Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Preserving your skin at an early age

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've read it's best to start preserving your skin against age at about the age of 25, I'm not far off that so I want to start now.
My mum and gran still have really beautiful young looking skin. My mum is in her early forties and looks about 29-30, my gran is in her 70s and looks about 60. My mum started her regime at about 25 and my gran swears by Nivea. I shall be trying Nivea. However, most face treatments bring me out in spots, those big red ones, under the skin that don't get a head. Can anyone recommend anything for super sensitive dry skin please?

Comments

• Options
    Vicky - youre 23 and your mum is in her early 30s? Is that a typo?
  • Options
    I'd definitely recommend Ponds Cold Cream and Dry Skin Cream for dry and sensitive skin. My mum's been using it since she was 20 and I've started to do the same. The Cold Cream is the best for removing all the makeup, dirt, grime etc from your face and the Dry Skin Cream is really soothing and mositurises fabulously. They're not heavily fragranced (in fact, I think they're fragrance free) and aren't at all greasy/soak in really well.

My mum is well into her 50s and her skin is really something, soft and pretty much wrinkle-free. It's pretty cheap, too, and has been around forever so is most definitely tried and tested unlike all these new-fangled anti-aging miracle potions that are always popping up. ;)

I also love the Badger Balm creams and ointments but I can't afford to buy them regularly.
  • Options
    Vicky - youre 23 and your mum is in her early 30s? Is that a typo?
    No...she was a right slapper in her day......lol I'll change it
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I'd definitely recommend Ponds Cold Cream and Dry Skin Cream for dry and sensitive skin. My mum's been using it since she was 20 and I've started to do the same. The Cold Cream is the best for removing all the makeup, dirt, grime etc from your face and the Dry Skin Cream is really soothing and mositurises fabulously. They're not heavily fragranced (in fact, I think they're fragrance free) and aren't at all greasy/soak in really well.

My mum is well into her 50s and her skin is really something, soft and pretty much wrinkle-free. It's pretty cheap, too, and has been around forever so is most definitely tried and tested unlike all these new-fangled anti-aging miracle potions that are always popping up. ;)

I also love the Badger Balm creams and ointments but I can't afford to buy them regularly.
    Thank you :D I shall have a look for the Ponds creams whilst in town today.
  • Options
    My mum has lovely skin too and she is in her late 40's my dad looks like a right old git compared to her.

I've been cleansing and moisturising every day since I was about 13, and I find 'simple' products the best. I use the protecting moisture cream, its lovely. I used to get those red under the skin spots all the time but since I started using that (compared to the ordinary moisturiser) I rarely do.

The best skin care advice I could give is do not over wash your face, I never ever use soap on my face just cleanser but thats just my personal preference because I have very sensitive skin, my face can only handle being washed or cleansed twice a day.
  • Options
    embalming fluid i heard works wonders.
  • Options
    Star Baked wrote:
    embalming fluid i heard works wonders.

Does it have to be used internally to work though or can you spread it on ya face like a face mask? :razz:
  • Options
    Does it have to be used internally to work though or can you spread it on ya face like a face mask? :razz:

it depends if youre after the tutangkhamen or madame tussaud complexion.
  • Options
    i've got sensitive skin, but i find it reacts to some things meant for sensitive skin, and is fine with some meant for normal skin. it's a law unto itself.

at the moment i am getting on really well with the evian moisturiser for dry skin. it's the only really rich-feeling cream that seems to suit my skin - normally the ones that feel like they're really moisturising turn me into spot central, but this one i love. it's also fairly affordable.

i think often with temperamental skin you have to try a few before you find one that works.
  • Options
    estee lauder....expensive but it lasts and its good...if you add it up you'd probably spend the same buying usual stuff every few weeks.
    You only need to use it in small amounts too!
  • Options
    I've tried every make under the sun and personally find Clinique's face creams the best. Atm, I'm on a trial for Chanel face cream and haven't used it for long so I'm not sure how good it is.

(I've always had to look after my skin because I've had psoriasis on my face from an early age. I was using facial moisturiser when I was in lower school, so I know the importance of a good skin regime.)

You may want to try Kiehl's. They come highly recommended (Vogue, Marie Claire, Happy etc) and they're always happy to send out samples of their products (which is always useful for empty pockets). I personally love Kiehl's.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Sun Cream is probably useful
  • Options
    Well my mums 40 and shes been using Olay or Ulay as it was back in the day since she was 15 and she now looks like shes been botoxed.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Well my mums 40 and shes been using Olay or Ulay as it was back in the day since she was 15 and she now looks like shes been botoxed.

Olay is the best. Its been around the house for as long as I can remember and comes in all sorts of styles too. I'm all about the sensitive skin. Both my parents use it actually and they don't look the 50 that they are.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Olay is the best. Its been around the house for as long as I can remember and comes in all sorts of styles too. I'm all about the sensitive skin. Both my parents use it actually and they don't look the 50 that they are.

I agree Olay is the best. My mum has used it for years and her skin is amazing for her age! She got me using Olay from about 8 or 9 and compared to some people my age my skin is in pretty good condition. And it doesnt cost the earth and I find it does last quite a while.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there,
    Have you ever considered food - we've got a really interesting new article called Feed your skin which is all about nourishing dry skin by eating the right things such as nuts, oily fish and avacado.
  • Options
    yep, or a supplement containing essential fatty acids. I take a flax seed oil capsule every day which is high in EFAs and omega 3, but evening primrose oil is good too, also fish oils.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Hi there,
    Have you ever considered food - we've got a really interesting new article called Feed your skin which is all about nourishing dry skin by eating the right things such as nuts, oily fish and avacado.
    Cheers I'll take a look :D I do eat lots of fruit n veg and I love fish. I'll take a look and see what I can do to bump things up. You are what you eat!
  • Options
    I've been using moisturisers with sunscreen in for years, im 23 now. I currently use Boots Botanics SPF 15 - is good and provides a good base for make-up.
    And I think it goes without saying that stufflike eating well and drinking lots of water will help from the inside
  • Options
    It's also good to battle wrinkles from the inside ... so take things with high antioxidant properties like Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Green tea etc and give up smoking ... :yes:
  • Options
    What are peoples opinions on using anti wrinkle/anti aging moisturizers starting at a young age? Or body lotion that supposidly improves your skins elacticity.
  • Options
    Well, if those are pics of you in your avatar, it may be that you are just a little too late ... :razz:

Teasing! *hugs*

In my opinion, if you start young, it puts you into the good habit and routine of continuing good skin care throughout your life (like good dental care) ... and it certainly can't do you any harm ...
  • Options
    Stop Smoking ;)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:

In my opinion, if you start young, it puts you into the good habit and routine of continuing good skin care throughout your life (like good dental care) ... and it certainly can't do you any harm ...

:yes:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    What are peoples opinions on using anti wrinkle/anti aging moisturizers starting at a young age? Or body lotion that supposidly improves your skins elacticity.

I think it is just important to wear sunscreen all year round, and use anti-wrinklte creams when the first signs of ageing really appear.
  • Options
    Cleanse

Tone

Exfoliate (no more than 3 times a week)

Moisturise
  • Options
    I use oil of olay sensitive stuff, Its non greasey and comes in a little white bottle.
  • Options
    oh and dont forget protecting your hands ladies - they can age worse than your face cause the skin is so thin
  • Options
    Oooh yes I use Neutrogena (I think, Norweigan stuff) Concentrate on my hand, use it about a zillion times a day and just leave it on my desk at work, Give me something to occupy myself with.
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    I use oil of olay sensitive stuff, Its non greasey and comes in a little white bottle.

Thats the one I got, love it, has the sunscrean too (Cuz my non sun seeing body almost needs that ;)). Started using it cuz my mom did, continued cuz its dead cheap, thats my favorite part about it ;) I use it on my hands too :o Its the only lotion i've run into that doesn't leave them greasy and sweaty feeling for hours after.