Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does anyone else...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Regret getting into a serious relationship when they were young?

My first serious relationship, i was 17. which to some is not that young but it lasted nearly 3 years and i feel like all those three years were wasted, it was a great age to be, i was finishing college and about to start uni

I could have enjoyed life alot more if i hadnt got into it. I feel like i missed out on a few years of self discovery

Ho hum! Nothing i can do about it now obviously, i think this is the reason im so keen to have fun these days and so distraught to not be a student any longer

Comments

• Options
    Yep same here, there is some relationship I shouldn't have jump into to quickly, cos of the self-discovery thingy as well... Been single only 6 months since I've been 14...
  • Options
    Yep same here, there is some relationship I shouldn't have jump into to quickly, cos of the self-discovery thingy as well... Been single only 6 months since I've been 14...

:eek:

Im glad i was a late bloomer actually. My first serious relationship was the first i could really classify as a "boyfriend" if im being realistic.

But i still feel really young (im 21 now) and vunerable when it comes to relationships.

Wish i could go back to being 17 and never have gone into that relationship :yes:
  • Options
    Well my first serious relationship was at 16 really, but otherwise 2 years before that was never single, wasnot into serious relationship, but well not on my own for self discovery either...
  • Options
    Well my first serious relationship was at 16 really, but otherwise 2 years before that was never single, wasnot into serious relationship, but well not on my own for self discovery either...

do you feel like you missed out on part of your childhood / teenage-hood ?

i feel like i missed out on my late teens.
  • Options
    My teens years were fucked, but I don't think it is because of my relationships tbh... I had way more to worry about... mental illness can take of your teens way more than any relationship could... But my first serious relationships sure didn't help...
  • Options
    My teens years were fucked, but I don't think it is because of my relationships tbh... I had way more to worry about... mental illness can take of your teens way more than any relationship could... But my first serious relationships sure didn't help...

:(

Well, just have to make the most of life now :) even if your in a relationship
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    :(

Well, just have to make the most of life now :) even if your in a relationship

I make the most of life now BECAUSE I am in a relationship :yes:
  • Options
    too fucking right... not in a bad way. to be honest my ex was the one. pity we werent a tad older
  • Options
    Nope I started datuing my bf when I was 16 and I'm secretly counting down to the wedding
  • Options
    I think some people are just better being with someone.
    I was in a LTR from the age of 16 to 19 and then within 3 months of that ending i was in another one which lasted even longer, although it really shouldnt have in hindsight, although it brought me to where I am today, which i wouldnt change for the world.
    Theres no point sitting there regretting your past for too long. Its not like your lifes about to be over and once youre in a relationship you cant discover yourself anymore.
    Ive learnt more about myself and started accepting myself better in this relationship than I have ever before, out of relationships or in them.
  • Options
    Most definitely. I had a three year on/off relationship that completely monopolised my thoughts, time and attention for those three years. I know I missed out on a lot in many aspects of my life because I was so fixated on that fella and "making it work" when in retrospect I should've just cut my losses and had a bit of fun. But then, hindsight is always 20/20 eh ;)

That said, there's no point in regretting it, I suppose it at least taught us that relationships aren't the be-all and end-all, and that it can be better to be out of a relationship in terms of living the rest of your life. Or something. At least we're still young and able to have fun and move on from it, even if it is hard to shake off the "what might have beens" and "if onlys"... :)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I suppose it at least taught us that relationships aren't the be-all and end-all, and that it can be better to be out of a relationship in terms of living the rest of your life. Or something. At least we're still young and able to have fun and move on from it, even if it is hard to shake off the "what might have beens" and "if onlys"... :)

Completely agree. Im really enjoying eing single at the moment, probably for the first time, because i realise ive got plenty of time for men when im older

Although, sods law is when im happy being single, mr perfect comes along :impissed:
  • Options
    you didn't necessarily miss out by being in a serious relationship when you were younger. if you hadn't of wanted to be in a relationship, you no doubt would've ended it. you're still only young now so don't worry.

i'm the opposite, i only had my first boyfriend when i was 19 (and a half!) and even though i said what i said above, i'm glad 'cause my attitude to relationships is when i get married i'm gonna (hopefully) be with the same person for the rest of my life so..
  • Options
    i'm in one now, i sometimes wonder if i'll regret it if we split up but i don't see why i should
  • Options
    Blairx0 wrote:
    Nope I started datuing my bf when I was 16 and I'm secretly counting down to the wedding
    aw, how long have you been together?
  • Options
    Not that long a year and 7 mths. Burt it is really wonderful we were friends for 6 mths be4 gettin together and it is truly everything I always wanted- now how over used is that phrase
  • Options
    I wish I hadn't had a LTR so early. I was 17 when I met my ex and we were together for 2 and a half years... at the time I thought it was the bee knees, now I look back and think how differently I would have done it.

But, like briggi said, it's not worth regretting, you just get on with it.
  • Options
    then again, my mums friend has been with her husband since she was about 16, got married at 19 and been married 24 years this year!
  • Options
    where's the appeal in that?! ;)
  • Options
    where's the appeal in that?! ;)
    hehe i hope it'll be the same for me....only not getting married that early
  • Options
    my dads parents were married 60 years and my mums parents 52 or something (my parents are divorced) which i think is lovely as you don't get that kinda thing very often anymore. however i wouldn't like to think i was with the same person from such a young age.
  • Options
    I wish that i ended my first LTR in hindsight, missed out on alot during college due to being fixated on a girl - but at least i know i've learnt my lesson. Quite happy with my gf, very happy with her but then again i live my own life aswell - though sometimes you wonder how things may of panned out differently if i didn't go straight into LTR etc
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    then again, my mums friend has been with her husband since she was about 16, got married at 19 and been married 24 years this year!

:eek: and I thought it was bad enough that my mum had been with my dad for 21 years (which is half of her life!) and married for 19 years...
  • Options
    Definitely. Started going out with someone when I was sixteen and moved in with his family then at seventeen went the whole hog and got a flat with him.

Two words can sum up my experience... : OH DEAR

I lost my virginity to him and he actually told me when I experienced an orgasm. Controlling is not the word..

Plenty of friends still like to remind me now how I apparently 'ditched' them two years ago despite me explaining he practically locked me in the flat. BLARGH.
  • Options
    I do.

I got into a serious relationship with my ex at 17 and I split up with him just before I was 20. He controlled me for 3 years. I lost alot of friends because of him. I missed out on so much in my first year of uni because I was so obsessed with our relationship. As harsh as this sounds, I wish I never met him. He made me miserable for years.

I had a serious'ish relationship before him and was with a guy for a year.

I wish I hadn't had any of these serious relationships to be honest, I do feel as though I've missed out on the fun of being a teenager.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    :eek: and I thought it was bad enough that my mum had been with my dad for 21 years (which is half of her life!) and married for 19 years...
    my parents got together at 15 and are still happily together at 59 :)
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    my parents got together at 15 and are still happily together at 59 :)

Awww :D

I don't think it matters whether you experience "love" young or old. Its a matter of if it works or not. As some have shown you can have life lasting love starting at a young age, or not till your old. Its all about chemistry ;)

Experience in love is experience, whether it be young or not. It works or it doesn't.
  • Options
    I am 16 and really want to be in a relationship and thats getting me down. I think im one of those people who is better when thyre with someone. But sometimes i think about what an idiot i am for being down about being single and to enjoy it ........... i think im just a bit confused tbh lol
  • Options
    I've just come out of a ltr relationship, I'm feeling a bit down atm. Not just due to this but other things.
  • Options
    I just tend to take what life gives me. I'm another one that doesn't seem to be out of a relationship for long. Remembering when I was single though, I seem to mostly remember being happy, and remembering when I was with someone, there was always so many complications.

Dont think Id have changed it though, it was just who I was. I live/d for the safety + security + intimacy of a long term relationship rather than the excitement + the fun of being single and free. I'm too much a wimp heh