Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Asking a girl if shes single

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This might sound really silly and immature, but whats the best way to ask a girl whether or not she's single?

Obviously asking her outright is just plain silly right?

Does it need to be worked into a sentence somehow?
Like, "would your boyfriend mind you going for a walk with another guy"

Or is that even worse?

Comments

• Options
    That would make me turn around and walk the other way. Or laugh.
    Best way, imo... So, are you seeing anybody?
  • Options
    How do you know her? Work I suppose?
  • Options
    I'd reckon that if you're interested in a girl then you'll be trying to get to know her and it's the kind of thing that crops up in conversation. Generally if you ask abou their plans for the weekend or stuff like that.
  • Options
    guys normal ask me by asking ' what your boyfriend think about that' if you ask her anything about her boyfriend you will know right there if she is single
  • Options
    Or is that even worse?

Yeah, think that's worse than just asking if they're single.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    I'd reckon that you're interested in a girl that you'll be trying to get to know her and it's the kind of thing that crops up in conversation. Generally if you ask abou their plans for the weekend or stuff like that.

Correct.

Rule - Try and at least act interested in the conversation though. If she does mention the b*yfriend word then you can at least make a good shot at bringing the conversation to a natural end without looking like the whole point of the conversation was to find out whether she had a bloke or not.

:yes:
  • Options
    my current boyfriend first asked me by saying, wheres your bf tonight then... i answered i dont hve one, he knew i was single and the coast was clear :)
  • Options
    Blairx0 wrote:
    guys normal ask me by asking ' what your boyfriend think about that' if you ask her anything about her boyfriend you will know right there if she is single

as a woman, i absolutely hate it when men do that.

Its as obvious than asking "are you single", and in a more pathetic way
  • Options
    ask if therr seeing sanyonem, and if they dsay single act totallty suprised. "you r faarr too fit to be siinhlgle"
  • Options
    Blah wrote:

i just normally ask them
  • Options
    Blah wrote:

I totally agree.

Just ask outright, it might be a teeny bit awkward but it's not exactly offensive. Or wait until it comes up naturally in conversation, if she has a fella then I'm sure it will.
  • Options
    "Fancy sucking me cock darlin?"
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    "Fancy sucking me cock darlin?"
    How much luck do you have with that line?

The reason I asked this question is that yesterday I went to the city library, and the most amazing girl I've ever seen worked behind the help desk (she was so friendly, and nice). And I just kinda got to thinking how people actually approach girls they like, so more curiosity than an actual situation.
  • Options
    In my experience, if a girl doesn't mention a boyfriend within about 15 minutes of your first conversation, she doesn't have one. I dunno if it's just me and they feel it necessary to give off a "don't get any ideas" signal though.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:

I usually find women slip the fact they've got a boyfriend into the conversation without you having to ask, like I'm With Stupid says. But if you are gonna ask, do it directly.
  • Options
    This might sound really silly and immature, but whats the best way to ask a girl whether or not she's single?

Obviously asking her outright is just plain silly right?

Does it need to be worked into a sentence somehow?

Or is that even worse?

Why do you have to ask her if she was single?

Just ask her out for a drink or coffee and the ensuing answer will tell you all you need to know, you get me!!
    :thumb:
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:

Just ask her out for a drink or coffee and the ensuing answer will tell you all you need to know, you get me!!

Hmm, that sounds like a pretty decent method to me :)
  • Options
    Just talk to her and see if she mentions her partner, then if she doesn't mention him maybe ask her out for a drink.
  • Options
    Well since I'm in uncharted territory, I’ll see what happen. So if things go beyond daydreams, I’ll be posting for a lot more help.
  • Options
    What's wrong with 'Are you single'? I've been asked that many times and it doesn't bother me :thumb:

Ilora x
  • Options
    You might as well just ask them outright what their marital status is. Surprisingly, I've been asked this before. I just answered, saying "well, not sure why you ask, but yes, I'm single". Not really much to lose by asking.
  • Options
    a line i use to a guy is.. "single or attached?" an thats pretty simple an straight foward, ya know where your at!
  • Options
    Just talk to her and see if she mentions her partner, then if she doesn't mention him maybe ask her out for a drink.

But the problem with this would be that there are loads of people who tend not to mewntion their partners. I know someone who did this and I only know he was with someone because there was some stupid rumour going around that I fancied him...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    But the problem with this would be that there are loads of people who tend not to mewntion their partners. I know someone who did this and I only know he was with someone because there was some stupid rumour going around that I fancied him...
    So?

Get to know them... If they're single then great, if they're not then they might have cute friends they'll one day introduce you to.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    migpilot wrote:

This, however, might have the result that she'd say yes and then turn out she's not single. And if you got mad because you were lied to she could say "I never lied" and that would be true.
  • Options
    I was thinking that the best thing to do might be to make general chit chat, then find out when she gets off work (or has other free time) and arrange to go for a walk along the sea front or to see a film if it rains.

If she doesn't mention a boyfriend within a few hours, just to ask her straight out.

The thing is, this would be the first time I'd be asking a girl out, and if it goes bad, I wont be able to step back into the library she works at.
  • Options
    or you could just go and make a survey
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    Asking women if they're single is practically part of your daily routine anyway. :p
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    you mean like stalk her?
  • Options
    you mean like stalk her?

I think stalking is misrepresented. Its the weird people that get caught that give it a bad name :razz:

Disclaimer: I am being facetious.