Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Asking a girl if shes single

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was thinking that the best thing to do might be to make general chit chat, then find out when she gets off work (or has other free time) and arrange to go for a walk along the sea front or to see a film if it rains.

If she doesn't mention a boyfriend within a few hours, just to ask her straight out.

The thing is, this would be the first time I'd be asking a girl out, and if it goes bad, I wont be able to step back into the library she works at.

Course you'd be able to go back there, silly! I've asked loads of guys if they are single, sometimes they are sometimes they arent. Its no big deal.

The sea front walk sounds great. I think going to see films are always a bit weird on a first date because you can't talk much.

Wooo I'm excited when are you asking her?
  • Options
    What's wrong with 'Are you single'? I've been asked that many times and it doesn't bother me :thumb:

Ilora x
    Are You single?? :p
  • Options
    Wooo I'm excited when are you asking her?
    I'm not really sure, but the fact is, we spoke for maybe 2mins whilst I filled in a form. She seemed so nice, that I cant stop thinking about her.

I'm probably one of the most shy person you'll ever meet, so thats the only thing holding me back.

Truth is, I'm really confused. I dont want to give you people the impression that I'm a total freak, but I've hardly ever spoken to a girl. I have a sister, but its just not the same, and I'm worried about coming across as this bumbling buffoon who fancies this girl.
  • Options
    Truth is, I'm really confused. I dont want to give you people the impression that I'm a total freak, but I've hardly ever spoken to a girl. I have a sister, but its just not the same, and I'm worried about coming across as this bumbling buffoon who fancies this girl.
    You never know, that might be her type - The Hugh Grant. :p Did you post about this a while back?
  • Options

Mate, every time I talk to a lass guaranteed something stupid comes out. Usually at the point when she's looking at me and I'm looking at her and then it's the perfect time to say something that'd move things on a bit, but I start laughing or change the subject to something stupid.

But it usually turns out alright, if you make an arse of yourself then it breaks the ice big time. If somethings gonna happen then it's gonna happen.

Go for it dude, just judge when the time is right and trust your instincts.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Personally I think it's a bit annoying when someone refers to my 'boyfriend' in a context when they don't know if I have one or not, just to find out! I think just be really straightforward and say 'do you fancy going for a drink sometime' - she will know what it means (i.e. that you fancy her!) and if she is with someone she will tell you at that point - trust me the girl is normally the one who is more embarrased when this happens if they do have to let you down!
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Mate, every time I talk to a lass guaranteed something stupid comes out. Usually at the point when she's looking at me and I'm looking at her and then it's the perfect time to say something that'd move things on a bit, but I start laughing or change the subject to something stupid.

But it usually turns out alright, if you make an arse of yourself then it breaks the ice big time. If somethings gonna happen then it's gonna happen.

Go for it dude, just judge when the time is right and trust your instincts.

I agree with this completely.

Everytime I open my mouth to ANYONE not just people I fancy I end up saying something stupid.

Just think whats the worst that can happen? So she says no, she's got a boyfriend, she laughs? You can recover from all three and can sleep well that night knowing that you tried and next time you ask someone it'll be easier.

If you don't want to ask her out yet why dont you chat to her a bit more? If she is carrying some books or something ask her if she needs/wants a hand. Then just drop in "I'm having a good laugh with you, we should meet up sometime, what dya think?"

You only live once.
  • Options
    You only live once.

Nail on the head! :yes:
  • Options
    If you don't want to ask her out yet why dont you chat to her a bit more?
    Thats pretty much what I decided to do. I am new to the library, so I'll just ask for help or something. Then see what sort of 'vibe' I get.

Everyones been very helpful, but I guess it's up to me now...
  • Options
    Thats pretty much what I decided to do. I am new to the library, so I'll just ask for help or something. Then see what sort of 'vibe' I get.

Everyones been very helpful, but I guess it's up to me know...

Yeah it is, good luck. I'm sure it'll be great. :heart: