Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

girl who got pregnant at 11

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i noticed when i went to france on a school trip when i was 11, the people would either be helpful or as awkward as possible because we could only speak a bit of the language. I felt incredibly cut off. Or it might have been cause we were kids...i dunno. But anyway, i'm going off topic :P
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i noticed when i went to france on a school trip when i was 11, the people would either be helpful or as awkward as possible because we could only speak a bit of the language. I felt incredibly cut off. Or it might have been cause we were kids...i dunno. But anyway, i'm going off topic :P

Well doh...

do you know lot of british people that speak french at 11!?!

I came to this country I had to speak english and never expected for anyone to speak french to me... that's how it goes when you go in an other country...
  • Options
    Well doh...

do you know lot of british people that speak french at 11!?!

I came to this country I had to speak english and never expected for anyone to speak french to me... that's how it goes when you go in an other country...

When I was 14 I went to france on an improve your french trip - which we were sent out to talk to french people - even when we were trying to speak french to them they just gave us blank looks.

Also I always try and speak french in france but 9 times out of 10 you get replied to in English which is so disheartening. Though i have to say after 7 years of learning french i must be improving a bit because this has been happening less recently.

However back on topic about girls being pregnant at 11 and it just being totally wrong
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    When I was 14 I went to france on an improve your french trip - which we were sent out to talk to french people - even when we were trying to speak french to them they just gave us blank looks.

Also I always try and speak french in france but 9 times out of 10 you get replied to in English which is so disheartening. Though i have to say after 7 years of learning french i must be improving a bit because this has been happening less recently.

However back on topic about girls being pregnant at 11 and it just being totally wrong

where in France?
  • Options
    where in France?

I've been going to france every year at least once since I was 2 (that 26 years!)so i'm not going to list everywhere - but I think that the learning french holiday when i was 14 was to brittany.

My mum speaks fluent french though and people still do it to her - occasionally you get people who reallyu appreciate the effort you've made - i've had some wicked conversations with random french people in french - but usually i've just drawn blank looks for my less than perfect (though pretty good compared to your average english person) french pronounciation.

However as we all know English people are generally really bad at learning other languages - everyone else in europe is sooo good its quite depressing.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    I've been going to france every year at least once since I was 2 (that 26 years!)so i'm not going to list everywhere - but I think that the learning french holiday when i was 14 was to brittany.

My mum speaks fluent french though and people still do it to her - occasionally you get people who reallyu appreciate the effort you've made - i've had some wicked conversations with random french people in french - but usually i've just drawn blank looks for my less than perfect (though pretty good compared to your average english person) french pronounciation.

When I came in this country and I tried to speak english I had exactly the same reaction to be honest, just like I had in Germany too... and some people still do it now, cos apparantly they don't get my accent or something...
    Wyetry wrote:
    However as we all know English people are generally really bad at learning other languages - everyone else in europe is sooo good its quite depressing.

Didn't know that... French aren't much better imo...
  • Options
    i mean even when we tried to speak french, we'd get funny looks. We'd only been learning french for a few months so we didn't really know alot. Some were really helpful, some just looked at us like we were flies.
    British folk are just as bad. I have a friend who moved here from Isreal at christmas, even though she couldn't speak english very well, she soon picked it up. But still got shit from boys (it was always guys) for having an asian accent. Makes you sick.
  • Options
    When I came in this country and I tried to speak english I had exactly the same reaction to be honest, just like I had in Germany too... and some people still do it now, cos apparantly they don't get my accent or something...

Didn't know that... French aren't much better imo...

Did they reply to you in french??
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Did they reply to you in french??

Nope... some people cos I'm french try to say what they can say in french, which is most of the time something that has nothing to do with the discussion... Frankly I don't get how people sometimes don't understand me when a 5 years old understand everything I say...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I was in Italy once, on a train, and the guy who checked tickets said something to me in italian. I don't speak italian, and I kindly informed him of that in english. He repeated the same thing, still in italian. I repeated too, and then he looked at me as if I had insulted his mother and said in english that wasn't so bad "If you come to Italy, you must speak italian."
    These kind of people annoy me like hell, no matter what the nationality/language.
  • Options
    I was in Italy once, on a train, and the guy who checked tickets said something to me in italian. I don't speak italian, and I kindly informed him of that in english. He repeated the same thing, still in italian. I repeated too, and then he looked at me as if I had insulted his mother and said in english that wasn't so bad "If you come to Italy, you must speak italian."
    These kind of people annoy me like hell, no matter what the nationality/language.

I hate that as well. Thankfully it was nowhere near as bad when I went to berlin for a few days last year. I remember buyng something and told the man that I didn't talk German. So when he asked me if I wanted a bag for my CD, he picked up the bag and tried imitating (is that even the right word?) what he was trying to ask me.
  • Options
    Comme Jim V pourrait indiquer, "séjour sur la matière dans le fil svp - commencez un autre fil au sujet de parler de l'anglais en France si vous voulez discuter cette issue. Si vous avez zéro à ajouter à cette issue puis veuillez n'essaye pas de dérailler autres discussions." :D
  • Options
    There's a joke which has been doing the rounds in Europe for about 15 years now:

What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?

Trilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?

Bilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks 1 language?

English.

:D