Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gloucestershire/Leeds

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey people,
I know there is a fair few of you from/currently living in the above places. I'm going on a trip with a friend who is visiting from America next week and I thought it would be good to give him a broader impression of the country rather than just London.

So I went to Uni in Cheltenham, but never really did the whole 'tourist' thing - and I wondered whether anyone could recommend anywhere? I've obviously looked on websites and have a few ideas, but it would be good to get some personal opinion. I'm gonna try and catch the end of the science festival - I'm geeky like that :p

And Leeds - tbh I really am pretty clueless about this one - we're gonna kip down on a mates floor, so she'll give us some ideas, but would be good to arrive with some ideas.

Cheers :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    York has lots of stuff to do, eg the Minster, the Dungeons and the Wheel of Doom (York Eye) and there is a Bavarian Beer festival and German market going on at the moment. It's not far from Leeds. Lots of shops and places to eat as well.
  • Options
    York has lots of stuff to do, eg the Minster, the Dungeons and the Wheel of Doom (York Eye) and there is a Bavarian Beer festival and German market going on at the moment. It's not far from Leeds. Lots of shops and places to eat as well.

Cheers KHSS - I'm quite familiar with york actually as the friends we're visiting went to uni there. I've taken a different American friend to the dungeons and the Minster - they're awesome :yes:
  • Options
    Just to add - I'm not biased or anything. Honest! :p

Oh and the Wheel is only there for 3 years so if your friend isn't going to be coming back for a while it might be good.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    From a touristy point of view KHSS is probably more accurate in saying York tourismwise is better than Leeds. York is 20-25 minutes on the train and it costs about £9.

In Leeds itself there is a bitch but not too much for tourists to be honest. Shopping in Leeds is (so the women say) excellent. Harvey Nicholls is on Briggate in the centre of town. The only real museum in the city centre is the Art Gallery - which is well worth a look, there is the medical museum about 10 minutes on the bus but thats crap to be honest and more aimed at kids. You could take a trip to Temple Newsam which is around 20 minutes from the town centre on the bus (No. 18 from Boar Lane). Leeds is close to amazing amounts of countryside, Skipton is close by which is a large countryside town, with a lot to do, half an hour on the train and about £6. Leeds has good nightlife too, options to serve everyneed.

It all really depends what you want to do, thats the very rough broad picture. If your looking for more specific stuff I can try and help out
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    In Leeds itself there is a bitch but not too much for tourists to be honest.

There's a what?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    My advice for a tourist looking for something nice to do in Leeds...

Go to the station and get on a train out of Leeds. Immediately.

I would agree completely... but now I know there's a bitch in Leeds I'm being forced to reconsider :hyper:

Go to York!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    There's a what?
    Haha oops. I meant BIT I don't know where the CH came from on the end. :D
  • Options
    Freudian Slip typing?! :p
  • Options
    Freudian Slip typing?! :p
    Haha. I don't know, I think I changed that sentence and maybe left part of the old sentence in. I don't know :(
  • Options
    I do stupid typing all the time, marathon always ends up marathong for example :blush:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Aw, don't be sad (HA!) 'cause then you'll be Queen Bitch in Manchester... though I know of a few contenders :p;)
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    you are forgetting the lovely tropical world/canal gardens (they have meerkats!), roundhay park, kirkstall abbey, meanwood urban farm, meanwood park and golden acre park. not a great deal to do there, but rather nice at this time of year.

there's also esholt (the emmerdale village) but that'd probably be a wee bit lost on americans. it's dead pretty up there though.

if you're travelling further afield, the lovely bradford has the museum of film, photography and tv, which is well interesting, and bradford also has the dubious honour of being gun crime capital of the UK, so your US buddy should feel at home ;)

there's also yorkshire sculpture park just south of wakefield, if you fancy a spot of culture, and there's a direct bus from both leeds uni and the city centre :thumb:
  • Options
    Cheltenhamwise, you could go up leckhampton hill and check out some of the views,
    you can see all of cheltenham and gloucester on a clear day! (If your intention is to seduce him, then this might work)

There's nowt much for tourism in gloucs as you've probably already established, cheltenham just has the pump rooms / race course / theatre. Gloucester has the cathedral where (some of) harry potter was filmed (the hall scenes) And there are always loads of people dressed up as wizards, or the docks (Never been). Uhm, if you mean gloucestershire in general, there's bourton-on-the-water which is fairly chilled (but maybe a bit boring, depends on what he's into), or burford wildlife park, or slimbridge wetlands park, orrr there's sudeley castle or warwick castle...

I dunno :D Come to the 2pigs after though and say hi hi :D

i should learn how to use paragraphs...
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    you are forgetting the lovely tropical world/canal gardens

:yes: for some reason, whenever anyone wants to visit me in Leeds they insist on a trip to tropical world... and yeah, shopping is good too but obviously not everyone wants to do that when you can do that anywhere! harrogate is lovely too.
  • Options
    noog wrote:

I dunno :D Come to the 2pigs after though and say hi hi :D

i should learn how to use paragraphs...

Oh my goodness, I lived in the 2 pigs when I was a student :)
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Oh my goodness, I lived in the 2 pigs when I was a student :)

All the more reason to visit (Aslong as you bring a thesite T-shirt) :yes: :lol:
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Well I am your lady my dear, I have lived in both these places.
    Cheltenham, like Noog said there's not a right lot to do, but I have to disagree, Bourton-on the-Water is fab!
    They have all the touristy bits and bobs, lovely little shops, and best of all, Brum (the little yellow car) lives there.
    Gloucester docks are lovely, not as good since they took the museum away, but they have boat tours which are supposed to be nice.
    I wouldnt recommend sudeley castle, as it costs a small fortune, for nothing much really, but cotswold wildlife park is ace! :D
    I will not be seeing you in 2 pigs, but pop to Moda (aka Time) and you shall find me there, mixed in amongst the youngsters and chavs! :rolleyes: I need a new drinking spot now you come to mention it!
    As for Leeds, the royal amouries are good, i liked that when i went on a trip, and shopping is amazing. The clubs in Leeds are fantastic too, and although Ive not been for ages, Majestyk and Creation are my faves.
    Like Sophia said, Ilkley is nice, and if you go to Ilkley you have to go to Otley too (which is where I used to live) and visit the riverside if it's a nice day.
    Harewood house is quite nice too, which is around the Otley/Harrogate area (I think) and also if you do go to Ilkley, you HAVE to go to Betty's tea rooms...there you will discover what a cream cake really is!
    If you want to know anything else, I can be your e-tour guide :p
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Liverpool :D
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    Harewood house is quite nice too, which is around the Otley/Harrogate area (I think)

it's in Harewood (oddly :p) which is slap bang between leeds and harrogate. the number 36 bus goes from leeds bus station and it's blingy as hell, with leather seats upstairs and a fancy chrome finish.

i enjoy a trip on the 36 even if i have no reason to go to harrogate.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    Like Sophia said, Ilkley is nice, and if you go to Ilkley you have to go to Otley too (which is where I used to live) and visit the riverside if it's a nice day.

totally unrelated but i spent 1/2 of new years day driving round otley lost trying to find the works christmas doo
  • Options
    melanie wrote:
    totally unrelated but i spent 1/2 of new years day driving round otley lost trying to find the works christmas doo
    oooh oooh!! I would have been there on New Years day too...you might have driven past me...second thoughts, I probably had a bad had somewhere!
  • Options
    would not suprise me i think i did tour de otley

I was looking for ssb as thats who i worked for and we just drove round and round "its easy to find, right oppersit the police station" - Yeh right :p
  • Options
    You could come to Huddersfield to do some teenage-mum spotting.
  • Options
    melanie wrote:
    would not suprise me i think i did tour de otley

I was looking for ssb as thats who i worked for and we just drove round and round "its easy to find, right oppersit the police station" - Yeh right :p
    suburban bar? you had your do there? i like it in there, its on my way home, i used to live just over the bridge that its next to.
    It used to be called Tittybottle (?!) bar, i think suburban is much classier!