Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Steve McLaren confirmed as next England manager

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4969592.stm

Could do worse I guess...

If no foreigner could be found it'd have to have been between him and Big Sam IMO.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wish him good luck. I think he'll regret it. :)
  • Options
    So do I, but he's the best Englishman for the job I suppose...
  • Options
    Thank fuck it isn't Allardyce.
  • Options
    was hoping for big sam
  • Options
    Someone has to.

We made that fat tosser cry in 1996. Still my sweetest football memory.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    I wish him good luck. I think he'll regret it. :)

Same here; he was most definitely well warned [off].
  • Options
    film_buff wrote:
    was hoping for big sam

He never had a chance, The FA like people they can push around and won't embarrass them. They don't include themselves obviously, bunch of fucking jobsworths.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    He never had a chance, The FA like people they can push around and won't embarrass them.
    The reason Clough never got it. And the reason Scolari didn't accept.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    The FA like people they can push around and won't embarrass them.

I'd definitely agree with that.

I'd just rather have Chris Kamara as England manager than that Brummie long-ball-merchant gobshite.
  • Options
    Intersting that Wenger wasn't approached. Think David Dean had anything to do with that? I wouldn't have minded a foreign coach, as long as they were an English-based coach, rather than someone coming from a foreign league, and imposing their style of play on the English players. And if Wenger had been given the job, then that would've left a position at one of the big clubs, possibly for a young English manager.
  • Options
    And if Wenger had been given the job, then that would've left a position at one of the big clubs, possibly for a young English manager.

Arsenal would have replaced him with a European manager.

I wasn't saying I thought Allardyce should have got it, just Mclaren is a dull cunt and big sam would have been more entertaining.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    I wasn't saying I thought Allardyce should have got it, just Mclaren is a dull cunt and big sam would have been more entertaining.
    Oh if we're going for entertaining, then I would have to have Neil Warnock. Can't wait for his interviews on Match of the Day next season.
  • Options
    Intersting that Wenger wasn't approached. Think David Dean had anything to do with that?

He was approached, and for some unfathomable reason he didn't want to take on a job where all you ever get is abuse. Eriksson is one of England's most successful managers ever, but he's been hounded out of his job for daring to shag Ulrika Jonsson and say that Michael Owen perhaps sees Newcastle United as a big step backwards in his career from Real Madrid. I mean, sure, he has shite taste in women, but big deal.

I can't think why the top coaches don't want to take the England job on, but I suspect the reason starts with the letter N and ends in ews of the World.

Already the Murdoch gutter press are getting their kicks in, dragging up an old story about an affair McLaren had when he was separated from his wife, and you wonder why the world's top coaches don't want to touch that job with a barge-pole?

I actually feel sorry for the FA- nobody with any sense would want that job because of this country's disgusting media.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I actually feel sorry for the FA- nobody with any sense would want that job because of this country's disgusting media.

They're only disgusting when it suits though eh?
  • Options
    BBBloodBBBlood Deactivated Posts: 18 Settling in
    Aladdin wrote:

Could be worse but could do better.

Steve McLaren totally lacks ambition and If I remember correctly M'boro were playing against Liverpool in the league this year at home and he was quoted as telling the team "I'd love to draw against Liverpool" what on earth is that about? I cannot see him as a good man motivator and that's what England needs the most.

Plus the FA didn't listen to me when I was outside Soho Sq drunk shouting at the FA building "Don't Pick Mclaren!".

Bastardos! :mad:
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    They're only disgusting when it suits though eh?

No, they're pretty consistently disgusting.

And they are pro-United too.

Having seen his inspired substitutions this evening I fear for England, but I maintain he's still better than the other English candidates.

Which is why Hiddink should be manager.
  • Options
    *ignores humourous "Media loves United" comment from kermit.
    Kermit wrote:
    Having seen his inspired substitutions this evening I fear for England

He went for the game, didn't sit back and used tactics which worked for him in the previous two rounds. I'd say that what he did was bold, though personally I would have taken Jimmy the Waster off...
    Which is why Hiddink should be manager.

have a feeling that I said this at the start. He was the best option and the FA should have spoken to him early on... that said, I don't think he would have taken it thanks to our lovely media pukes.
  • Options
    How about, instead of bowing to tabloid pressure and letting a man go for reasons that had absolutely fuck all to do with his job (as it's too often the case in this country), the FA kept Eriksson for at least another year and give themselves a little more time to find a suitable replacement?

Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger come to mind. There is a good chance one or even both of them would be available this time next year. And a fair number of quality candidates from abroad would have emerged as well, no doubt.
  • Options
    Fergie would never do it. He once said that he could never look his countrymen in the face if he led out an England team against Scotland...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Alex Ferguson

What nationality is Fergie?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    How about, instead of bowing to tabloid pressure and letting a man go for reasons that had absolutely fuck all to do with his job (as it's too often the case in this country), the FA kept Eriksson for at least another year and give themselves a little more time to find a suitable replacement?

I think the fact Sven is offski after the WC might be of benefit.

To be honest, this is England's best chance they'll ever have to win the World Cup, and I think judging by the squad Sven picked that he's thinking outside the box - he doesn't have to give a shit what the tabloid media think because he's off in the summer anyway so the pressure on him personally won't be what it could have been.

McClaren bottled it last night by going all out attack far too early and panicking.

I could see a case for Wenger, but Ferguson should have retired 23 years ago today IMHO :yes:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What nationality is Fergie?
    Well perhaps a Scott in charge of England would do wonders for relations between the two countries.

Or then again perhaps not :D
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    I could see a case for Wenger, but Ferguson should have retired 23 years ago today IMHO :yes:
    Gotta agree there. He still has Utd playing nice, attractive football, but they're nothing they once were. That and his high profile fallings out with the likes of Stam, Beckham and most recently van Nistelrooy are getting him dangerously close to a Graham Souness' level of starting fights in an empty room. Sven's problem is the complete opposite. That his teams seem to be based around keeping his biggest players happy. The best managers aren't afraid to drop any player, but not just to make a point, it's always based on how the player is playing (e.g. Big Phil dropping Figo in Euro 2004 - that was a fair substitution, and Figo knew it, so next match he played his socks of to earn his place in the team again).
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Ferguson should have retired 23 years ago today IMHO :yes:

I don't see how Fergie leaving United will benefit the team, he is still the best man for the job as I have no idea who could possibly replace him.

Cue calls of Martin O'neil, hes won a few trophys in a two horse race, Fabio Cappello? I don't think he would suit Uniteds style. Sven? Fuck off!.

Even though Fergie has made some very strange decisions and some of what he says makes me think he should be in an asylum, there is nobody else better or even equal to him.

I think United have done quite well this season considering we've had no midfield, two or three good signings this summer and I think we'll have a really good crack at the league next season. In the end it all comes down to how much money the Glazers will make available.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    I think United have done quite well this season considering we've had no midfield, two or three good signings this summer and I think we'll have a really good crack at the league next season.
    Who's fault's that though? Everyone could see that Keane wasn't going to last much longer, and Scholes hasn't been performing for a while now. And the players Fergie has brought in just aren't up to scratch. What makes you think that this summers signings will be any better than Veron or Kleberson or Djemba-Djemba? Utd no longer have the financial muscle to compete with Chelsea, and the academy doesn't seem to be producing them like it used to, so the only other option is to find players no-one else knows about, like Arsenal seem to, and develop them. But I think Liverpool have proved what can be done on a (comparatively) limited budget, with the right manager.
  • Options
    Who's fault's that though? Everyone could see that Keane wasn't going to last much longer, and Scholes hasn't been performing for a while now. And the players Fergie has brought in just aren't up to scratch. What makes you think that this summers signings will be any better than Veron or Kleberson or Djemba-Djemba? Utd no longer have the financial muscle to compete with Chelsea, and the academy doesn't seem to be producing them like it used to, so the only other option is to find players no-one else knows about, like Arsenal seem to, and develop them. But I think Liverpool have proved what can be done on a (comparatively) limited budget, with the right manager.

Problem is though replacing Keane and Scholes is very hard, I would say its impossible to replace players of that calibre they don't exist.

I agree that Kleb and Djemba were shite signings and I do wonder what Fergie was thinking of. Veron was a different story he seemed a top class player until he signed for us, he just didn't suit the English game imo.

We may not be able to compete with Chelsea financially but they can't buy everyone. I'll also point out that for every player Wenger has signed that has done well they've bought 3/4 flops. You could say the same about Fergie, ie Van Nistellrooy, Ronaldo, Heinze, Van dar Sar being some of the good signings hes made recently. I just feel we have the makings of a very good team with a couple of additions and I don't see how anyone can write Fergie off.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    We may not be able to compete with Chelsea financially but they can't buy everyone.
    Just watch them. :D They do seem to take an interest in anyone Utd are after. Robben, Essien, now Ballack.
  • Options
    I don't see how anyone can right Fergie off really, he's achieved lots in his years and I agree with a few good signings you could challenge for the title next year. I do believe though if another year or 2 of relatively unsuccessfull campaigns I believe it will probably be time for him to go.

I think it was time for Keane to go, he was losing it anyway. I also think horsehead should be gotten rid of, but thats only cos I don't want the cheating scumbag in the Premiership. I think the biggest high profile mistake was getting rid of Beckham, I think u've dis-agreed with me on that before godscop but I think it was a big mistake.
  • Options
    Ruud seen leaving United
  • Options
    Just watch them. :D They do seem to take an interest in anyone Utd are after. Robben, Essien, now Ballack.

They're quality players though, most teams would be intrested, I don't think Ballack is anywhere near Keane at his best.

Also I only want players who really want to play for United and won't just join the team who pays the highest wages.
    I think it was time for Keane to go, he was losing it anyway. I also think horsehead should be gotten rid of, but thats only cos I don't want the cheating scumbag in the Premiership. I think the biggest high profile mistake was getting rid of Beckham, I think u've dis-agreed with me on that before godscop but I think it was a big mistake.

Problems arose between Keane and Fergie, its a shame it ended that way because Keane is a United legend but I don't think its any coincidence that the team started playing better when Keane left.

Its another shame that Ruud is leaving in this way, but I don't think hes as good as he was. According to things I've heard RVN was looking for a move last summer and Fergie has wanted rid of him for the last 6 months, I hope he does well where ever he goes.

IMO selling Beckham was the right thing to do, I've never once thought of it as a bad decision, I don't think the team has ever missed him and the hype that surrounds him (and all the baggage) far outweighs his talents.