Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

issues with food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm emetophobic and recently i think my issues with food are getting worse.
I don't feel comfortable eating chicken anymore cause i worry its not cooked properly. My mum just made some and i was picking at it so she took my dinner off me and chucked it away. I don't really eat much of any other meat.
I'm always worrying i'm going to get a bug or something. My family don't seem to understand my problem. I don't know what to do.
I don't like eating out because i'm worried i'll get food poisioning. I don't even like eating infront of lots of people.
I really don't know how to try and get over this. Anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Options
    You say your parents don't understand your problem - have you actually explained your problem to them? And have you tried talking to your GP or school nurse about this?
  • Options
    if you don't like eating chicken, don't eat it. Veggie options are almost universal these days.

replace it with quorn and/or stuff like beans and pulses so you still get your protein, and bob's your uncle.
  • Options
    i've explained to my mum, but i don't think she really understands to what extent it is. i won't even attempt telling my dad, cause he doesn't really understand psycological problems
    i haven't spoken to anyone professional, i'll feel stupid
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i've explained to my mum, but i don't think she really understands to what extent it is. i won't even attempt telling my dad, cause he doesn't really understand psycological problems
    i haven't spoken to anyone professional, i'll feel stupid

Why would you feel stupid? Professional people won't judge you or laugh at you if you tell them what's wrong.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Why would you feel stupid? Professional people won't judge you or laugh at you if you tell them what's wrong.
    well i don't really know what they can offer
  • Options
    i can be a little bit like that, im fussy when it comes to re-heating food and usually cook everything loads longer than it needs to be just to make sure it really is cooked properly. as kaffrin said, if you're worried about chicked in particular then don't eat it. there are plenty of other options. things like pasta and veg- i guess its pretty hard to get food poisoning from them. if it really is becoming a problem though, then go to the doctors.
  • Options
    i would like to try the alternatives, but i feel selfish because it would mean doing something different just because of me - and i'm worried my dad will be funny about it
  • Options
    well, theres no reason why your whole family couldnt eat the alternatives too. im not suggesting you all completely change your meals but if there is a particular food you really dont want to eat, ask your parents if you could have something slightly different on those nights. or, on those nights, cook for yourself.
  • Options
    i don't know what "emetophobic" means. but heres my advice which i'm going to give you anyway... ;)
    GO VEGAN...
    doesn't involve eating meat, seafood or dairy - the only things which CAN give you food poisioning. - its healthy too, if you do it right.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    i don't know what "emetophobic" means.

Fear of being sick (or maybe sick in general) I believe?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Fear of being sick (or maybe sick in general) I believe?
    right. now i understand. and i stick to the advice i just gave. :)
  • Options
    Not up for a marathon roman feast at the chinese then? Ok, not helpful - sorry.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    GO VEGAN...
    doesn't involve eating meat, seafood or dairy - the only things which CAN give you food poisioning. - its healthy too, if you do it right.

firstly, that just isn't true. you can get food poisoning from most foods. rice in particular is a bastard for it.

secondly, if she doesn't want to inconvenience the family by just cutting out chicken, i doubt making them all go vegan will win any fans.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    firstly, that just isn't true. you can get food poisoning from most foods. rice in particular is a bastard for it.

secondly, if she doesn't want to inconvenience the family by just cutting out chicken, i doubt making them all go vegan will win any fans.
    why rice? i had some earlier, but it was the uncle bens microwave stuff :nervous:
  • Options
    Gedd-E-Lee wrote:
    You're paranoid. And a freak! :yippe:
    oh well, i asked for advice, not to be insulted
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    why rice? i had some earlier, but it was the uncle bens microwave stuff :nervous:
    it might be if you re-heat it?!
    not sure.
    i've personally leaned something new though if you can get food poisioning through other foodstuffs than meat, dairy and seafood... the irony is i've said that to people before and nobody has diputed it... now i feel guilty and mis-informed. - reheating food though is never a good idea anyway...
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    it might be if you re-heat it?!
    not sure.
    i've personally leaned something new though if you can get food poisioning through other foodstuffs than meat, dairy and seafood... the irony is i've said that to people before and nobody has diputed it... now i feel guilty and mis-informed. - reheating food though is never a good idea anyway...
    i remember my food teacher saying something about rice being dangerous if you re-heat it
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    My sister is just as picky, and I just tell her to get over it. Not really very helpful. sorry.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i remember my food teacher saying something about rice being dangerous if you re-heat it

I've personally never had any problems with rice (or any other food) after re-heating it.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I've personally never had any problems with rice (or any other food) after re-heating it.
    i don't think i have either....as far as i know, it's difficult to say what causes sickness anyway
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

that'll be fine.

the danger is if you cook rice, and then leave it out at room temperature too long (a few hours or more). spores can form that aren't killed by heating.
  • Options
    Smoke some weed?
  • Options
    you need to realise that you're being quite irrational and get over it because it could all just spiral into a problem like an eating disorder or something.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    you need to realise that you're being quite irrational and get over it because it could all just spiral into a problem like an eating disorder or something.
    easier said than done tbh, you can't just 'get over it' if i could then i would
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    easier said than done tbh, you can't just 'get over it' if i could then i would
    i disagree! theres loadsa times when i've been irrational about things and its realising you are and then stopping yourself which is the key. i've had problems with food before, thinking meat is disgusting etc. and in other areas of my life.
    control your thoughts, don't let them control you.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i disagree! theres loadsa times when i've been irrational about things and its realising you are and then stopping yourself which is the key. i've had problems with food before, thinking meat is disgusting etc. and in other areas of my life.
    control your thoughts, don't let them control you.
    different for everyone though isn't it? phobias aren't easy to get over
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    different for everyone though isn't it? phobias aren't easy to get over
    i thought you was talking about your issues with food not your phobia?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i've had problems with food before, thinking meat is disgusting etc.
    i don't see "thinking meat is gross" as being a problem with food tbh.
    i'm sure nearly all the vegetarians and vegans in the world would think similar. :p
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    i don't see "thinking meat is gross" as being a problem with food tbh.
    i'm sure nearly all the vegetarians and vegans in the world would think similar. :p
    im not a vegetarian or vegan so i found it to be a problem because i had normally enjoyed meat.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i thought you was talking about your issues with food not your phobia?
    well they kinda go hand in hand