Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are Paedos 'evil'?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    otter wrote:
    i'm not reading the whole thread because i rekon it would be very triggering.
    but i just want to say:
    :mad:
    how the hell can that question even be asked?
    try being on the recieving end and then try and justify that paedos are not evil.
    of course they are fucking evil.
    even if its done in the most seductive way, they wreck their victims lives forever.
    end of.
    Maybe you should read the whole thread. Or a dictionary. "Paedophile" doesn't mean "attacker".
    BTW, my tone might seem attacking, but it's not. Simply explaining.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    doesn't matter.
    nobody grabs a dictionary when that term is used.
    they associate it with only one thing.
    i can't read the whole thread. but the question is 'are paedos evil' not is our understanding of the word correct and what do we think of them.
    i don't mean to sound aggressive either. but... :(
  • Options
    When there's a mistake, any mistake, including the misuse of a word, people need to correct it.
  • Options
    how will it protect them? all it will do is scaremonger and isolate the ex-convict increasing the chances of him re-offending

You could move into a new area and get friendly with the people next door and one day leave your kids with your new neighbours while you go out and that man/woman ends up fiddling with them. If you had done a check first and that person was on the SOR you could of prevented ruin a child's life.

It would be useful for many things such as checking out baby sitters, people who reside in your local community, check to see if there is any beasts near schools or nursery's etc.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    i'm not reading the whole thread because i rekon it would be very triggering.
    but i just want to say:
    :mad:
    how the hell can that question even be asked?
    try being on the recieving end and then try and justify that paedos are not evil.
    of course they are fucking evil.
    even if its done in the most seductive way, they wreck their victims lives forever.
    end of.

I can honestly empathise with your gut reaction. But with the toughest of subjects often come the most interesting insights, and no one is disputing the terrible nature of a paedophile's inclinations. That said, it's such an emotive subject I can imagine why you don't want to read such opinions. That's fair enough.

However, I guess what is up for discussion and debate are the factors that possibly contribute to a person having those inclinations. That does include "what we think of them" and all the inherent questions that come with sharing those thoughts. Whether some people believe they are born with those desires, and some others believe the way they are is sometimes [also or entirely] a result of things that have happened in their life.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    I think people have no place calling each other fools because they are saying something they disagree with. This has been an interesting thread and isn't going to be helped by descending into insults that have no value.

I can't win with you Jim can I! However you make some valid points, as have other contributors that I may not entirely agree with on other points.I have already said I recognise the difficult nature of the subject.I think the most valid point made recently is the level of abuse that takes place within the family.The paedophile we have been taught to fear is the 'bogeyman' hanging around the swingpark,when the real 'bogeyman' is usually much closer to home unfortunately.I think another contributory factor is the breakup of families,and a succession of 'new dads' being brought into childrens lives.I know that some of the most appalling cases of violence against children that i have read about have been committed by 'stepdads'.I am not so sure about the level of sexual abuse in such circumstances,but i'm sure someone may be able to quote statistics.I have tried in this debate to keep to the middle ground between ''cut their balls off'' and ''lets sit down and try to understand them'' ,whilst trying to be true to my own views.Not easy! Thoughts please.
  • Options
    Are Peadophiles evil?

No one can answer that.
    Are murderers evil?

If someone sexually abuses a child, firstly they are a criminal and need to be tried for the offence and locked up for a number of years. When they get into prison then it should be investigated why they have commited that crime and possibly help them if they can be helped.

We can't be reactive though.
    The real question is how can we protect our children better from any sort of abuse including sexual abuse.
    How many times do you see a mum in a supermarket smacking a kid and shouting at them? Is that abuse? I bet you the kid will remember it.

If we were more proactive in protecting kids, we wouldn't spend so much time labelling and judging.
  • Options
    You could move into a new area and get friendly with the people next door and one day leave your kids with your new neighbours while you go out and that man/woman ends up fiddling with them. If you had done a check first and that person was on the SOR you could of prevented ruin a child's life.

It would be useful for many things such as checking out baby sitters, people who reside in your local community, check to see if there is any beasts near schools or nursery's etc.

the other 'problem' in this country is that our education system means that almost every area has a school nearby, so unless you want them carted off into the middle of nowhere, or milton keynes your kind of stuck

if you aren't going to lock them up indefinetly, you release them when they're longer a threat - isolating them makes them more likely to reoffend than if you

frankly the public in this country can't be trusted with such delicate information, remember what happened last time a tabloid published the names of released paedophiles :rolleyes:

also in this country, virtually every released paedophile williningly tells police and probation people when they move - in america it's only like 80% as opposed to 97% here, this has been attributed to their publishing of paedophiles names/addresses

and if you're really that concerned , you would be pushing for more help for abused children, so they don't become inable to form adult relationships in the future and you'd focus less on the 'stranger danger' and on catching people who abuse members of their family and family friends
  • Options
    On another forum I go there is a special PC there who spoke about peadophiles once. They said that in the majority of situations it's an addiction, and they don't see it as wrong necessarily. They don't go out to hurt children, they just think it's normal in their mind.

To me this doesn't sound like the mind of a sane person. So I think they should be offered treatment.

Very interesting indeed. Kind of goes to reinforce my point that the vast majority are not 'evil creatures' or 'sub-human scum' and should be helped as their perception of what they're doing seems perfectly right to them. Sadly I guess perception and point of view and what we ourselved perceive to be right and things like that won't hold up in court.
  • Options
    That's where the problem comes in your arguement - you seem to be implying that it's a bad thing that a court wouldn't take into account that it's right to them. That seems to imply you're ignoring the terrible and possibily life destroying affect that child abuse can have - they could have ended someone's future life and relationships and you think it's a shame that the courts don't just treat it as someone just behaving naturally.

After all if a serial killer is driven to kill a large group of people, are the courts supposed to give them a lesser sentence than they would to someone who killed someone accidentally?
  • Options
    No that's not what I'm saying at all. All I'm saying is that for them, they're not doing it out of some milicious desire to inflict pain but simply because they don't see anything wrong with it. I'm not trying to deny the possible damage on someone's life that said actions may have but that's not a reason to completely rule out the fact that they might not be fully aware of what they're doing. Perhaps the courts should take into effect thó altered mental state of the perpetrator if indeed it is determined that they were either not fully aware of what they were doing or fully aware of the consequences of their actions.
  • Options
    perhaps we should genetically modify pigs to look like children and give it to peados as designer pets. or vice versa. whichever is easier.
  • Options
    I think paedophilia is just as "evil" as homosexuality etc.
    I'm sorry, I just read that and can't let it slide, it's a deeply offensive comparison please don't make it!

(Apologies if this has already been discussed, I'm supposed to be working so haven't waded through all 7 pages.)

ETA: I now have read all 7 pages (procrastination is an art form) and the link is constantly repeated. I do understand the point that's being made but I'd appreciate it if it weren't done that way.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    I'm sorry, I just read that and can't let it slide, it's a deeply offensive comparison please don't make it!

(Apologies if this has already been discussed, I'm supposed to be working so haven't waded through all 7 pages.)

ETA: I now have read all 7 pages (procrastination is an art form) and the link is constantly repeated. I do understand the point that's being made but I'd appreciate it if it weren't done that way.
    I said that in the sense of "It's a sexual desire that's different than what is considered the "norm" "; the difference is one is acceptable, while the other isn't. Absolutely no offense meant at all. :)
  • Options
    Iron Nic wrote:
    perhaps we should genetically modify pigs to look like children and give it to peados as designer pets. or vice versa. whichever is easier.
    :thumb: