Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Come on Arsenal!!!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have nothing to say but boooooooo :(
  • Options
    Gutted :( absolutely gutted :(
  • Options
    I don't think the ref was particularly biased, just shit. Any good ref would play advantage for the first goal. Even Barca would've preferred the goal to Arsenal's keeper sent off. After that, it ruined what would've been one of the all time greatest finals. Surprise, surprise, the referee ruins the game again.

Arsenal's free kick that lead to the goal was a dive, but that happens in football. All you people on your high horse, what team of angels do you support that never dives? It's not Arsenal's fault that the referee made another poor desicion, or that Barca didn't defend it properly, and allowed Campbell a free header.

After the sending off though, it was never really a fair contest. At this level, one team having an extra player is huge. But on the whole, Barca were the best team in the tournment, but I bet they would've preferred to beat Arsenal 11 v 11.
  • Options
    :)
  • Options
    Whether Arsenal played well for 20 wee minutes or not means fuck all. Fact is Barca should have been 1-0 up in those 20 minutes. When Barca go 1-0 up, there's a good chance they'd have gone on to score 1 or 2 more as they are devastating once they go ahead. As it happened the ref fucked it up by not awarding their goal. Yes, he ruined the final, but I don't think Arsenal can complain too much as he'd blown his whistle for the foul, and the law says the keeper goes. Can't be changing rules just because it's a showpiece final and some people wanna see a good game. For the record Eboue should have been sent off as well.
  • Options
    Almunia should never have been beaten Twice at his near post, they were easy saves.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    WCan't be changing rules just because it's a showpiece final and some people wanna see a good game.
    It's not changing rules. Any good referee would play advantage, then pulled the ball back for a free kick if no advantage was gained. As it turns out, Barca scored. How much more of an advantage can you get? If Guily had blazed it over the bar, by all means send the keeper off and award a free kick. It was appaling refereeing. It just so happened that it ruined the game as well, and I've seen too many games ruined by the referee's strict, by-the-book interpretation of the rules.
  • Options
    Yea, it was the wrong decision to make, and the ref knows it, but if he blew his whistle (hastily) he has to go with his decision. You got to wonder whether you'd rather be a man down or a goal down. Had Arsenal held on to win you'd have alot of disgruntled Barca fans saying their goal should have stood and the Arsenal fans would be happy as larry. Works both ways. Just so happened that Barca benefitted on the night but it could have been different.
  • Options
    I don't believe the game would have being over if the Barca goal had stood and Lehmann still on the pitch. Arsenal destroyed barca and they were always going to get a goal or 2 (with 11 men that is).

As for changing the rules, like said before advantage should have being played. But look at it another way - without going and trying to find the law I'm pretty certain in there somewhere it mentions something like "denying a goal scoring opportunity" which is what you get red carded for, how the fuck has he denied a goal scoring opportunity when the ball ends up in the back of the net.
  • Options
    how the fuck has he denied a goal scoring opportunity when the ball ends up in the back of the net.

Because the decision was based on the foul on Eto'o, not on what happened afterwards. Had he played the advantage then Lehmann would only have been booked.

For me that decision underlines the fact that too many referrees are quick with their whistle and don't seem prepared to let play continue for a ten seconds to see if advantage is maintained. If it isn't then they can always pull play back.

As for the domination aspect, I thought that Barca were just starting to settle after the initial onslaught, nad had been for about five mins) and the pass to Eto'o was an example of that.

I am not sure that it would have been as clear cut as the Arsenal fans seem to think. Fact still remains that for all their complaints, they shouldn't have had a goal and they should have been down to ten men regardless of whether Lehmann was dismissed.

The thing about this game was the swings and roundabouts in the decisions. Arsenal can point to the sending off and Barca could point to the Eboue dive. Some you get, some you don't.

The other interesting aspect, which seem to be ignored by the "Henry is World Class" is that in anoother big game he choked at the vital moment when he was one-on-one with the keeper. Regardless of the referee's decisions he should have buried it and the Arse would have been two up. He didn't score, they lost.

I also love the comments from Lee Dixon this morning on 5Live when he said that it was on the "wrong side of the area" for Henry. Come on guys, he's supposed to be world class.
  • Options
    Just because Arsenal started quickly means nothing. I half expected them to come out of the blocks quickly hunting for a goal to defend. Barca rode the pressure though, and they were always going to come back into the game, as they proved with what should have been their first goal. You can say that Arsenal would have 'destroyed' Barca, but I think that's just blind faith. Obviously you can't know for sure, but it would have been very unlikely. Barca haven't been 'destroyed' by a single team this season, and they've faced tougher opposition than Arsenal. I watch them week in week out in La Liga - they are truly sensational even when things aren't going their way.

People should give Rijkaard alot of credit as well. His substitutions were perfect. Larsson was the best player on the pitch and Belletti scored the winner. He's building a fanastic reputation for himself, but you'll never see him steal the limelight from his players, like someone like Mourinho might try and do.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Ronaldinho played better than Henry.

That's crap.

It's like saying a 100m runner is a better athelete than a 400m runner because he finished in 10 seconds. Not comparing like for like.
    Addict wrote:
    Larsson was the best and most effective player on the pitch.

*sighs*

I'm not doubting Larss-hole did well when he came on, but it's a lot easier to do well when the rest of the players on the pitch are knackered, especially against a defence that's been up against it for the whole game.

I'd love to see Larsson try and do what Henry did last night.
    Addict wrote:
    Arsenal cheated. My allegiances don't matter at all.

If it was the other way about there's no way in hell you'd be banging on about Barca being horrible nasty cheaters. Or if arsenal players were waving imaginary yellow and red cards about you'd have something to say.

Incidentally, Arsenal played better with 10 men last night than MUFC did in 99 with 11, they just didn't get anywhere near as lucky.
    MoK wrote:
    The other interesting aspect, which seem to be ignored by the "Henry is World Class" is that in anoother big game he choked at the vital moment when he was one-on-one with the keeper. Regardless of the referee's decisions he should have buried it and the Arse would have been two up. He didn't score, they lost.

Henry should have scored. If he scored a hat-trick I'd imagine you'd still find something to argue your point because of your dislike for the man and the team he plays for. I'm not going to have this debate all over again, I still think he's 10 times the player RVN is, but we're never going to agree.

But the amount he did upfront was amazing when you consider he was on his own against a fantastic defence and I don't think it's an exageration to say Arsenal would have probably been beaten a lot more easily if Henry didn't keep so much of the play in the Barcelona third.

Could you imagine how much the cosh Arsenal would have been under if they had, say, Kanu as a lone striker?
  • Options
    I also love the comments from Lee Dixon this morning on 5Live when he said that it was on the "wrong side of the area" for Henry. Come on guys, he's supposed to be world class.
    Did you not listen to an Henry interview?? He said his legs were gone and he could hardly lift his leg to get any power on his shot, fair cop cos he did run his bollocks off as basically a midfielder.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    That's crap.

It's like saying a 100m runner is a better athelete than a 400m runner because he finished in 10 seconds. Not comparing like for like.

Fair enough. Henry did indeed have it tougher, but by his standards he didn't have a fantastic game. Nor did Ronaldinho but he still looked dangerous.

I'm not doubting Larss-hole did well when he came on, but it's a lot easier to do well when the rest of the players on the pitch are knackered, especially against a defence that's been up against it for the whole game.

I'd love to see Larsson try and do what Henry did last night.

Larsson can only play the game that's there to be played, and he did it fantastically. It's not easy playing against 10 men, sometimes it makes teams more resolute and they work harder as a collective defensive unit. For me, Larsson changed the game. He did exactly what Rijkaard wanted him to do and more. Brilliant way to sign off his club career.

Incidentally, Arsenal played better with 10 men last night than MUFC did in 99 with 11, they just didn't get anywhere near as lucky.

Luck doesn't exist.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Henry should have scored. If he scored a hat-trick I'd imagine you'd still find something to argue your point because of your dislike for the man and the team he plays for.

Geez, haven't we been there.

Firstly, if it was just about the team or the man then I wouldn't want Wenger as England coach and I wouldn't think that Shearer was World Class. It's not, I just think that the media hype him up too much.

Secondly, had he scored a hat-trick, I would have conceded the point about his class. Fact is, he choked again. Except this time it's everyone else's fault.
    I still think he's 10 times the player RVN is, but we're never going to agree.

With the way Ruud has been playing in the past few months, I don't think I'd disagree there ;)
    Arsenal would have probably been beaten a lot more easily if Henry didn't keep so much of the play in the Barcelona third.

Probably, possibly, maybe.

They would have won, if he'd done something which he seems to find easy against the likes of Middlesborough reserve defence and is lauded for. Or if he'd been Shearer.
    Could you imagine how much the cosh Arsenal would have been under if they had, say, Kanu as a lone striker?

I'm not the one who argues that Henry is world class. I also wouldn't say it about Kanu.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    I'm not going to have this debate all over again

...was the key point of that post ;)
  • Options
    Henry did run his ass off I'll admit that but after the first 20 mins he wasn't really in the game, everytime Ronaldinho got the ball you just knew he looked dangerous, made some great runs and terrific passes. He was far better than Henry and anyone who says otherwise is talking out of their arses.
  • Options
    Eboue dived for Arsenal's

No he didn't, stop spouting wazz.

It wasn't a foul, but you're the ref, you know that doesn't mean it was a dive.

And besides which, if we were going to book for every dive, Barca would have ended up forfeiting the match.

I still love the irony of a supporter of Manchester United stamping his feet about diving and cheating. That team would finish every game with 8 men if cheating was to be clamped down on- Ronaldo, Rooney, RvN, Saha and Giggs all go down faster than a Mackem lass on the Bigg Market.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Shame there's no Soccer AM tomorrow, coz Eboue would have definitely been in the Platoon edition. Possible the best dive this season...

And what a good camera angle!!
    Arsenal have got no one else to blame but themselves, considering how shit Barca played!!!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Of course it was. He wasn't touched and yet he went down pretending to have been fouled. How is that not a dive?
    I still love the irony of a supporter of Manchester United stamping his feet about diving and cheating.

At what point here have I been "stamping my feet"?

Read my comments again and you will find that I am dissing Henry's comments about the referee and his claims that Barca were diving all over the place. I think that the irony of his comments is great considering how Arsenal scored their only goal of the night...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Are you shitting me man? Of course it was a dive! Even my gooner mates are big enough to admit that it was a dive.

I still love the irony of a supporter of Manchester United stamping his feet about diving and cheating. That team would finish every game with 8 men if cheating was to be clamped down on- Ronaldo, Rooney, RvN, Saha and Giggs all go down faster than a Mackem lass on the Bigg Market.

You are clearly talking shite. I bet you can't provide any examples of diving by those players this past season.
  • Options
    I think henry's comments were wrong, I don't think the referee was biased, I just think he was incompetent. How he failed to spot that Eto'o was about six miles offside I don't know, and why he didn't give the advantage I'll never know either.

I don't think Eboue dived to be honest, but in no way was that a foul. But even if he did, it's not like Ronaldinho and Eto'o didn't spend most of the night rolling around like they'd been shot.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I think henry's comments were wrong, I don't think the referee was biased, I just think he was incompetent. How he failed to spot that Eto'o was about six miles offside I don't know, and why he didn't give the advantage I'll never know either.

I don't think Eboue dived to be honest, but in no way was that a foul. But even if he did, it's not like Ronaldinho and Eto'o didn't spend most of the night rolling around like they'd been shot.

Even if they had, it wasn't shown on camera that well, so no conclusive evidence.
    But Eboue's is so conclusive it's unreal!!

Also, the Eto'o goal was marginal and in that case the striker should get the benefit of the doubt. 6 miles!!!! Bollocks.
    And if he gave advantage in the first half, Arsenal would have been hammered royaly.

You lost, shit happens...there's always another season.
    :)
  • Options
    I lost? I'm a Bradford City fan, poppet.

Arsenal with ten men weren't "hammered royally", so how on earth would a full team have been?

Eboue didn't dive, but it wasn't a foul.

Eto'o was at least two yards offside, but it wasn't given. And Barcelona were also offside for at least one of the goals they did score.

You're not a bitter Spurs fan are you by any chance?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I lost? I'm a Bradford City fan, poppet.

Arsenal with ten men weren't "hammered royally", so how on earth would a full team have been?

Eboue didn't dive, but it wasn't a foul.

Eto'o was at least two yards offside, but it wasn't given. And Barcelona were also offside for at least one of the goals they did score.

You're not a bitter Spurs fan are you by any chance?

MY bad, Poppet.
    Thought you were a gooner. (easy mistake to make since you are acting like one ;))

If Barca's goal stood, Arsenal would have been hammered, just my gut feeling.
    Eboue DID dive and of course it wasn't a foul.

As far as offside, I thought we were talking about Eto'o's "second" goal (with the Larsson pass), I can't remember whether he was off side for the first one, was too busy watching Lehmann fouling. Shouldn't have been a red though.

No I am not a Spurs fan, thanks.
    I am a Liverpool fan. :yippe:
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    You are clearly talking shite. I bet you can't provide any examples of diving by those players this past season.
    Fucking hell, are you being serious??

If anyone watched every game scum played this year, you seriously saying that no-one would find an example of the likes of Ronaldo diving?? Delusional to say the very least.

Don't even know why I responded to that cos really couldn't give a fuck, it just gets me some of the tripe that gets spouted by scum fans.
  • Options
    Provide with examples of dives then. Go on.

And I mean a proper gooneresque dive i.e. no contact, and fall over.

Then I shall take on board your opinion.
  • Options
    What is the point?
    Every team has a player that will have at some point made a dive and thrown shame on his club...
    It's nothing new.

Surely we should seek a solution to this, like more consistent yellow carding and shit ...
    Maybe this will happen from next season.
  • Options
    This is true.

But I've seen Arsenal players fall over fuck all this year, in lots of games. Similar to Drogba and Robben. Pure blatant cheating. No contact. Ronaldo used to be like that too, but he's cut it out. He still draws fouls etc but he doesn't go over fresh air anymore.
  • Options
    Cant believe Arsenal have signed Tomas Rosicky, he is one of my fav players and think that he'll do very well at Arsenal.

For once ill be hoping Arsenal do well (except when they play my team) just because of Rosicky