Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Overdose

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    when someone is so low, so desperate and suffering so much that they feel the only option bearable for them is to die - going against all human and animal survival instincts, how the hell can cowardly or brave even come into it.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i never said 'putting up with it' was the way to go, as i've been there myself. Getting help is what anyone who feels like that should do.
    only probelm with that is help is usually very difficult to come by.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    only probelm with that is help is usually very difficult to come by.
    i don't think its that, i think it's just not knowing where to start or what is available
  • Options
    there are not enough resources in the nhs or anywhere else for that matter to be able to offer help to everyone who feels like life is not worth living.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i don't think its that, i think it's just not knowing where to start or what is available
    Surely it depends on what the underlying problems are though, as to how easy it is to find help and sort things out.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Surely it depends on what the underlying problems are though, as to how easy it is to find help and sort things out.
    exactly, everyone has different problems so it's confusing as to where you can go
    and i agree it isn't really made clear enough on what kind of help is there
  • Options
    You cant just "get help" and everything suddenly is worth living again. You talk as though its a toothache or something.
  • Options
    You cant just "get help" and everything suddenly is worth living again. You talk as though its a toothache or something.
    i never said getting help was like waving a magic wand...but it's a start
  • Options
    when someone is so low, so desperate and suffering so much that they feel the only option bearable for them is to die - going against all human and animal survival instincts, how the hell can cowardly or brave even come into it.

Thank you.
  • Options
    It really shouldn't do anything. It takes quite a lot of ibuprofen to be in need of immediate care. The worst thing that would most likely happen is her liver might not like anything thrown at it for a few days.
  • Options
    junker wrote:
    It really shouldn't do anything. It takes quite a lot of ibuprofen to be in need of immediate care. The worst thing that would most likely happen is her liver might not like anything thrown at it for a few days.
    I'm not convinced you know what you're talking about. Any overdose is potentially harmful, hence maximum daily doses are provided on the packaging and information leaflets of over-the-counter drugs. For that reason, even overdoses without suicidal intent should be taken seriously.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    as a side line, i rekon REALLY killing yourself must take a lot of guts. i also rekon if someone REALLY wanted to kill themselves they would do something guaranteed to work - jump off a very tall buiding, or hanging themselves, etc.
    taking a small amount of pills as the poster's friend did which can't really result in suicide was probably just a cry for help, rather than an actual suicide attempt imo, doesn't take guts at all, but then neither is anyone a coward to ask for or cry for help imo either.
    I don't wish to speak from a suicide perspective, but from a self harm perspective on a smaller scale, it was for me a cry for help, even harming myself took guts, the thoughts that went through my head, after thinking about what it's doing to me, what could happen, the dangers, the consequences, people's reaction to it etc, all these things went rushing around in my head, and to harm after that was hard.

I don't know that much about suicide tbh, but have considered it, when you feel like that you aren't thinking of how much guts you have, instead I concentrated on the ability that I could do it.

As for getting help, I found getting help to be harder than the actual urges. Sometimes I walk out of counselling sessions thinking, fuck that, not going back, but I always do, it hurts to realise how potentially dangerpus I was to not only myself but others when I felt that way.

I agree with you Otter, the help is quite difficult to get, it took me to see 3 Dr's until I was transfered to the mental health team thingy. I nearly gave up so many times.

This post prob wasn't pleasant to read. Sorry.
  • Options
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    it hurts to realise how potentially dangerpus I was to not only myself but others when I felt that way.
    really seriously now...
    what does that mean?
    can you justify how you were a danger to anyone else for feeling like that?
    i ask because i was told (by the counsellors at my uni) that they thought i was a dangerous person because i self harmed and so they refused to offer me any support. tbh i've found it so hard to live with myself that anyone could possibly think that of me. were you told you were a danger by your counsellor? is it an idea that ALL counsellors have?
  • Options
    I'd just like to say that NHS Direct most likely did not tell someone to drink lots of milk and make themselves throw up.
    thats what i thought...
    nhs direct would be most likely to tell you to get down the a&e...
    once there you would most likely be given charcoal and a referal to a head-doctor.
  • Options
    i thought they usually tell you to go to a&e then they give you something that makes you throw up? usually for stuff like alcohol poisioning i think if i remember rightly
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    really seriously now...
    what does that mean?
    can you justify how you were a danger to anyone else for feeling like that?
    i ask because i was told (by the counsellors at my uni) that they thought i was a dangerous person because i self harmed and so they refused to offer me any support. tbh i've found it so hard to live with myself that anyone could possibly think that of me. were you told you were a danger by your counsellor? is it an idea that ALL counsellors have?
    I wasn't told as such that I was a danger, but it was brang up to me and I drew that conclusion, when counsellor asked me how I would've ended my life, the thing was that my method would have effected people, and possibly put them at danger. As for dangers with harming too, I don't need to say about the dangers to myself there.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    I wasn't told as such that I was a danger, but it was brang up to me and I drew that conclusion, when counsellor asked me how I would've ended my life, the thing was that my method would have effected people, and possibly put them at danger. As for dangers with harming too, I don't need to say about the dangers to myself there.
    oh okay.
    i thought they usually tell you to go to a&e then they give you something that makes you throw up? usually for stuff like alcohol poisioning i think if i remember rightly
    charcoal absorbs the poison.
  • Options
    Seems like people are trying to get at other people in this thread. any particular reason?

In my experience, getting help has been hard. Getting the help i really needed proved impossible.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    oh okay.
    Sorry, i apologise if I'm not making sense, I'm all over the place this eve.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Getting the help i really needed proved impossible.
    same here.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Seems like people are trying to get at other people in this thread. any particular reason?

In my experience, getting help has been hard. Getting the help i really needed proved impossible.
    Sorry if I've given that impression from my post, as I've said, I'm not feeling good at all. Sorry.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Sorry, i apologise if I'm not making sense, I'm all over the place this eve.
    chill. go and make yourself a nice cuppa. :)
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    chill. go and make yourself a nice cuppa. :)
    Yeah, cuppa and early night is in order. :)
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    Remember from when? These days giving an emetic for overdose is extremely unlikely and probably only used when everything else has been tried. Certainly for adults anyway.
    otter wrote:
    thats what i thought...
    nhs direct would be most likely to tell you to get down the a&e...
    once there you would most likely be given charcoal and a referal to a head-doctor
    Charcoal is only suitable for certain types of drugs and a psychiatrist wouldn't see you if you were drunk. The best you could hope for is a CPN review the next day on the ward.
  • Options
    *sigh*

yes, same here
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Charcoal is only suitable for certain types of drugs
    i.e. ibroprofen.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Charcoal is only suitable for certain types of drugs and a psychiatrist wouldn't see you if you were drunk. The best you could hope for is a CPN review the next day on the ward.
    Obviously the situation with the OP's friend will have resolved itself by now (the physical thing at least). But I was a bit confused, I didn't think they were drunk (unless I misunderstood). Also, when a friend of mine took an overdose (and washed it down with Vodka) she got seen by the Pyschiatrist the same day.

Unless I mis-read your post Kentish.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    i.e. ibroprofen.
    e.g. yeah.

Psychiatrists don't like making mental state assessments if the patient is drunk, but in the case of a section or if someone is mentally ill but medically well, of course they will be seen by a psychiatrist in order for them to be admitted. Most people who take overdoses are not mentally ill, or not mentally ill enough to require sectioning.
  • Options
    All this bickering probably isn't helping the original poster. If you want to pontificate about the rights and wrongs of suicide, it might be better to head over to the politics and debate forum.