Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

girl who got pregnant at 11

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've no idea, why? Something that affects you, or just being awkward as usual? ;)

"He`s here again...........the Man with the Child in his Eyes"

(with thanks to Kate Bush....if you are old enough to have heard of her, young lady :p )

Just being thoughtful (out loud) about your point of "Law", not that I have any time for someone`s violent opinion/The Law ;)

I was under the impression that someone under the age of 10 wasn`t deemed legally responsible for a crime.

I`ll now keep my proboscis out and let you get on with it
  • Options
    In that case maybe but not in all cases, and sometimes early sexual precociousness is a symptom of earlier child abuse, sometimes the parents, sometimes not. Sometimes it can be because they didnt get enough attention. Sometimes it could be because they desperatly feel they need something to love. Sometimes it might be because of the parents, but not necessarily the parents fault, ie with my friend whos mother was schizophrenic - it was very difficult for her to give her daughter much stability.

That's understandable. My mate had a really unstable upbringing and shes now carting round 2 kids. Well she was until Social Services took them away from her. But then I see people with unstable upbringings due to all kinds of reasons and they aren't getting themselves pregnant at 11. Or 13. Or even 16.

I think in this particular case that the OP has posted, it's a complete joke. An 11-year-old smoking, drinking, and getting pregnant, and the mother being proud. It's a fucking disgrace when people fight to have kids and can't.
  • Options
    the youngest person to ever give birth to a child was 5 years old. I didnt even know what sex was at that age.

Noo that can't be right surely? 5?
  • Options
    Yep, 5 year old Brazillian girl clicky. I remember seeing the story in the Times magazine when I was at work a while ago, it was her telling her story I think.
  • Options
    Yep, 5 year old Brazillian girl clicky. I remember seeing the story in the Times magazine when I was at work a while ago, it was her telling her story I think.

:shocking: :shocking: That is truely heartbreaking!
  • Options
    It doesnt even surprise me that an 12 year old girl has gotten pregnant, she's from West Lothian. I lived in West Lothian for over 10 years, i grew up their. Many a 15 year old girl got pregnant, sure it wasnt 11/12 but close enough. It's lost its shock value to me. I always thought it was a outrageous that so many 15 year olds where going out, having sex and getting pregnant, it'll never changed regardless of what they do.

As wrong as you might think of the mother to say shes proud of her daughter keeping it you can at least say it's good she'll have support from her mum/family shes going to need it thats for sure.

A smoking drinking 11 year old? I know of a lad who stays here where i stay who is younger than that and smokes and apparently sells drugs from what i hear. You think that 11 year old girl's shocking? You've seen nothing.
  • Options
    She's Peruvian not Brazilian :p
  • Options
    Oh well. There was a gap of a couple of hours between me reading that and posting the link.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    I was under the impression that someone under the age of 10 wasn`t deemed legally responsible for a crime.

No, but the eleven year old in your example would be.
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    A smoking drinking 11 year old? I know of a lad who stays here where i stay who is younger than that and smokes and apparently sells drugs from what i hear. You think that 11 year old girl's shocking? You've seen nothing.

True, the age of excess drinking,smoking and drug taking is getting lower and lower by the year. Ah well, not my fault!
  • Options
    yeah its shocking :no:

my twin little sisters are 11 and its reeeally odd and discomforting to imagine them with baby bumps :crazyeyes its just wrong
  • Options
    I can't believe some of the comments in this thread, especially this one -
    shitty council estate schools.

Disgusting attitude!

I know girls who have had sex at a very young age (11/12) and they were from very respectful homes where their parents DID teach them right, but guess what, do we all listen to what our parents think we are right when we were young?? Did we fuck!

And I know for a fact they both regret it now too.

I don't even want to start a proper rant on it because it's just too much stress for me right now
  • Options
    thats MY attitude about the school I WENT to. It WAS a shitty council estate school with shitty council estate kids who would actually take the piss and bully anyone who admitted they WERENT having sex by the time they were 12 -13. This was 16/17 years ago too, i dread to think what its like now. My mum had to take my best friend to the doctors for the MAP when she was 12 and I do think its a lot to do with the culture round that area and what your peers are doing which determines stuff like that.
    You can tell me its wrong to think the way I think about my own experiences, but I do think it makes a difference what school a kid goes to and what their peers are up to.
    I will never send my child to a council estate school, and I wish my mum had never sent me to one.
  • Options
    SCC - that's how I interpreted it. I think Cheese on toast has misinterpreted it, because it came across how you have just clarified up there ^^.
  • Options
    SCC - that's how I interpreted it. I think Cheese on toast has misinterpreted it, because it came across how you have just clarified up there ^^.

Yeah to me too, when you have strong views about something though its easy to misinterpret things on here.
  • Options
    I live on a council estate and I went to a council estate school. But my experience is completely different from yours, SCC. I don't think you can paint them all with the same brush. I know kids who went to supposedly 'good' schools who have ended up pregnant at a young age.

I live in Stockport which happens to have the highest teenage pregnancy rate in the country (from what I read, anyway...!)
  • Options
    i wouldnt tar them all with the same brush probably when it came down to it. Id check a school out and the atmosphere and what other kids seemed to be like before deciding. Im sure there are plenty of states which are lovely. I happened to live on the second largest housing estate in Europe (at the time - im not sure if it still is) and all it was full of, is what we would now call chavs, but there wasnt a name for them then. I never did fit in, and my school life was a fucking misery and I STILL have issues about it to this day and im nearly 30. I know this is going off topic now a bit, but it really does make a difference. My mum didnt put me on for my 11+ because she thought if youre clever, youll do well wherever you go, and didnt want me to have exam pressure at that age, but I could have easily got into a different school and I bet my experience would have been different.
    The only link to the original topic now I guess is that This girl probably didnt even stand a chance if she was living in a rough area where all her peers were smoking and having sex (because theres fuck all else to do) as opposed to a decent area with a different culture.
  • Options
    I live on a council estate and I went to a council estate school. But my experience is completely different from yours, SCC. I don't think you can paint them all with the same brush. I know kids who went to supposedly 'good' schools who have ended up pregnant at a young age.

I live in Stockport which happens to have the highest teenage pregnancy rate in the country (from what I read, anyway...!)

I went to one of the good schools in my town and I have to say there were less pregnancies than in the other schools. Make of that what you will.
    I don't think it has anything really to do with the school as such but there was little or no peer pressure at such a young age. Boys and girls were separated at my school until I was 14, not sure if thats a good thing or not.
    Obviously not all council estate schools are how SCC described hers but that was her experience and has affected her opinions, I'm sure I would be exactly the same.
  • Options
    OK sorry if I mis interrepted it, but I've never actually seen a school on a council estate just for the council estate? I don't understand, I assume you mean a school in a disadvantaged area?
  • Options
    i wouldnt tar them all with the same brush probably when it came down to it. Id check a school out and the atmosphere and what other kids seemed to be like before deciding. Im sure there are plenty of states which are lovely. I happened to live on the second largest housing estate in Europe (at the time - im not sure if it still is) and all it was full of, is what we would now call chavs, but there wasnt a name for them then. I never did fit in, and my school life was a fucking misery and I STILL have issues about it to this day and im nearly 30. I know this is going off topic now a bit, but it really does make a difference. My mum didnt put me on for my 11+ because she thought if youre clever, youll do well wherever you go, and didnt want me to have exam pressure at that age, but I could have easily got into a different school and I bet my experience would have been different.
    The only link to the original topic now I guess is that This girl probably didnt even stand a chance if she was living in a rough area where all her peers were smoking and having sex (because theres fuck all else to do) as opposed to a decent area with a different culture.

That's fair enough.

I see where you are coming from about peer pressure, but I still don't completely agree. I hung about on a council estate (I live ona council estate!!) with kids that didn't go to my school, and some of them were shagging about and smoking and drinking. But I was brought up knowing that was wrong - so I didn't do it.

I was brought up well by my Dad and I know the different between right and wrong. Some kids aren't brought up as well and they clearly have no guidance. I don't think it can all be blamed on peer pressure. I really do think the parents have a lot to answer for in MOST cases.

COT - I think SCC means she went to a state school that had a majority of pupils there from council estates. That's like my secondary school.
  • Options
    it's a mix of upbringing and common sense, it doesn't take much sense to know that sex can equal babies when you're 11
    even kids from well bought up families can go on the rebel, kids from council estates can turn out perfectly fine
    i've come from an old mining/market town thats been on the decline for the last 10 years since the pits closed, most of the kids here are not that well bought up, i've seen 8 year olds smoking and a toddler wondering round in a nappy telling people to fuck off - my friends were smoking when they were 10/11 and tried to pressure me into joining in.
    I think i've turned out alot better than most of the kids here.
    It's down to upbringing and the individual. You can't just blame one or the other.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    It's down to upbringing and the individual. You can't just blame one or the other.

With a good upbringing comes common sense. In most cases.

Like in any situation, you can't class everyone the same. It's a majority thing.
  • Options
    With a good upbringing comes common sense. In most cases.

Like in any situation, you can't class everyone the same. It's a majority thing.

Environment can be and often is more powerful than parental influence.

And lots of kids go through rebellious phases no matter what sort of upbringing they receive ... it only takes one night to get pregnant and I know my rebellious phase lasted longer than that.

I don't think you can pin it down to one cause its a mixture of things. Upbringing is just one element, albeit an important one.
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    I don't think you can pin it down to one cause its a mixture of things. Upbringing is just one element, albeit an important one.

Maybe so.

I just wanted to say I fucking love your signature, it made me laugh A LOT.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    I'm fairly sure its Trafford - along with the highest truancy - just from what I see from nipping to my local shopping centre :p

Haha!

Actually, according to bbc.co.uk in February 2006...

"Lambeth was identified as the area with the highest teenage pregnancy rate, with 104.9 pregnancies per 1,000 woman aged 15-17.

Blackpool came in second place, with 80.3 pregnancies per 1,000 women in the teenage age group."
  • Options
    I just wanted to say I fucking love your signature, it made me laugh A LOT.

:D yeah it made me giggle. Although possibly a signature including the phrase 'carnal drunken monkey sex' may result in me being taken less seriously in the politics and debate forum...
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    :D yeah it made me giggle. Although possibly a signature including the phrase 'carnal drunken monkey sex' may result in me being taken less seriously in the politics and debate forum...

Not by me, my pal! Haha :D
  • Options
  • Options
    This story is an utterly appalling indictment of the Britain that we live in today. The fact is, this girl should not have got pregnant. At the age of 11, she should not even be having sex. I sincerely hope that the justice system deals with this boy appropriately, and delivers more than a slap on the wrist for his crime. And before anyone tries to shout me down, for a 15-year old boy to have sex with an 11-year old girl is illegal, under any interpretation of the law.

What was interesting in this story was the amount of help being given to this girl from social services and other groups. It is safe to take a bet that ten years from now, this girl will be on benefits and will no doubt have had several more kids, probably from different fathers. What a damning indictment. Several questions must be asked. Why was she having sex at her age? Did she really have nothing else to do? And why has government policy failed the nation once again?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The fact is, this girl should not have got pregnant. At the age of 11, she should not even be having sex.

Ten out of ten for stating the bleeding obvious. :thumb: