. Sure he was shit at this tournament (shit may even be an understatement) but he is a quality player who just didn't get into his stride in this tournament. I agree with Lamps when he's complained about being wrongly treated by the press at this tournament and that he deserves more respect because he does. He's one of the best midfielders in the world and it doesn't take many bad performances and a press grilling to turn people who know fuck all about football against him.
  • Options
    sure he had a good season with chelsea, anyone who shoots as much as him is bound to score a few deflections, i mean erm goals.......he's hardly world player of the year though, maybe he deserved his place in the paraguay game, and i might've even given him the benefit of the doubt against T+T, but he's been shit from start to finish in this tournament.........out of all the swearing at the telly during the england games his name was definitely top of the list, obviously not being rested all season took its toll.
  • Options
    - The squad would drop the bling when they're on England duty. Forget modelling the Armani suits, the £2500 wristwatches and all the other self-indulgent nonsense that these over-payed árseholes obsess over. They would be concentrating on football.

- Emphasise to the media that far too much pressure is put on players before a tournament. The route to the final is always mapped out before a ball is kicked when games should be taken one at a time; have respect for the squad and the opposition.

- The captain would be the only player to attend press conferences and do interviews. Even then, interviews would be restricted so the same old pressure isn't put on and the same, nonsensical old questions aren't asked by wánkers like Garth Crooks.

- Leave Rio Ferdinand out of the squad.

- Play 4-4-2.

- Motivate the players. Let them know they can win but it will take a LOT of hard work and effort on their part. Come extra time the other night, Sven was standing around on the pitch when he should have had the players huddled round, letting them know what he wanted them to do for the next 30 minutes.

- Practice penalties every day.
  • Options

- Leave Rio Ferdinand out of the squad.

Leave your best performing centre back out of the team? Good job you're not manager.

Oh, and dropping Lampard is bullshit too. I do think he's overrated but he just had a shitty tournament. He's still a great midfielder on his day.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Leave your best performing centre back out of the team? Good job you're not manager.

Oh, and dropping Lampard is bullshit too. I do think he's overrated but he just had a shitty tournament. He's still a great midfielder on his day.
    :thumb: Am i agreeing with you?? Hmmmm, must have forgot to take my medication this morning. Theres always the Ronaldo threads to move onto :p
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Leave your best performing centre back out of the team?

Terry would still be in there. :confused:

I would drop Rio from the squad then laugh and tell him he got merked.
  • Options
    Terry would still be in there. :confused:

I would drop Rio from the squad then laugh and tell him he got merked.

If you watched football you'd realise Rio's better than Terry for England.

If you'd drop him, so you could laugh, then that's different.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    If you watched football you'd realise Rio's better than Terry for England.

If you'd drop him, so you could laugh, then that's different.

Having a laugh at his expense is an after thought.

I wouldn't want someone who cares so little about missing a drug test he knew he would fail anywhere near the international squad.

It's not a personal thing; I can't stand Gary Neville but he would be made captain. As he showed after the Portugal game, he's the only serious candidate for the job.
  • Options

I wouldn't want someone who cares so little about missing a drug test he knew he would fail anywhere near the international squad.

Why do you say that? Are you his doctor or a close confidant?

He took a test as soon as he realised his mistake and was clean.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Why do you say that? Are you his doctor or a close confidant?

He took a test as soon as he realised his mistake and was clean.

Professional footballers are well aware of the importance of drug tests in the sport. Despite being reminded to take it, this professional "forgot".

I'm sure he was aware that missing a test would have serious consequences, so why do that unless he had a very good reason to?
  • Options
    Professional footballers are well aware of the importance of drug tests in the sport. Despite being reminded to take it, this professional "forgot".

I'm sure he was aware that missing a test would have serious consequences, so why do that unless he had a very good reason to?

It was stupid, but people make silly decisions sometimes in moments of stupidity. It certainly not something to hold against them for the rest of their career. The fact he was clean when he was re-tested is enough for me to forgive him, and let him get on with his career. I wouldn't be dropping him from the England team because of it. He's served his time, so to speak.
  • Options
    - Drop Beckham - his place is not taken for granted
    - Leave Owen Hargreaves in the hole - like a Roy Keane role
    - Give Lampard a smack for being such a complete plank in the World Cup
    - Make Gerrard captain
    - Send Rooney to anger management classes and tell him that his place is at stake if he doesn't calm down. Best player in England he may be but that doesn't make a bit of difference if you've been sent off.
    - Go and see Theo Walcott play! Then you'll realise what such a phenomenal talent that boy is.
  • Options
    did anyone else like joe coles wonder super goal against sweden i think it was?
  • Options
    I agree with Addict about Rio, sure he's a drug cheat who plays for the scummiest team in England (the insult is to make me feel better for agreeing with Addict :) ) BUT he is quality in an England shirt and barely put a foot wrong in the whole tournament, he was one of the good things to come out of the perfomances of England in every game.

I also wouldn't condemn him for his drug fuck up for the rest of his career, like Addict said he's done his time. Saying this I will probably change my mind once he pulls the scum shirt back on :)
  • Options
    I really don't like drugs cheat Rio, but he is England's best centre back, and if he isn't suspended I would play him. I wouldn't be chopping my nose off simply to spite my face. He was solid, as he was in 2002, unlike one John Terry, who seemed too slow.

I would drop Lampard, partly because it'd be the kick up the arse he needs after his last two years for England, and partly because I don't think him and Gerrard can play together, and Gerrard is a better player than him.