Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

pictures of iran.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Apologies Jim, I was busy writing that post while you had already posted. Having seen it I shall attempt to tone down my frustration at Dis' nonsense.
  • Options
    Sorry Jim, a cheap and childish shot to take at Clan I realise.

I do not expect to change your mind Clan as I am sure you do not expect to sway me. But your characterisation of me as some kind of diehard Zionist is untrue. Like most ordinary, decent Israelis, and I'd like to think most Palestinians too I support peace. From the great people in the region I know they deserve peace and I really hope they find it.

Like a lot of people I believe in order to achieve peace the Israelis must withdraw from ideally the entire West Bank (although I accept Israel's right to secure borders make a 97 or 98% withdrawal a more realistic goal). I also believe the Palestinians must disarm their terrorist groups; Islamic Jihad needs to disarm and Hamas – well despite their acts of terrorism if they're willing to renounce terrorism, recognise Israel and embrace peaceful negotiation then the Israelis have to work with them. The absence of a Palestinian state is I think a tragedy, it should have happened in 1937 or 1947/8. It's catastrophic that it hasn’t happened since then and all sides share the blame; the surrounding Arab states as well as the Israelis and Palestinians themselves. I can't see things in black and white Clan. I don't blindly support or hate one side like yourself. Unlike yourself and the Iranian president I support Israel's right to exist. I don't see what's so extreme and ideological about wanting two states and peaceful coexistence.

You can call it what you like but I support the State of Israel and don't see anything so wrong in a tiny democratic segment in the Middle East existing. Holocaust survivors, exiled Arab Jews, oppressed Soviet Jews, Christians and Muslims have made Israel their home and despite its problems its prospered. I support the Palestinians too and I really hope a Palestinian state materialises. I hope one day you see Israel for yourself and meet some Israelis. Israel isn't perfect, I've never said it is but it's hurtful and inaccurate for it to be portrayed as the devil incarnate. The many Israeli achievements, the existence within Israel itself of Jews, Muslims and Christians living together in relative peace enjoying free speech, freedom to worship, etc is rare in the Middle East and should be treasured.

Regardless, you hate the existence of the Jewish state but can you accept its existence? Israel isn't disappearing. Get into reality Clan and maybe say something constructive.

And my hatred for Muslims and all? Whatever. That’s why I was condemning the Iranian president for his persecution of Sunni Muslims, etc.

Why won't you condemn the Iranian president for his hatred of Jews? Why can't you bring yourself to condemn anti-Semitism? Okay, forget it - I don't want to argue over the word. We'll say hatred of Jews. Do you condemn the Iranian president for hating Jews? For inciting hatred against Jews? For denying the Holocaust? For calling for a 'real' Middle Eastern holocaust? It's just depressingly Clan I've never heard you once condemn this stuff. You just argue over the word.

Over twenty years on a Bob Dylan song still sums it up in so many ways I feel...
  • Options
    That's all well and good dis, but it's the manner in which the Israeli State was created, the forceful displacing of the people who lived there and their continual treatment of these people is what annoys us the most.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The KKK doesn't really exist any more. It's got a few thousand members at most, many aren't active and apart from the odd march they're just a few loons confined mainly to the internet it seems.

They do... it's just hte mainstream acceptanble public face is called the NRA.

And Renzo... nice avatar!

Honestly. Iran... is no threat. Rembmer how we were told Iraq was a threat and it turned out to be as threatening as a turd sandwich?
  • Options
    Not only is it ridiculous to compare the NRA to the KKK it also really insults the many people who struggled in the civil rights movement against the actual KKK during its heights. They weren't fighting an organisation that was pro-guns or right wing, they faced death and were killed in that fight.

It doesn't do any good to be so dismissive of the real historical facts about some organisations, and whilst the NRA may certainly contain some members who are racist, I'm hard pressed to remember them carrying out lynching and outright murder - and I'm sure the non-white members of the NRA would feel both insulted and horrified by the implications that they are racists and members of the Klu Klux Klan.
  • Options
    iran86ev.jpg
    Who else wants to slide down that?

Looks quite nice. I imagine holidays are quite cheap there too.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Jim V wrote:
    Not only is it ridiculous to compare the NRA to the KKK it also really insults the many people who struggled in the civil rights movement against the actual KKK during its heights. They weren't fighting an organisation that was pro-guns or right wing, they faced death and were killed in that fight.

It doesn't do any good to be so dismissive of the real historical facts about some organisations, and whilst the NRA may certainly contain some members who are racist, I'm hard pressed to remember them carrying out lynching and outright murder - and I'm sure the non-white members of the NRA would feel both insulted and horrified by the implications that they are racists and members of the Klu Klux Klan.

It was a joke reference from the a TV show I can't remember. I should probably state this sortof thing in my post infuture to calrify.

And as for sliding down the building... stop watching certain Kung Fu movies. Although, that was an awesome film.

Back on Issue though... I feel Israel should give back lal the terroritory it occupied after it's creation, and is still illegally occupying. I think this would go a long way to help peace in the Mid-East. Whislt it wouldn't satisfy all the people (Including the Iranian Govt.), it would probably help a great deal in Legitimizing anything the Israelis say. Even so, they'd probably satill make mad claims and bomb civilians... it's about time they got a decent Govt.
This discussion has been closed.