Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are We Scotland In Disguise?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Addict wrote:
    Stop being thick. I don't know how you define homegrown but Arsenal have bought in all their team, except Ashley Cole. Do you define young foreign players who are bought in as homegrown?

Man Utd fans seem to, if you believe all the bollocks spoken about good English lads like Rossi and Spector.

If you sign them before they can sign professional forms then they are "home grown".
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Man Utd fans seem to, if you believe all the bollocks spoken about good English lads like Rossi and Spector.

What?

Homegrown doesn't have to mean English, why should it, all that's English about the club is the geography. Homegrown is just a term for a player who comes through the youth system or academy. As it happens, alot of the youth players tend to be local, but certainly not all. Man Utd do enough scouting in Northern Ireland at the youth tournaments like the Milk Cup for me to know this. I know a few people who have gone to trials at United aged 13/14. If one of them made it through the academy, they'd be 'homegrown' players. Or do you think all homegrown players have to be English? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    What on earth is your point then?

Half of Arsenal's kids came through their academy, at least in part. Many man Utd fans I know consider Rossi to be homegrown, for instance, but then slag off fabregas as a buy.

Remind me where Rossi came from? It was Parma wasn't it?
  • Options
    The Man Utd fans you know are thick then.

Most fans I know, who actually know a thing or too, wouldn't see Rossi as homegrown. He was indeed brought in from Parma. He played for the RESERVES, he didn't come through the youth system, big difference.