Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How Old Were You When You Learnt To Drive?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    17. taken 5tests, still not passed :(
    What do you fail on? Same each time or not? Have you had many lessons and with who?
  • Options
    i started learning (read: was forced to take lessons against my will by my borderline alcholic parents who wanted me to drive them places when they're pissed) when i was 20, passed 3rd time when i was 21 and will have been driving 4 years in july

:eek:
  • Options
    I really learned about 2 weeks after I turned 15, though my older friends attempted to teach me when I was about 14 1/2... the stop sign by their house will prove I didn't learn much :p
  • Options
  • Options
    Can youngsters still get their provisional at the age of 16 or has it changed now?
  • Options
    17. taken 5tests, still not passed :(

I assume you meant failed the Theory 5 times??
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Started when I was 17, and hope to pass by this Christmas- when I'll be 18. Got my new car on Saturday, and been driving lots on Sat and Sun, was really good! And I drove my Mum to work last night-20 mins away in 30mins, so she was on time and in one piece- RESULT!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm sure I read somewhere/got told that when you're a learner you can't carry any passengers? (apart from when you're having lessons obviously)
  • Options
    Hear Hear. Most of my friends at school had their lessons and cars bought and paid for, which I really resented. (I still do).
    But if you were offered a car and driving lessons as a present like I was would you still say no, and why?
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    But if you were offered a car and driving lessons as a present like I was would you still say no, and why?

I'd personally say no. My reason? I'd prefer a bike/moped/scooter.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm sure I read somewhere/got told that when you're a learner you can't carry any passengers? (apart from when you're having lessons obviously)
    If that was true then my insurance wouldn't cover me, as:
    'If you want to practise your driving with an accompanying driver, the accompanying driver must be over the age of 21 and must have held (and still hold) a full licence for three years.'

http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/LearningToDriveOrRide/LearningToDriveOrRideArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4022661&chk=lsnFzn

Not sure about back passangers though, we drove past several police cars and didn't get pulled over or anything though.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I'd personally say no. My reason? I'd prefer a bike/moped/scooter.
    Ok, so replace the car and lessons in a car with a bike/moped/scooter then.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Learnt to drive? Like, 17 I took lessons. Haven't done test yet.

But I knew how to drive way before that. And had...
  • Options
    i started when i was 17 and passed about a year and a half later after 1 shit driving instructor who was shit and got sacked, a few months break, a new, lovely instructor and 3 tests!
  • Options
    I remember there used to be (maybe still is, who knows) what they called a farmers permit or something. If you lived on a farm you could get a provisional license at 14 that allowed you to drive within 15 miles of your farm. Something like that... I didn't really hang out with the farm kids so I dont know the details. But they all drove everywhere anyways. I was jelous :p
  • Options
    think farmers can still drive tractors and stuff underage in this country too, i remember a guy at school driving a tractor on his farm
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    think farmers can still drive tractors and stuff underage in this country too, i remember a guy at school driving a tractor on his farm

Thier licenses was for cars though also w/o an adult, had a provision on it that said only 1 other passenger was allowed though.

Though seeing tractors and such driving down the road always makes me laugh still.
  • Options
    Started when i was 18, passed theory and practical when i was 18 too first time. Got an old banger days later.
    I passed on April fools day!
    Been driving 8 years now eek! NOW i feel old.
  • Options
    Started learning at 17

Driving test at 18

44 lessons with instructor plus about 60 hours practice with my Dad

Passed first time :thumb:

Still can't park
  • Options
    i started learning mid summer holidays last year when i was 20. had about 12 or 13 lessons i think

took my theory test about july and passed first time, took practical test in september and passed first time.

yay
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I started lessons at 18 (the earliest you can around here). I passed the theory test on the first try and failed twice at driving, for the silliest reason ever (which was a result of nervousness). I haven't tried again in about 2 year now.
    I hope to succeed this summer.
  • Options
    I started at 18 passed my theory first time and have failed the practical test 5 times now. I havent driven in over a year, and I need to retake my theory! :grump:
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Fair enough if you pay for an old banger yourself!

My first car was an old banger, I loved it :D Was a D reg renault 5, lol

Thankfully I've bought (well still buying) myself a new car now :)
  • Options
    started lessons when a few months after my 16th and then passed first time after about 5 months learning :D

on isle of man the driving age is 16 .. not 17 like in UK which is good
  • Options
    i started lessons just before my 18th birthday, took two tests before moving to uni and failed them. i cant afford lessons anymore at uni, so they are on hold for now. theory doesnt run out until may next year so im hopin to pass before then
  • Options
    You can get a tractor license in the UK at 16.

I learnt to drive at 13 and spent 4 years driving round the tracks and fields in the car and tractor. Not too sure my tractor driving is up to much nowadays as it's been nearly 10 years since i've driven one.
  • Options
    Hear Hear. Most of my friends at school had their lessons and cars bought and paid for, which I really resented. (I still do).
    Why is it always girls as well? I don't know any 17/18 year old guy who's had their car bought for them by their parents. But two friends at work have a Ford Ka and a new Mini, two friends at uni had a Ford Ka and a Renault Clio, all brand new, my step sister has a car (fair enough, that's a bit of a shed, but still a car). All of them bought by their parents, or grandparents in the case of my sister. Do they just not want their precious little girl accepting lifts back off mean preditory boys?
  • Options
    I started lessons a week after I was 17, then passed my test first time 4 and a bit months later.
  • Options
    17, passed first time
  • Options
    i start my lessons in january so watch this space :P
    a few of my friends have already had a go in car parks. My bf wants to teach me the basics off road somewhere, which probably would be a good idea as i could save a few lessons
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i start my lessons in january so watch this space :P
    a few of my friends have already had a go in car parks. My bf wants to teach me the basics off road somewhere, which probably would be a good idea as i could save a few lessons

you'd save about half a lesson tops to be honest, theres not much you can learn off the road which will help you pass your test, except if your the sort of person that needs loads of confidence