Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

McDonalds See The Light?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the site relationship of the year!:love:
    Strictly in the professional sense, you understand. ;)
  • Options
    looks like you agree with me then but in a more long winded way.
    :lol:

McDonald's is a business, out to make profit. If you read through the original posted link, they are saying that if they want to remain in business for the long term, and therefore to make profit in the long term, they need to adjust their practises such that they are sustainable.

If you think the average corner shop owner or independent restaurant is doing more than Maccy D's to save the world then you are deluding yourself.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    :lol:

McDonald's is a business, out to make profit. If you read through the original posted link, they are saying that if they want to remain in business for the long term, and therefore to make profit in the long term, they need to adjust their practises such that they are sustainable.

If you think the average corner shop owner or independent restaurant is doing more than Maccy D's to save the world then you are deluding yourself.
    Nope... But look at things on the level of eco-footprints. If you dine at say... A vegetarian locally sourced resteraunt... Or any locally sourced resteraunt then your eco-footprint will be smaller (obviously other things are taken in to account).

At the end of the day the meat industry cannot be entirely environmentally friendly as farming cattle creates a lot of waste, the animals have to be transported to slaughterhouses and they need a lot of food and water.

I don't see how being sustainable could work for McDonalds, not without exploiting anything else. Maybe they could switch their cleaning products to ecoer or something... But as far as meat is concerned, sorry... But fast food is far from environmentally friendly.

But you are right with smaller businesses. Larger businesses blatantly have a greater potential to make changes to the world because they are the ones already destroying it.
  • Options
    Nope... But look at things on the level of eco-footprints. If you dine at say... A vegetarian locally sourced resteraunt... Or any locally sourced resteraunt then your eco-footprint will be smaller (obviously other things are taken in to account).
    I eat meat so I wouldn't consider this, but I take the point - that it requires effort from the consumer to ensure that the products he buys and the services he uses are to his environmental standards.
    But you are right with smaller businesses. Larger businesses blatantly have a greater potential to make changes to the world because they are the ones already destroying it.
    But this is where you are wrong. They may make a bigger impact if you consider the big business as a single entity - but they are not solely to blame because they are doing nothing worse than independent businesses. 1,000 franchised McDonalds aren't worse than 1,000 local cafes.
  • Options
    Why I'm doing this when I'm just gonna get super-slated, I do not know, but meh.

For the record:

McDonald's burgers are 100% beef. All our products are from British free-range farmers. Yes, it's unhealthy, but there is a healthy option (no, it really is), and if people would rather have their Bigger Big Mac with large fries and a chocolate shake, then that's their problem. It makes us money therefore we sell it OMGZ WE WANT TO MAKE MONEY IT'S A CRIME. I don't get why everyone's all so "it's a PR stunt, they want to make more money". So? If it was a company everyone approved of, you wouldn't be saying it, would you? So McDonald's want to make money, so does everyone.

And Sel, love, please don't say you want them to go under, I need money :(.

I can't believe I just defended McDonald's...
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    Well, you're not going to bite the hands that feeds you, are you? ;)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    But this is where you are wrong. They may make a bigger impact if you consider the big business as a single entity - but they are not solely to blame because they are doing nothing worse than independent businesses. 1,000 franchised McDonalds aren't worse than 1,000 local cafes.
    Ok, I thought you were talking on the level of McDonalds as a big busness anyway.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Well, you're not going to bite the hands that feeds you, are you? ;)
    To be fair, when I first worked there I was under the same impression you lot are. That we're shit and only care about ourselves and stuff. But actually they care a LOT about the customer, there's a GapBuster (Mystery Shopper type thing) that comes in once a month and if we do shit, then everyone gets pissed off. We lose marks for not smiling and saying hello and stuff. The food is always relatively fresh, everything is marked with the date and time of when it was put in the fridges etc, nothing stays in the production bin (I can't think of another word, but it's the bit where all the food sits) for longer than about half an hour max, when it's quiet they don't cook anything, so that when someone orders, it's actually freshish.

We aren't pure evil, honest.

(And tbf, I only get £4.25 an hour with no overtime pay because our franchisee decided that she wants lots more money, and she also charges 20p extra for limited edition McFlurry's, and 10p more for double cheeseburgers...)
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    Why I'm doing this when I'm just gonna get super-slated, I do not know, but meh.

For the record:

McDonald's burgers are 100% beef. All our products are from British free-range farmers. Yes, it's unhealthy, but there is a healthy option (no, it really is), and if people would rather have their Bigger Big Mac with large fries and a chocolate shake, then that's their problem. It makes us money therefore we sell it OMGZ WE WANT TO MAKE MONEY IT'S A CRIME. I don't get why everyone's all so "it's a PR stunt, they want to make more money". So? If it was a company everyone approved of, you wouldn't be saying it, would you? So McDonald's want to make money, so does everyone.

And Sel, love, please don't say you want them to go under, I need money :(.

Never knew that McDonalds cows are free-range, are their chickens and pigs free-range too?

And making money is not a crime... But the way they go about it can be, unless you're willing to say the same thing about Coca Cola killing off Trade Union workers, Nestle telling mothers to bottlefeed when water sources are not safe, Disney's sweatshops or L'Oreal's cosmetic testing.

But wait... they all only want to make money too, right?
  • Options
    And making money is not a crime... But the way they go about it can be, unless you're willing to say the same thing about Coca Cola killing off Trade Union workers, Nestle telling mothers to bottlefeed when water sources are not safe, Disney's sweatshops or L'Oreal's cosmetic testing.
    Since this thread is about McDonalds 'seeing the light', do you think those ageing examples are relevant?
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    To be fair, when I first worked there I was under the same impression you lot are. That we're shit and only care about ourselves and stuff. But actually they care a LOT about the customer, there's a GapBuster (Mystery Shopper type thing) that comes in once a month and if we do shit, then everyone gets pissed off. We lose marks for not smiling and saying hello and stuff. The food is always relatively fresh, everything is marked with the date and time of when it was put in the fridges etc, nothing stays in the production bin (I can't think of another word, but it's the bit where all the food sits) for longer than about half an hour max, when it's quiet they don't cook anything, so that when someone orders, it's actually freshish.

We aren't pure evil, honest.

(And tbf, I only get £4.25 an hour with no overtime pay because our franchisee decided that she wants lots more money, and she also charges 20p extra for limited edition McFlurry's, and 10p more for double cheeseburgers...)

Btw... I used to work in Burger King and it is nothing to do with "we". As an employee for a company like that, it is whatever "they" on top tell us to do for our money (I was on £3.90 at the time). Their ethical code have nothing to do with the people who serve customers, nothing at all.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Since this thread is about McDonalds 'seeing the light', do you think those ageing examples are relevant?
    Nope, but I was using those examples of behaviour that is seen as amoral to back up the notion that "they just want to make money" isn't an excusable arguement if the methods used to get the money aren't ethical (ethics are personal of course, but those companies have been heavily criticised).
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    To be fair, when I first worked there I was under the same impression you lot are. That we're shit and only care about ourselves and stuff. But actually they care a LOT about the customer, there's a GapBuster that comes in once a month and if we do shit, then everyone gets pissed off. We lose marks for not smiling and saying hello and stuff.
    The "GapBuster" concept is nothing new. We get that where I work as well. A random customer who comes in with a series of questions, and that must be answered, who also expects good, punctual service from the staff. It's almost certainly commonplace throughout retailing.

As for losing marks about not smiling, saying hello and the like, were such tests widespread, most of the retail industry's staff would be out of their jobs!
    The food is always relatively fresh, everything is marked with the date and time of when it was put in the fridges etc, nothing stays in the production bin for longer than about half an hour max, when it's quiet they don't cook anything, so that when someone orders, it's actually freshish.
    This is a bizarre defence, to say the least. Everything is marked with the date and time of production, of when it was refrigerated, of when it was cooked, of use by dates? Every sector in the retail industry that sells food has to do this - whether it be a small shop bakery or a huge company like McDonalds. If they don't do this, they'd be shut down by those bastards at trading standards.
  • Options
    ethics are personal of course
    Well quite. Yours might be to not eat meat or not own a car. Mine might be to support the rural economy and drive housebound old ladies to luncheon clubs.

Anyway, if you've read the McDonalds link, you'll know that this isn't about ethics at all. It's about sustainable business.
    but those companies have been heavily criticised
    Why do you think that is?
  • Options
    Never knew that McDonalds cows are free-range, are their chickens and pigs free-range too?

According to the poster on the wall in the crew room, yes. Shows you where everything comes from, what comes from where etc. Local farmers etcetcetc.

But wait... they all only want to make money too, right?

I don't agree with the methods, but everyone was saying how this whole reducing emissions thing (which is good, surely) was just a publicity stunt, which was what I was getting at.

And also, for the record, at the Maccy's I work at, there is a lot of emphasis put on team work and that we're just as important as the big people up top. Hence GapBuster.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    As for losing marks about not smiling, saying hello and the like, were such tests widespread, most of the retail industry's staff would be out of their jobs!
    Eeeeeeeeeeexactly.

It's why they put me on drive-thru when I'm having a bad day...
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    And also, for the record, at the Maccy's I work at, there is a lot of emphasis put on team work and that we're just as important as the big people up top. Hence GapBuster.
    Do you really believe that? My boss tried to get me to swallow that line before. I just laughed in his face. "Just as important as the big people up top"? You've swallowed the McDonalds managerial bait hook, line and sinker. :p
    Franki wrote:
    Eeeeeeeeeeexactly.
    It's why they put me on drive-thru when I'm having a bad day...
    There's always room for manners, that's what I believe. When I ask a customer for money, it's always "that's three pounds and a penny, please" and "thank you" when they hand over the money. Good manners can reallly make them happy!
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    According to the poster on the wall in the crew room, yes. Shows you where everything comes from, what comes from where etc. Local farmers etcetcetc.

I don't agree with the methods, but everyone was saying how this whole reducing emissions thing (which is good, surely) was just a publicity stunt, which was what I was getting at.

I see... I think it's in America, but people in McDonalds aren't allowed to join trade unions...

Still won't believe that their animals (especially chickens) are free-range until I see the farm with my own eyes. Just because something says 'free-range' also doesn't mean that they are treated well and laws on that can be slack (although theUK is better than America for animal rights). It does not mean that they won't be pumped full of drugs, or have their beaks chopped off. Free range only means that they have daytime access to open air runs and this isn't for all of their life, only part of it. Beef cattle are not treated quite as badly.

I know I'm arguing against the meat industry, personally I have no issues with meat-eaters, but I don't trust McDonalds to be upholding good animal rights and still hold true to the arguement that a company that makes beefburgers cannot be environmentally friendly.

There is more to consider than just carbon emissions.
  • Options
    at last!
    grass fed free fucking range beef pisses meoff all these misconceptions the jump on the latest trendy bandwaggon lot are always jumping on. ...thankyou mcdonnies worker.
    supporting the local farmers reducing the fucking footprint ...informed customers obviously have an impact.
    more so than the misinformed.
  • Options
    I know I'm arguing against the meat industry, personally I have no issues with meat-eaters, but I don't trust McDonalds to be upholding good animal rights and still hold true to the arguement that a company that makes beefburgers cannot be environmentally friendly.

localy sourced beef ...grass fed ...from farming families who have to raise healthy animals or go bust ...what more do you want?
  • Options
    I think a company as big as McDonald's can afford to make sure that it's animals are looked after properly.

SG - I would say please and thank you regardless, not just because I'm at work. It pisses me right off when I take the time to get someone their fucking Big-Mac-No-Pickle-Extra-Cheese-Extra-Lettuce and they don't say thank you when I give it to them. But Maccy's are BIG on the whole saying hello and good bye and smiling thing. REALLY BIG.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    SG - I would say please and thank you regardless, not just because I'm at work. It pisses me right off when I take the time to get someone their fucking Big-Mac-No-Pickle-Extra-Cheese-Extra-Lettuce and they don't say thank you when I give it to them. But Maccy's are BIG on the whole saying hello and good bye and smiling thing. REALLY BIG.
    I don't doubt your manners personally, Franki. I agree with you on this one. As I don't serve food directly in my job, I can't really comment on what happens there, but some customers are ungrateful sods. It's people who want cigs that annoy me the most. They ask for cigs, I ask for the money, they give the money, I hand them over. Usually, they're too busy speaking into their mobile phone or coughing to say thanks. :p
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    If I'm doing my job some manners would be nice.

If I'm doing far and above my line of duty I expect a thanks. I'm seriously on the verge of just not trying it anymore.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I don't doubt your manners personally, Franki. I agree with you on this one. As I don't serve food directly in my job, I can't really comment on what happens there, but some customers are ungrateful sods. It's people who want cigs that annoy me the most. They ask for cigs, I ask for the money, they give the money, I hand them over. Usually, they're too busy speaking into their mobile phone or coughing to say thanks. :p
    I always say thank you when I buy my cigarettes ;(.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    I always say thank you when I buy my cigarettes ;(.
    I'd have asked you for ID out of spite. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'd have asked you for ID out of spite. :p
    And I'd have shown you a valid one. I got asked for ID two days ago, despite being able to buy cigarettes without it since I was 13. Tescos are good with their checking now.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    And I'd have shown you a valid one. I got asked for ID two days ago, despite being able to buy cigarettes without it since I was 13. Tescos are good with their checking now.
    You should see the refusals log at our shops - about half the entries are from me. I'm thinking of buying the rights to it and getting it published. I could fund university with the proceeds.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You should see the refusals log at our shops - about half the entries are from me. I'm thinking of buying the rights to it and getting it published. I could fund university with the proceeds.
    That's good though. It means you're doing your job right.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    That's good though. It means you're doing your job right.
    Given a choice between turning away customers or a financial penalty, I would have to opt for the first option every time. Yesterday at work, a bloke came in and wanted to buy a can of Guinness. I asked him for ID. He didn't have any, and he left quietly. Ten minutes later, someone else comes in. She was this young, tall, incredibly attractive woman with long blonde hair who came in to buy the same thing. Again, I asked for ID. Some women seem to think they can persuade me to sell them alcohol by gentle flirting. It doesn't work! :p
  • Options
    just thought i'd add ...i try my dmndest to never eat in macs ...sometimes on a long journey i have to though.
    reluctantly.