Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Innocents branded as criminals by Home Office

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bongbudda wrote:
    But this is the system working, illegal worker goes to work, they check them and realise - shock horror. Where is the story in this?
    The fact they got into the Home Office in the first place might have something to do with it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The fact they got into the Home Office in the first place might have something to do with it.
    Is "The Home Office" a secret lair all of a sudden, or are we still talking about an office block in Croydon?

The biggest embarassment was not, in fact, that the Nigerians were working at Home Office premises, but that the agency they were working for had accepted supposedly genuine documents for the workers that showed they were able to work in this country. That is the story - total confusion amongst employers as to which documents are real and can be used to prove a right to work.
  • Options
    Isn't the 1500 something like a 0.03% failure rate. Until we reach the ultimate state of perfection and enter nirvana cock-ups are going to happen and no system is perfect, but 1500 out of 9 million actually seems a bloody good job.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,1780276,00.html
    A Home Office spokesman said the errors were regrettable but in the context of the vast scale of work carried out by the CRB they amounted to 0.03% of the 9m disclosures issued by the bureau since it started operating four years ago.
  • Options
    Much like any other error rate, if you are part of the o.o3% then it's a 100% failure ;)
  • Options
    To all those defending the inept Home Office on this, how do you counter that with the news the Immigration Minister has tonight been shunted to another job? >> Clicky >>
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    To all those defending the inept Home Office on this, how do you counter that with the news the Immigration Minister has tonight been shunted to another job? >> Clicky >>

Yeah they sacked him by making him in charge of the police reforms - hardly a demotion is it?
  • Options
    Much like any other error rate, if you are part of the o.o3% then it's a 100% failure ;)

'Tis true - I'm just trying to get a sense of proportion.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:

Difficult to blame someone who's been in his job for a couple of weeks though, isn't it?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    'Tis true - I'm just trying to get a sense of proportion.

What, letting get in the way of a good headline?
  • Options
    Difficult to blame someone who's been in his job for a couple of weeks though, isn't it?

Which makes it seems like cock-up than conspiracy, if you can't blame the Home Office Ministers media blame tends to go up the chain to the man at the top...
  • Options
    What, letting get in the way of a good headline?

I know that's the trouble with being a civil servant I don't view the world through tabloid eyes :( It would be so much simpler if I did...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Okay, let's say that you decided to have a huge career change and applied to become a social worker. (unlikely scenario, I know, but bear with me) They go to the CRB to do a check, and it comes back, saying you, Gareth ****** (I won't publish your second name online) have got a conviction for armed robbery, or something, and that prevents you taking the job. I wonder whether you'd be so complacent having mistakenly been branded a criminal. Me suspects not.
    funnily enough ...a criminal record does not stop you from having a job in certain areas of social work.
    in fact it can actualy be a valuable life experience on your cv.