Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Overdose

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
one of my friends has just take 11 ibuprofens. through past experince with myself that amount only made me ill for a day. but i know people react differently. please help. i am not with her i am only textin her and she wont tell me where she is any suggestions on what i should do.

Comments

• Options
    shelz wrote:
    one of my friends has just take 11 ibuprofens. through past experince with myself that amount only made me ill for a day. but i know people react differently. please help. i am not with her i am only textin her and she wont tell me where she is any suggestions on what i should do.

I have no idea what effect that can have, phone NHS direct?
  • Options
    Ibuprofen is not really strong, so it should be ok, but as remotebleeper suggested phone NHS direct just to make sure...
  • Options
    Also maybe you could phone her instead of texting to hear how she sounds. Do you live near by?
  • Options
    Also maybe you could phone her instead of texting to hear how she sounds. Do you live near by?

Yep good advice and if you don't live near by, see if someone that you know and know her does to go and check she is fine... even if she end up fine, any support would be good...
  • Options
    i have tryed phoning her but she wont answer her. I dont no where she is she wont tell i no she is not at home she told me that much. i asked her to tell the people she is with but she said they are asleep. i want to phone the nhs but if i do i cant text her to.
  • Options
    If she is worried she should wake them up, they will understand, does she feel some of the effect of the ibuprofen yet?
  • Options
    i told her to wake them up but she wont do it. she just keeps tellin me she is fine thank you by the way
  • Options
    what sort of overdose is this? Has she done it on purpose to harm herself?
    If she has then you really need to get help, since you don't know what else she will do. Even a phonecall to her local police...

I don't want to be a drama queen about it and its not the 15 tablets that worries me really its the whole situation really and its sounds a bit weird that she wont answer the phone to you.
  • Options
    what sort of overdose is this? Has she done it on purpose to harm herself?
    If she has then you really need to get help, since you don't know what else she will do. Even a phonecall to her local police...

I don't want to be a drama queen about it and its not the 15 tablets that worries me really its the whole situation really and its sounds a bit weird that she wont answer the phone to you.

:yes: Reasons are more important...

Frankly I think you can survive 11 ibuprofen easily, but then again people tolerance vary...

If it was something a bit stronger there would be more to worry, but if she is planning on doing stupid, if the ibufren don't do the trick she might move to something more radical...

Also it could also be a cry for help, her way pof saying I need help ad big time, cos otherwise I'm going to lose it...

Just tel her you are worry and would like to have her on the phone and that otherwise you might call someone (like the police) to go check on her cos she is you friend and you are really worr about her and don't want to lose her...
  • Options
    yeah she did it on purpose. she has been goin and getting counseling. the hole things werid and really hard to explain.
  • Options
    great advise thnx i no 11 isnt that bad it took me 60 before i ended up in hospital. i no she has tryed other things and scared she might take something else. she isnt repling to my txt or answerin her phone.
  • Options
    And btw if you plan on doing it again as well, please come post in here first to get support, cos we don't know you, but we sure don't want you to go a kill yourself that's for sure... You can also PM, cos been there, done that.. so know all about it...
  • Options
    shelz wrote:
    yeah she did it on purpose. she has been goin and getting counseling. the hole things werid and really hard to explain.

Ok well then try ringing her again, like NMM says it could be a cry for help and certainly sounds like that but it still v v serious.

If she doesnt pick up then text saying you really pleased she told you and you want to help, tell her her extremely worried and would like to hear her voice. Do be too confrontational.

I think it would be a good idea to let someone else know so that you arent dealing with it on your own, does her family know about the counseling? Could you ring them and let them know whats happening if they do know?
  • Options
    And btw if you plan on doing it again as well, please come post in here first to get support, cos we don't know you, but we sure don't want you to go a kill yourself that's for sure... You can also PM, cos been there, done that.. so know all about it...

Good advice
  • Options
    shelz wrote:
    great advise thnx i no 11 isnt that bad it took me 60 before i ended up in hospital. i no she has tryed other things and scared she might take something else. she isnt repling to my txt or answerin her phone.

I think you need to phone the police, they wont mind even if its a false alarm
  • Options
    she has phoned the nhs and they told her to drink lots of milk and that she would be sick but that is normal also she would be fine which i am really glad about. i dont no her family so i couldnt tell plus the throwen her out today. im not planning on doin it again or not at least in the next few days. i did that back at christmas time but i use to take 8 every few weeks to get my parents attenion but i have stopped that now.
  • Options
    Good, if the urges come back, come in here, you'll get some attention :yes:
  • Options
    ok thanks alot
  • Options
    shelz wrote:
    ok thanks alot

Yep like NMM says get attention off people here, they are a nice bunch really. :)
  • Options
    Hiya
    I hope your friend will be ok. I just wanted to give you some details of organisations you might want to contact that could help both you and your friend if you are feeling low again and need someone to talk to.

Samaritans
    Confidential help for anyone who is experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide.
    Tel: 08457 909090
    Email: jo@samaritans.org

Saneline
    Offers practical information, crisis care and emotional support to anybody affected by mental health problems.
    Tel: 0845 767 8000

Take care
  • Options
    shelz wrote:

11 ibroprofen - your friend should be physically fine tbh.
    but resorting to such f**ked up behaviour like taking an o/d would probably indicated that your friend has mental health problems and even though taking 11 ibroprofen is not that dangerous, she needs to get to the bottom of why she feels the need to resort to such extreme behaviour.
    you're frind probably needs to be refered to a psychiatrist or cuntsellor and so should seek medical help asap.
    ETS: i've never heard of the nhs recommending milk...
  • Options
    killing yourself is never the answer tbh...just the cowards way out
    they probably told her to drink milk so she'd throw up and get it out her system
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    .just the cowards way out

as a side line, i rekon REALLY killing yourself must take a lot of guts. i also rekon if someone REALLY wanted to kill themselves they would do something guaranteed to work - jump off a very tall buiding, or hanging themselves, etc.
    taking a small amount of pills as the poster's friend did which can't really result in suicide was probably just a cry for help, rather than an actual suicide attempt imo, doesn't take guts at all, but then neither is anyone a coward to ask for or cry for help imo either.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    they probably told her to drink milk so she'd throw up and get it out her system
    Not helpful really.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    as a side line, i rekon REALLY killing yourself must take a lot of guts. i also rekon if someone REALLY wanted to kill themselves they would do something guaranteed to work - jump off a very tall buiding, or hanging themselves, etc.
    taking a small amount of pills as the poster's friend did which can't really result in suicide was probably just a cry for help, rather than an actual suicide attempt imo, doesn't take guts at all, but then neither is anyone a coward to ask for or cry for help imo either.
    killing yourself takes guts for a few minutes/hours/days however long it takes
    dealing with problems and living your life takes guts for life
    asking for help is the least cowardly thing you can do
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    what a stupid naive thing to say
  • Options
    what a stupid naive thing to say
    well since when was it the answer?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    stfu Ballerina.
  • Options
    tbh i don't think this thread is about suicide or even attempting suicide.
    at an extreme its about self-harm and crying out for help.
    its easy to say that people should put up with their lives and live them. but its impossible to know what the person who took the o/d was feeling or for that matter what their reasoning was behind it.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    tbh i don't think this thread is about suicide or even attempting suicide.
    at an extreme its about self-harm and crying out for help.

its easy to say that people should put up with their lives and live them. but its impossible to know what the person who took the o/d was feeling or for that matter what their reasoning was behind it.
    i never said 'putting up with it' was the way to go, as i've been there myself. Getting help is what anyone who feels like that should do. Though it is a bit of a cliche...though i never really got help for it at the time, i sort of came out of it when i realised i didn't want to put everyone else through what i was going through. But obviously not everyone comes out of it on their own accord. Any help is better than none.