Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Phone upgrades....should i bother...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, well ive just been informed by Mr Orange that i can have a new phone if i want one, but looking at the list i have a feeling that are all a bit shite. ive always used the orange spv's and could upgrade from my C550 to a C600 but they have no stock at the moment, so would mean waiting, and im not sure if i want another SPV.

here is the list that i can get. does anyone recommend any of these because im not quite up on my mobile technology. if they all a bit naff i'll just wait for a new SPV.

thanks for your advice.

the list:
Nokia 7360
Samsung X700
SE K750i
Motorola Pebl
Nokia 1600
Motorola L6
Samsung X660
Samsung E530
Samsung E350E
Nokia 6030
Samsung D500
Motorola ROKR

Comments

• Options
    Don't get Samsung, they aren't good in water. I've had good luck witn Nokia's in that department though.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Don't get Samsung, they aren't good in water. I've had good luck witn Nokia's in that department though.

true, my old nokia once went down the bog, hour on the radiator and it was fine
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    true, my old nokia once went down the bog, hour on the radiator and it was fine

Definatly! My old nokia took a couple baths, swam in the toilet twice and went in the washing machine for about 5 minutes before I caught it, worst thing that happened was the # button didn't work for a couple days. I leave the samsung out in the rain, broken. Fell when I was in the shower, so it wasn't even in a pool of water and and it fucking broke too, 2 days old grrr.

Sorry [/rant] :p

I've heard alright things with Motorola, like they handle falls and stuff nicely. But besides what handles harassment better, I dont know anything else about phones.
  • Options
    yeh the phones out now are a bit shitty.

why not wait a few weeks/months until some better ones are about?

i'm due for an upgrade in july and i'm a big fan of samsungs (last 2 phones have been samsungs). but i want to try something different next time, maybe a nokia. but i'm scared. :(
  • Options
    my son in law is buying job lots ...500 phones a time and stuff.
    on ebay and places.
    damaged pallet full ...out of five hundred phones ...twenty will be knackered but good for bits.
    maybe a hundred hundred and fifty need repair or face lift.
    he buys new faces and motherboards and stuff.
    he buys job lots of sim cards ...amazingly cheap.
    he sells recond latest phones ...some get sold as new cos they are.
    he is on the verge of making some tidy money.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Actually, I've had my samsung down the loo, down sink of soapy water, in numerous rain storms and it's still working perfectly. I had to dry it out for a while (and clean it!) after each occasion but it's still going strong...

My flatmate's nokia on the other hand didn't last one trip to the loo.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I've heard alright things with Motorola, like they handle falls and stuff nicely. But besides what handles harassment better, I dont know anything else about phones.

I've found this as well. Several times I've managed to drop my Motorola and it still works fine. Same with the Nokia I had before.
  • Options
    Yeah, but Motorolas are shite in my experience. Mine can FOAD come next month, when its time for my upgrade.
  • Options
    ive decided to get a motorola pebl, only because it looks very pretty, if its crap i can send it back within 7 days for free so thats alright.
  • Options
    You should've waited for this baby to come out. That's what i'm gunna do :)
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    ive decided to get a motorola pebl, only because it looks very pretty, if its crap i can send it back within 7 days for free so thats alright.

good choice, i have a friend who has one of them, and i like it :)
  • Options
    The peble is so ugly though :(
  • Options
    noog wrote:

I am waiting for that also. :heart: hopefully.
  • Options
    noog wrote:

When is it due out?
  • Options
    When is it due out?

June. Which, with a Sony Ericsson, means mid july before it's available easily ;)
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    June. Which, with a Sony Ericsson, means mid july before it's available easily ;)

Hmm. Wondering whether or not its worth waiting for it or not, I've currently got my eye on the w810i. I don't know if orange will offer that one to keep me from leaving or not when I phone up if its brand new out.
  • Options
    Hmm. Wondering whether or not its worth waiting for it or not, I've currently got my eye on the w810i. I don't know if orange will offer that one to keep me from leaving or not when I phone up if its brand new out.

That I cannot tell you. I was looking at the 810 myself but found it .. lacking. Hopefully the k800 will be good. Mostly I'm hoping that the camera on it will produce ok pictures to serve as a backup camera when I don't take out the real one.
  • Options
    Well the 750i produced decentish pictures in good lighting conditions. Hopefully we'll see more of the same, only better images in low-light (As the k800 has a xenon flash instead of 2 LED's)
  • Options
    my friend has a pebl and i think they scratch quite easily. aren't they a bit..girly?
  • Options
    :mad: @ o2. Rang their call centre to upgrade and I got this northern guy with a reaaally deep accent,

I said i'd seen a contract for k800i for £30/pm 18m contract on the net, and he said they had the phone for upgrade but it'd be £90 >:[.

whywhywhy is it easier to get a new contract rather than just extend the current one. makes no sense :no:
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    :mad: @ o2. Rang their call centre to upgrade and I got this northern guy with a reaaally deep accent,

I said i'd seen a contract for k800i for £30/pm 18m contract on the net, and he said they had the phone for upgrade but it'd be £90 >:[.

whywhywhy is it easier to get a new contract rather than just extend the current one. makes no sense :no:

No it doesn't, but once the phone is out properly I'll be ringing up to cancel, they can then either put me through to the retention department and I'll bargain with them for a k800 and different contract (because mine is shit) or just leave and start a new contract.
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    did you try asking for retentions because you want to leave o2?

They can give much more.

This is true.

I phoned up to cancel my contract (had a shitty Nokia 7610 on 200 mins and 500 texts for £30 per month) and they offered me a new phone with the same tariff at half price (£15!!!)... but in the end, because I was using loads of minutes over my allowance, I wangled a Motorola SLVR with 500 mins and 500 texts for £25 a month on a 12 month contract. Well chuffed!
  • Options
    I managed to get the k800 in the end :-)
  • Options
    If you want a new phone, personally i'd say get anything thats Nokia...I have a Nokia 1100, its not a high end phone, doesn't even have a colour screen, but its as tough as nuts...i haven't gotten it wet yet, but i've dropped it heaps of times, and i put it through an accident on my bike that resulted in me hitting the pavement at a billion miles an hour on the side where i had said phone in my pocket, and lets just say that the phone was in much, much, much better condition than i was. :P (The phone didn't even have a scratch on it, whereas i was nicely brused, battered and bleeding from the accident :P)
  • Options
    noog wrote:

pay for an upgrade?! i've upgraded twice with o2 online and never had to pay.

i want the nokia n80 but it's only available on a really expensive contract at the moment. the only other phone i like the look of is the w801i but i don't really want a phone with a walkman when i have an mp3 player. kinda defeats the reason why i bought an mp3 player.
  • Options

I've never had to pay either. However, when I was looking at upgrading my phone, the razr cost something like £50.
  • Options
    i kept my pebl in the end and i quite like it, very basic phone but does everything i need it to, txt and phone people, thats all i need. and its nice looking, and i love the opening action!

im just a sucker for pretty designs.

it also matches my lighter, thats coo
  • Options

Ooh good, I'm with o2 online, and everyone had told me it'd be a free upgrade, but after reading everyones posts before yours I had a worrying spell, I'd of been keeping the D500 for a few years before I could upgrade if I was paying for it!
  • Options
    i'm thinking about going onto an orange online contract. i currently pay £25 a month for 500 txts and 500 minutes to any network but they're off peak. orange have 500 txts and 200 anytime any network minutes for the same price (would like a few more minutes but nevermind..). thing is i want to keep my number and can't be arsed with the faff of getting the puk code or whatever it is and telling people my number has changed and then back again..!
  • Options
    i'm getting a samsung e900 http://uk.samsungmobile.com/wcms/products/phones/phonedata/features/UK-SGH-E900.jsp

i decided to stick with o2 and when i rang them to get online 200 (200 minutes 500 txt) they said if i went with the 18 month one i'd get 300 minutes and 750 txt. so i went with that. i don't normally like slide phones but in the flesh it's soo pretty. :heart: