Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Are We Scotland In Disguise?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
75 minutes in, and we suck.

I know it's not easy to play aginst 11 defender, but [expletive deleted]

As for Crouch's miss... :impissed:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    2-0, did anyone else notice the determination after Rooney came on.... makes all the difference!
  • Options
    Lennon changed things up for you waaay more than Rooney did IMO.
  • Options
    Rooney did fuck all.
  • Options
    Crouch was also very lucky his goal wasn't disallowed.
  • Options
    Ah, where to begin.

Have to be honest, I fell asleep during the first half and woke up with about half an hour to go. England have probably played in the worst two games of the tournament so far, so if they won the thing then I think football would be the loser IMO.

Toiled for the majority of the match against a team that included a Falkirk reserve and one of the central defenders who got Dundee relegated. I really would like to see how they'd have coped had they been in a group of death.

ITV seem to think that any second round game aginst Ecuador would be as straightforward as it comes, I'd tend to disagree somewhat. I'd probably go as far to say that Germany and Ecuador will both be trying to lose next week so they get the chance to play England.

Complete and utter media hype.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Ah, where to begin.

Have to be honest, I fell asleep during the first half and woke up with about half an hour to go. England have probably played in the worst two games of the tournament so far, so if they won the thing then I think football would be the loser IMO.

Toiled for the majority of the match against a team that included a Falkirk reserve and one of the central defenders who got Dundee relegated. I really would like to see how they'd have coped had they been in a group of death.

ITV seem to think that any second round game aginst Ecuador would be as straightforward as it comes, I'd tend to disagree somewhat. I'd probably go as far to say that Germany and Ecuador will both be trying to lose next week so they get the chance to play England.

Complete and utter media hype.

The boy speaks the truth.

If England carry on playing like they did today will not get beyond the next round. It was a completely uninspiring match. They were very lucky.
  • Options
    BBC makes me laugh, they keep playing the snippet of cheering from the OWN GOAL against Paraguay the other day when advertising their coverage of the matches, and saying how wonderful England is. It was an OWN GOAL for goodness sake. They played shockingly, today I'm sure people were only cheering out of sheer relief, rather than being proud and impressed by the team.

Costa Rica to win
  • Options
    I take it back, we're not Scotland in disguise.

We're in the second round.

Again.
  • Options

Again.

Which part of my post did you disagree with? What would your come back have been if the same post had been made by a Brazillian or an Argie?

Can't wait to hear this.

Or you can bury your head in the sand and start hollering that you've a better national team than countries a fraction of your size if you like.
  • Options

Again.

Keep playing like this and we'll be going out in the second round.

Again

;)
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Which part of my post did you disagree with? What would your come back have been if the same post had been made by a Brazillian or an Argie?

Can't wait to hear this.

Or you can bury your head in the sand and start hollering that you've a better national team than countries a fraction of your size if you like.

No point biting mate. They got through the usual English way, by the skin of their teeth.

It's just gonna make it all the sweeter when they got knocked out in the next round.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:

Yep because my the original thread was comparing our standards to that of Scotland. TBH After the game, I'd already decided to post that comment but thatwas the first time I'd been back on line since I started the thread.

I don't disagree that we performed in a pretty dull way - hence the OP. I was still doing a disservice to the team though because, ultimately, it's the result which matters and not the performance.

Did we play like world beaters? Probably not. But we won, we can play like shite for another 5 games for all I care, provided we win each one.

Chip.

Shoulder.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Keep playing like this and we'll be going out in the second round.

Again

;)

I like the "again" comment. Can you remember the last time that happened?
  • Options
    You're not very good...

:p
  • Options
    england were pretty shite tbh, and what's more those commentators from itv piss me off, wanking one off over rooney again i wish they'd shut up and just let him play......lennon was good though never really seen him play before, boy's got pace.......and at least we dont have to rely on a result against sweden ay.
  • Options
    Chip.

Shoulder.

Fuck off mate, I've said umpteen times that this time I'm neither supporting England nor supporting the team that plays them. I don't doubt some of us have chips on our shoulder, but I don't see myself as one of them because as I've said I'm not really arsed.

The way I see it, I'm from neither Trinidad nor Tobago, so why the fuck would I support them? Please don't flatter yourselves that I care about your team anymore than I care about any other team.

I've honestly not once thought about Scotland during the whole thing, other than how amazing it'd have been to be there as a fan. I'm a heart on the sleeve Scotsman, fuck yes I'd have loved us to be there, but we aren't. To be honest, I'd sure as hell be embarrased if we were there and didn't manage to qualify from that group.

Again, it was you who rather bizzarely started on about Scotland. All I'm saying is you might want to think about why your team played so badly, rather than point out the percieved deficiencies of smaller nations.

I'll give you your due though, I think you've acheived the goal of getting a rise...
    I like the "again" comment. Can you remember the last time that happened?

Euro 2004.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Euro 2004.
    Technically the quarters though.;)

I'm more gutted that Sweden won to be honest. I was hoping we would be guarenteed group winners today so I'd know exactly which matches we'd be playing in all the way to the final and I could book them off work (not that we'll get to the final playing like that).
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Fuck off mate

:p
    It was you who rather bizzarely started on about Scotland.

Not heard the chant then? It was with my tongue very much planted in my cheek.

I actually laughed when the Irish fans chanted it in Belfast (through my tears, obviously).
    Euro 2004.

Not a World Cup though, which is the tournament in question here...
    Aladdin wrote:
    You're not very good...

Aye, your lot had a good game.

Of course, it helps being given a rather "dubious" penalty. I loko forward to Torres joining United so that Kermit can have a fit about us getting more of the same...

wrote:
    what's more those commentators from itv piss me off, wanking one off over rooney again i wish they'd shut up and just let him play

Couldn't agree more. The Great White Hope is just a kid, let him play his own game and stop the hype.
  • Options
    Not a World Cup though, which is the tournament in question here...

France 98 then.

Point is, the minute you come up against a decent team in the knockout where you have to win, almost without exception, it's cheerio :wave:
  • Options
    Thinking about it, when was the last time England beat a really good team in the knockout phase?

Yes, I do realise the irony of that statement...

Spain in 96 at a push. Goes back before Italia 90 then, in which case I've no idea.
  • Options
    Bugger, it was too... I'd forgotten that, thought it was the 1/4s

Spain 96 weren't that good either TBH, even in '90 it was Belgium and Cameroon...

Do us a favour Bri.

Fuck off, you're depressing me now.
  • Options
    Aim to please ;)
  • Options
    Let me ask you, out of the 32, how many teams played really well so far?

Spain, Argentina and the Czechs!!
    3 out of 32.
    Does that mean anything?

FUCK all!

All I can say is Liverpool 2 T&T 0 :D:D

Anyway, 3 quality games in prospect tomorrow!! Awesome.
  • Options
    Did we play like world beaters? Probably not. But we won, we can play like shite for another 5 games for all I care, provided we win each one.
    :thumb: I'd take 5 more shite performances and 5 wins to tell you the truth. If we did win it I'd rather we won in style but I wouldn't argue if we didn't.

Absolute shite last night, some of them looked like they'd never passed a fucking ball in their life. But to be fair to England we did create quite a few clear cut chances that we failed to put in the back of the net. Owen could have had at least 1, Crouch at least 1 more, Lampard a couple.

We need to perform better but at this stage 3 points really is the main aim and we achieved that.
  • Options
    Define "really good team".

England have always been knocked out by the eventual finalists, often the eventual winners.

And whilst England didn't beat Spain in 1996, they didn't lose to Germany or Portugal either.

As for the game, I think people are doing a great disservice to Trinidad. They played very very well, and defended well, and they obviously aren't mugs because Sweden found it hard going against them too- and that was with 10 men.

i think England fans don't have any grasp of reality. Scotland fans just don't know anything about football (not surprising since they haven't seen any in 20 years). In cup football the only thing that counts is the result, the performance is an added bonus. England have played 2 and won 2, that is all you need. It's what teams like Germany and Italy have built their success on, and Brazil know how to grind out a result too.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Scotland fans just don't know anything about football

Coming from the guy who said Eboue didn't dive in the CL Final...
  • Options

Don't even get started on what Kermit doesn't know about football.

He once tried to say that Arsenal would be the greatest beneficiaries of a proposed Uefa rule stating that teams must have a minimum of 8 homegrown players. Ashley Cole counts as 8 people apparently. :lol:

That's not even the worst of it.
  • Options

I didn't think he did, but it blatantly wasn't a free kick. Just like I said before :banghead:

I thought he'd slipped, but there you go.

And it depends what you mean by "homegrown", doesn't it. Arsenal's kids have come through their system but they're not English- just like Man Utd's collection of Yanks, eh?

Addict only thinks I don't know anything because I slag off the cheating scum from Salford.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And it depends what you mean by "homegrown", doesn't it. Arsenal's kids have come through their system but they're not English- just like Man Utd's collection of Yanks, eh?

Stop being thick. I don't know how you define homegrown but Arsenal have bought in all their team, except Ashley Cole. Do you define young foreign players who are bought in as homegrown? Nice one, I suppose we can say Ronaldo and Park Ji Sung are homegrown now. Should make the Uefa rule a bit easier to overcome. :rolleyes:
    Addict only thinks I don't know anything because I slag off the cheating scum from Salford.

Nope, it's because you always talk shite. I'm not being entirely serious with that statement of course, but quite alot of what you say, at least in here, is fundamentally flawed.
  • Options
    I've forgot more than you lot know :p