Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Are Paedos 'evil'?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are paedophiles 'evil' and can they be 'cured'?

Erm..that's the question :p

Paedophillia in itself is attraction to children and in itself is definitely not 'evil' but I guess morally to most people it is wrong. I think it should be treated as an illness. When I think about it and after seeing the film Happiness..Not sure if anyone else has seen it?

Anyway, to sum it up briefly the psychiatrist molests the friends of his pre-teen son. The film basically makes him to be a pretty sympathetic character but there is one especially touching scene which I couldnt possibly ruin by telling anyone it :p

Anyway looking at paedophiles themselves. Do you think any of them know that there is something wrong with being attracted to children? Do some WANT to get help? If a paedophile went to the doctor's one day and told them their anxieties how would they be greeted?

This is my rambly ramblings by the way. I hope it made sense. My trail of thought is kinda umm..sporadic.

Comments

• Options
    The word sounds evil to me. But the only way to be sure is to use the ducking stool.
  • Options
    chemical castration is painless.
  • Options
    are you serious?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think paedophilia is just as "evil" as homosexuality etc. The difference is that the latter has to do with adults so it's not morally wrong (in our time at least) but the former is wrong because it has to do with kids.
    When some guy kidnaps a 3 year old kid to molest, the evil deeds are: 1)The kidnapping and 2)the molestation. Him wanting to do that isn't evil, just something he should have ignored as best as possible.
    So yes, I believe they should be offered psychiatric help.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It is a kindof mental condition I beleive... and some can't resist the urges.

Shoot 'em, put them out of their misery, and save the chance they could ever do anything to children again.
  • Options
    I think paedophilia is just as "evil" as homosexuality etc. The difference is that the latter has to do with adults so it's not morally wrong (in our time at least) but the former is wrong because it has to do with kids.
    When some guy kidnaps a 3 year old kid to molest, the evil deeds are: 1)The kidnapping and 2)the molestation. Him wanting to do that isn't evil, just something he should have ignored as best as possible.
    So yes, I believe they should be offered psychiatric help.

I agreeee. You worded it much better!
  • Options
    I think paedophilia is just as "evil" as homosexuality etc. .
    are you serious?
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    are you serious?
    second or third time evn ...they should be locked away forever ...but with an immediate release from jail if they agree to be castrated ...all urges gone.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    People who fantasize about sex with kids arn't evil they're just wrong'uns.
    Those who make those fantasies reality are!

My take on it anyway.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I think the urges are unacceptable but definitely not evil. What if a perfectly 'normal' person wakes up one day and has an attraction to children? Does that automatically make them 'evil'?

Acting on those urges is a different thing.
  • Options
    Am I correct in assuming that this thread was prompted by me repeatedly using the phrase "evil paedophiles"? If it was, I stand by what I said entirely. Yes, I believe paedophiles are evil scumbags, and no, I don't think they can be cured of such sick urges. Personally, I think anyone who is prepared to sexually abuse a child should be put to death, but since that is not possible in this country, I think they need to be locked up, far away from any children, and never released.
  • Options
    are you serious?

no i know what he means by that. He doesn't mean that they are both just as bad as each other but that having sexual thought about children is not necesserily wrong as such. I have thought about this issue before and I guess as sick at peodophila is you can not help your feelings and what you are attracted to just like you can not help being gay if that is really how you feel. Don't get me wrong I do not condone (sp?) this behaviour in the slightest but you can not help what your mind is telling you which is why it could be seen as a mental health issue
  • Options
    second or third time evn ...they should be locked away forever ...but with an immediate release from jail if they agree to be castrated ...all urges gone.

Isn't that just sweeping the problem under the rug? There are ALWAYS going to be people attracted to children. Being attracted to a child doesn't automatically mean that you are a threat. How do we know that there aren't people fighting the urges? If there are I'm guessing it's without medical help because think of the consequences if they did come out so to speak.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Personally, I think anyone who is prepared to sexually abuse a child should be put to death.

Same as I said above. Simply because it is the most logical conclusion. Many Paedophiles themselves have said they'd rather be dead.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Same as I said above. Simply because it is the most logical conclusion. Many Paedophiles themselves have said they'd rather be dead.
    Having low self-esteem can never be an excuse for commiting such evil deeds.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Well, not so much that... they said they will offend again if let out... because they can't control the urges and they see nothing wrong with it. So they'd rather die.
  • Options
    are you serious?
    Some people are turned on by feet. There's nothing morally wrong about that, so no complaints. Some people are turned on by people of their own sex. The same.
    Some people are turned on by kids. That's not something they can control, any more than the two examples above can.

If someone kidnaps a grown woman to do stuff to her feet, his evil deed is the kidnapping and that he did the stuff without her consent.
    If some guy kidnaps another guy to rape, his evil deed is the kidnapping and the fact that he forced the other one into sex without his consent.
    But in these two examples, the correct thing to do would have been for the person in question to find someone who would agree to these things being done, and who'd be legally able to agree (i.e. mentally grown-up).

If some guy kidnaps another a kid to molest, his evil deed is the kidnapping and the fact that he did it without the kid's consent.
    THE BIG DIFFERENCE HERE IS: Kids don't have the legal ability to give consent. Unlike the other two who could find someone to do what they want with legally, this one can't. So the only moral solution is to not do it. If they need help with that, a psychiatrist/ologist/analyst/whatever could help, I think. But their urges aren't wrong in themselves.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

I dont think that was his point. The paedophiles can't help that they are attracted to children and hate themselves for it so would rather be dead? Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Some people are turned on by feet. There's nothing morally wrong about that, so no complaints. Some people are turned on by people of their own sex. The same.
    Some people are turned on by kids. That's not something they can control, any more than the two examples above can.

If someone kidnaps a grown woman to do stuff to her feet, his evil deed is the kidnapping and that he did the stuff without her consent.
    If some guy kidnaps another guy to rape, his evil deed is the kidnapping and the fact that he forced the other one into sex without his consent.
    But in these two examples, the correct thing to do would have been for the person in question to find someone who would agree to these things being done, and who'd be legally able to agree (i.e. mentally grown-up).

If some guy kidnaps another a kid to molest, his evil deed is the kidnapping and the fact that he did it without the kid's consent.
    THE BIG DIFFERENCE HERE IS: Kids don't have the legal ability to give consent. Unlike the other two who could find someone to do what they want with legally, this one can't. So the only moral solution is to not do it. If they need help with that, a psychiatrist/ologist/analyst/whatever could help, I think. But their urges aren't wrong in themselves.

That's what I was trying to say but you worded it better :p
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Isn't that just sweeping the problem under the rug? There are ALWAYS going to be people attracted to children. Being attracted to a child doesn't automatically mean that you are a threat. How do we know that there aren't people fighting the urges? If there are I'm guessing it's without medical help because think of the consequences if they did come out so to speak.
    if a guy has offended in such a manner against children and genuinely feels remorse and he gets whatever help is available ...and he goes on to offend again ...then he should accept it's jail forever or ...instant freedom if he has his nuts cut off.
    chemical castration is apparently painless and the guy won't just have his freedom ...he'll also have some dignity knowing he has done the right thing having his nuts undone.
  • Options
    if a guy has offended in such a manner against children and genuinely feels remorse and he gets whatever help is available ...and he goes on to offend again ...then he should accept it's jail forever or ...instant freedom if he has his nuts cut off.
    chemical castration is apparently painless and the guy won't just have his freedom ...he'll also have some dignity knowing he has done the right thing having his nuts undone.

Surely it doesn't all revolve around his bollocks
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:

exactly. Also women can be peodophiles too, what would be done to them as I don't think an op would stop any urges a woman may have? I may be wrong tho
  • Options
    That's what I was trying to say but you worded it better :p
    That's a rare thing... Usually I struggle to find words to say something and end up writing about 50 of them without anyone understanding what I meant, and someone else comes and says the exact same thing in 6 words. :p
  • Options
    That's a rare thing... Usually I struggle to find words to say something and end up writing about 50 of them without anyone understanding what I meant, and someone else comes and says the exact same thing in 6 words. :p

haha, na I thought that put the point across well
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    remove his hands as well then.
  • Options

Unfortunately time machines arent available.

edit: what about his mouth?
  • Options

lol
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Yes, I believe paedophiles are evil scumbags.

Why? Some people, through bad luck I guess are attracted to children, can't blame them for that, can't blame homosexuals fancying members of the same sex. However they have a moral obligation not to act their fantasies.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Unfortunately time machines arent available.

edit: what about his mouth?
    i'm not talking about the hands on his watch ...:chin:
  • Options
    i'm not talking about the hands on his watch ...:chin:

I know