Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cheated On Gf How Can I Cope With The Guilt?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey im chris and ive just joined this bored, so hi peeps!

Been going out with a women, and ive recently cheated on her, the oppurtunity was right in front of me, so naturally i took that oppurtunity and went for it! Im not usually that kind of person and i still cant understand why i did what i did. I know im stupid for doing it, but just came on here to see if anyone else has done it, and what i can do to cope with the guilt im feeling right now, Chris

Comments

• Options
    Tell your girlfirend what you did and let her leave your ass as she doesn't deservive such scum.
  • Options
    so naturally i took that oppurtunity and went for it!

You always take whats put on a plate do you?
    Do the decent thing and tell you gf.
  • Options
    Remember to apply Tobasco Sauce to your 'jap's eye' just before you tell her so that the tears make you seem sincere ...
  • Options
    you need to tell your girlfriend then you need to look at why your so insecure that youll take any slapper that offers herself on a plate.

being a cheaters not good... girls talk you know
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Remember to apply Tobasco Sauce to your 'jap's eye' just before you tell her so that the tears make you seem sincere ...

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    pffft you are so stupid, why the hell would you cheat on your girlfriend, if you aint happy enough in the relationship to stay faithful then why are you in it in the first place? you deserve whats coming to ya.

i'd never cheat on my girlfriend, i'd rather finish it before i did that. but i aint doing that either.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Chris,
    There are several reasons why people cheat on their partner - many of which are explained in the following article: why they were unfaithful

Obviously people on these boards have been quick to judge you and tbh the phrase "naturally I took the opportunity and went for it" doesn't really sum up the feelings of someone who is feeling guilty - which is why I think you are mainly getting the response that you are.

However we can't tell how you are honestly feeling or exaclty what steps to take, so you probably need to really work out why you did cheat in your own head before you decide on your next steps. If you decide that it was because you're not ready for commitment/ are bored/unsatisfied with your relationship then it may well be a good idea to just come clean and move on. If on the other hand you have been feeling insecure, then addressing these issues is as important as deciding whether or not to tell your girlfriend as they could effect the likelihood of you cheating again.

As for the guilt - it will probably take a while to like yourself again, but in time you will accept your mistake and hopefully learn from it. If you feel like it is taking over your life you may find it helps to talk to a counsellor Relate might be a good place to start.

Finally - here is a blog entry about guilt which you might find interesting.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Obviously people on these boards have been quick to judge you and tbh the phrase "naturally I took the opportunity and went for it" doesn't really sum up the feelings of someone who is feeling guilty - which is why I think you are mainly getting the response that you are.

Aw, Helen! The Tabasco Sauce trick has always worked for me ... and there I was trying to be helpful! :p
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Teagan wrote:
    Aw, Helen! The Tabasco Sauce trick has always worked for me ... and there I was trying to be helpful! :p

:lol: I didn't mean every single response.
  • Options
    Dude I had a girlfriend who I went out with for 1 year and 8 months and I cheated on her (we'd been going out 1 year and 1 month when this happened) thing is I didn't mean to do it, I was fucking pissed, coked up, pilled up, you name it I'd done it that night and I can't actually remember doing it but people told me and I've seen photos people took. I felt like a fucking dickhead cos I really loved my girlfriend and to be honest if you care for your girlfriend as much as I did mine then you'll do the honest thing, as I did, and tell her. She'll be angry and upset but she'll respect you for telling her and if you're lucky and she cares for you as much as you do her then maybe she'll give you a second chance. If she does though, don't be a tosser and 'naturally take the opportunity' ever again.
  • Options
    XTC wrote:
    ... I was fucking pissed, coked up, pilled up, you name it I'd done it that night ...

Respect dude! I doubt I would even have got it up after that!!!! :eek2:
  • Options
    Lol I very much doubt I did aswell, but apparantly I didn't actually sleep with this girl but other things happened not including my nob, lol if you get my meaning
  • Options
    you don't seem to have any gulit. Just tell her and be perpared for her to leave you.. what else can you do at this point
  • Options
    tell her = instant guilt relief. (no secrets)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    If you do the dirty you have to live with the guilt - you'll get over it, and I wouldn't bother owning up if you can get away with it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    If you do the dirty you have to live with the guilt - you'll get over it, and I wouldn't bother owning up if you can get away with it.
    and have her find out months down the line for herself?
    would anyone want to be with a partner that wouldn't own up to cheating....how cowardly
  • Options
    Hey im chris and ive just joined this bored, so hi peeps!

Been going out with a women, and ive recently cheated on her, the oppurtunity was right in front of me, so naturally i took that oppurtunity and went for it! Im not usually that kind of person and i still cant understand why i did what i did. I know im stupid for doing it, but just came on here to see if anyone else has done it, and what i can do to cope with the guilt im feeling right now, Chris

People are probably going to disagree with what i'm about to say...

It would be wrong of you to own up if the only reason is to get rid of your guilt, that isnt fair on your girlfriend. If you have learned your lesson and arent going to do it again AND nobody else knows i.e. her mates then i say don't tell her at all. You'd probably still feel guilty anyway and make her really upset in the process.

Thats just my opinion though..
  • Options
    If I were your girlf, I'd want to know. Same with my boyf, if he ever cheated on me, then I'd want to know. Depending on the circumstances would depend if I took him back. But if the circumstances are simply that someone can't control themselves- or body parts- then I'd be long gone.

What would stop him from doing it again?!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    and have her find out months down the line for herself?
    would anyone want to be with a partner that wouldn't own up to cheating....how cowardly

If I was seeing somebody (non serious) and say they were going on holiday or whatever, I would actually say to them before they went that if they did anything with anybody then I don't want to know about it.

So long as nothing in the relationship changed, I wouldn't see the sense in saying anything.
  • Options
    i can't believe there are people saying don't confess :eek2:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

If she would never find out - why would you say anything?
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    well is that how you would like to be treated? you're better off upsetting her and doing her a favour than living with the guilt of cheating and the guilt of lying to her while you're with her
    if you regret it then do her a favour and fess up - be a man for gods sake
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    well is that how you would like to be treated?

my thoughts exactly
    Bri-namite wrote:

because you believe they deserve a bit of respect and honesty maybe??
  • Options
    because you believe they deserve a bit of respect and honesty maybe??

OK i agree with that actually.
  • Options
    you've disrespected them once by cheating, being a coward and lying is just disrespecting them even more
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    you've disrespected them once by cheating, being a coward and lying is just disrespecting them even more

Or saving them from having the heartache of hearing something that they can't change.
  • Options
    Or saving them from having the heartache of hearing something that they can't change.
    just cause you can't handle being dumped - its not about saving her feelings, its about saving your own
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

I can understand why some people are saying don't confess, and I can see why you think he should confess.

Prsonally, I would confess. Would you rather she found out from your best mate?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    well is that how you would like to be treated? you're better off upsetting her and doing her a favour than living with the guilt of cheating and the guilt of lying to her while you're with her
    if you regret it then do her a favour and fess up - be a man for gods sake

Like I said, if she didn't tell me I wouldn't know about it, so it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. I'd never cheat on a girl I had any real feelings for anyway, but if I was in a casual relationship and it happened then I'd either keep quiet or end the relationship.

If it was a serious relationship then it'd be different.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Like I said, if she didn't tell me I wouldn't know about it, so it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. I'd never cheat on a girl I had any real feelings for anyway, but if I was in a casual relationship and it happened then I'd either keep quiet or end the relationship.

If it was a serious relationship then it'd be different.
    it would be more the fact that they HAD and hadn't told you...what if you found out months later?