Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

girl who got pregnant at 11

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
here

i heard it this morning too, she was drunk and smokes 20 a day. She says she thinks she ready because she's had 'loads' of practice looking after kids.
The boy is 15 and is being charged with rape.

Pregnant at 11!!?? That's just shocking.

Comments

• Options
    aye that's some feat, wouldn't wanna be the baby......20 fags a day and she's ready for a kid? sounds like eedjut's logic to me...
  • Options
    Let's face it, it's hardly her fault. Blame the parents of each child. What parents knowingly let their kids smoke 20 fags a day? I guess the type that don't give a shit that their 11 year old is pregnant.
  • Options
    These things happen.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    There's just no emotional or even financial repercussions for kids these days (and to be fair at 11 thats exactly what she is - she's a child!)

I don't think anything can prepare you for looking after a baby (says me thats doesn't have one)

I can't understand it I really can't - they should play child birth videos in school - even just in an attempt to scare them senseless!

ETA: I just wonder how many others in the family have had children at a very young age? There's just no social standards these days!

IIRC, when I was ins econdary school, there was some sort of option to have a 'doll' which acts like a baby - cries, needs to be fed, sleeps, etc.
    She says she thinks she ready because she's had 'loads' of practice looking after kids.

She means she's used to sleepless night and the like? I seriously doubt it... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I didn't even have a fully functioning vagina at 11. Whatever happened to playing with my little ponies and going to the park to talk about how the cute boy in spelling class graded your paper. Kids have no childhood anymore. She's a decade away from being anything but a child and doesn't want to be one. Its horrifying.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I didn't even have a fully functioning vagina at 11. Whatever happened to playing with my little ponies and going to the park to talk about how the cute boy in spelling class graded your paper. Kids have no childhood anymore. She's a decade away from being anything but a child and doesn't want to be one. Its horrifying.

:yes: Wise words, couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Maybe a baby's the new thing you get to make yourself look older. It used to be cigarettes, and you were really the mutts nuts if you could get some alcohol. Nowadays, no less than a baby will do.
  • Options
    Let's face it, it's hardly her fault. Blame the parents of each child. What parents knowingly let their kids smoke 20 fags a day? I guess the type that don't give a shit that their 11 year old is pregnant.

It seems that way, But it wasn't like the parents forced their children to have sex is it? Obviously, the other way to look at it is that it is the parents fault because if she was educated well enough (could partly be school's fault I guess) on sex then she wouldn't have a baby now.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    It seems that way, But it wasn't like the parents forced their children to have sex is it?
    Well the law states that she is incapable of making her own decision on that (represented by the fact that the boy has been charged with rape). So yes, it is the parents fault.
  • Options
    Her 34-year-old mum was quoted in the paper as saying she was proud of her daughter.

Me and my mate were discussing it at work and saying if it was us, our parents would have hit the fucking roof and never come back down.
  • Options
    GAHHH. i got so angry at this. i dont think she is deserving of a child, she cares enough to smoke 20 a day whilst pregnant so who only knows how she will treat the child when its born. the child would be better with foster parents. what kind of life can she give it?! jesus, i get so riled at crap like this.

out of all the couples in my parents' circle of friends, only my parents were able to have kids. all their others friends tried for years without sucess, had IVF, and nowt happened. it tore them all apart. and some stupid wee school dropout drinking hooer is about to bring a life into the world. it really beggars belief.
  • Options
    paperdoll wrote:
    GAHHH. i got so angry at this. i dont think she is deserving of a child, she cares enough to smoke 20 a day whilst pregnant so who only knows how she will treat the child when its born. the child would be better with foster parents. what kind of life can she give it?! jesus, i get so riled at crap like this.

out of all the couples in my parents' circle of friends, only my parents were able to have kids. all their others friends tried for years without sucess, had IVF, and nowt happened. it tore them all apart. and some stupid wee school dropout drinking hooer is about to bring a life into the world. it really beggars belief.

:yes: :yes: :yes:
    Totally agree!
  • Options
    Her 34-year-old mum was quoted in the paper as saying she was proud of her daughter.

Me and my mate were discussing it at work and saying if it was us, our parents would have hit the fucking roof and never come back down.

My parents would probably react in exactly the same way as yours.

I'm slightly confused though:
    This topic was made on another board I post on and someone mentioned rape. He said something about how the boy would be charged with rape. But why would he be charged with rape? He didn't exactly (by the sounds of it) force her to sleep with him, did he?
  • Options
    Hardly any news stories are even reporting on the fact that carrying and giving birth at age 11 has huge health risks for both mother and child. I think her Mum is bound to say she's proud and I think she's proud more of how she's coping in terms of media interest rather than the fact that she's preggers at such a young age, my Mum would probably support me in the same way. Don't forget the obvious spin the newspapers put on it too.

As for the smoking thing, loads of pregnant women smoke (personally I disagree with that completely and think its pretty selfish) I don't think her age is really the issue with that.
  • Options
    well life is pretty unfair. Shes got a short sharp shock coming to her. Shes not the first 12 year old mother, and she wont be the last.
    Dont see what the debate is. I dont think anyones gonna say having babies at 12 is a fab idea.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    My parents would probably react in exactly the same way as yours.

I'm slightly confused though:
    This topic was made on another board I post on and someone mentioned rape. He said something about how the boy would be charged with rape. But why would he be charged with rape? He didn't exactly (by the sounds of it) force her to sleep with him, did he?

It would be rape because even if she wanted it its not seen as consent since she's a child.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    It seems that way, But it wasn't like the parents forced their children to have sex is it? Obviously, the other way to look at it is that it is the parents fault because if she was educated well enough (could partly be school's fault I guess) on sex then she wouldn't have a baby now.

Not nessesarily (sp?) she still could have done it. I went to school with a girl who got pregnant on purpose at 15.
  • Options
    her mother is proud that shes keeping the baby rather than terminating the pregnancy. cant say id feel the same way if it was my 11 year old, but if she doesnt believe in abortion shes bound to think that.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Not nessesarily (sp?) she still could have done it. I went to school with a girl who got pregnant on purpose at 15.
    me too, except she was 14, and there were a few having sex a lot younger than that. My best friend at school started having sex at 12, another friend of mine was even younger and used to have a lot of concern from the teacher even at primary school for coming in with love bites at age 9 and 10.

shitty council estate schools.
  • Options
    If you have sex with an eleven year old, it's statutory rape as they are considered too young to consent to sex.

So much more intelligent than my answer!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    The boy is not been charged with "Rape", he is been charged with "Unlawfull Sexual conduct" which in the eyes of the law is different. But what the law says on Rape has been done to death on some other thread.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    These things happen.
    yep. and at least she's taking on her responsibility and will hopefully give her child the best life she can (with help from her family no doubt).
  • Options
    If you have sex with an eleven year old, it's statutory rape as they are considered too young to consent to sex.

What if you have sex with an eleven year old,and you are 9 years old ?
  • Options
    shitty council estate schools.

I dunno if you can blame the schools. I blame the parents. In this case, anyway. Clearly her parents were paying for her drinking and smoking at 11 years old, it's not like she could even have a paper round. Unless she's stealing the money... and then, well, she has no morals and you learn morals from your parents.

So yeah, I blame the parents.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I dunno if you can blame the schools. I blame the parents. In this case, anyway. Clearly her parents were paying for her drinking and smoking at 11 years old, it's not like she could even have a paper round. Unless she's stealing the money... and then, well, she has no morals and you learn morals from your parents.

Agreed. You can't exactly expect school to teach s kid everything they need to know, can you?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    What if you have sex with an eleven year old,and you are 9 years old ?

then probably your parents would slap you but no charges would be brought.
  • Options

In that case maybe but not in all cases, and sometimes early sexual precociousness is a symptom of earlier child abuse, sometimes the parents, sometimes not. Sometimes it can be because they didnt get enough attention. Sometimes it could be because they desperatly feel they need something to love. Sometimes it might be because of the parents, but not necessarily the parents fault, ie with my friend whos mother was schizophrenic - it was very difficult for her to give her daughter much stability.