Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

stopped and searched under the terrorism act

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    NQA wrote:
    I don't either - which is why for the third time I mention that Franklin was talking bollocks.

The fact is that being selective about the freedoms we believe in doesn't mean that we're anti-liberty, but I don't think it hurts to acknowledge the fact.

It seems you are also being selective about who carries a gun.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    It seems you are also being selective about who carries a gun.

Yep, you're right.
  • Options
    How does your selection process work ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    How does your selection process work ?

Here's a good place to start

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Jobseekers/

Ignore the civil servants - wouldn't trust most of MoD with a water pistol.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Here's a good place to start

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Jobseekers/

Ignore the civil servants - wouldn't trust most of MoD with a water pistol.

So you get to carry a gun if you wear a uniform :chin:
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    So you get to carry a gun if you wear a uniform :chin:

Er, no
  • Options
    Well then there is some part of YOUR selection process for gun carriers that I`m missing.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Well then there is some part of YOUR selection process for gun carriers that I`m missing.

Hradly my fault that your unable to understand, but here's a clue; nurses wear uniforms, so do traffic wardens, gosh so do staff at MacDonalds...
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Hradly my fault that your unable to understand, but here's a clue; nurses wear uniforms, so do traffic wardens, gosh so do staff at MacDonalds...

It might be a good idea to back up to square one. How about 2 lists YES and NO ?

We already have a number of people in your NO list, but I still haven`t seen something that they have in common that would eliminate them from the YES list. Care to help ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Care to help ?

No, but keep guessing. I'm on my own tonight so I could do with some amusement.
  • Options
    There is one problem with banning guns: criminals dont obey the law. Its kinda in the job description. There's something fundamentally wrong if only criminals are running around with weapons.
  • Options
    One person's cop/soldier is another person's "criminal".

The smartest criminals join the police forces anyways so they can kill with impunity more often than not.

[edited to add: those that dont have the means or interest to enter government itself, mind you.]
  • Options
    One person's cop/soldier is another person's "criminal".

The smartest criminals join the police forces anyways so they can kill with impunity more often than not.

[edited to add: those that dont have the means or interest to enter government itself, mind you.]
    where will it all end then clan?

where do we go?

what do we do?

our life it seems is controlled by criminals,what can we do about it?
  • Options
    Mad Mac wrote:
    where will it all end then clan?

where do we go?

what do we do?

our life it seems is controlled by criminals,what can we do about it?

Nothing at all. You get the government you deserve.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    Nothing at all. You get the government you deserve.
    when did that ever happen?
    governments put my grandfather and my fathers generation ...through the two most horrific wars this world ever saw.
    they desrved that?
    governments damage many people with their misplaced ideas.
  • Options
    when did that ever happen?
    governments put my grandfather and my fathers generation ...through the two most horrific wars this world ever saw.
    they desrved that?
    governments damage many people with their misplaced ideas.

Which governments are we talking about? Germany or the UK? Because the far right of Germany, who wanted a return to autocratic rule and racist home policies scored an overall majority in the elections of 1933 and 1934. The simpering by the British public to Germany in the post war period gave Hitler a free hand up to and including the annexation of Czechoslovakia, what was left of it after we stabbed them in the back in the 1938 Munich Conference. Communism was the bigger threat, as was made very clear at every level of society and using racist autocrats to defend against it (like in Poland) was perfectly acceptable policy.
  • Options
    Actually Cain, the far right (if by that you mean the Nazi's) never actually had more than 38% of the vote. Moreover, most conservative groups like the industrialists and monarchists and other nationalist parties/groups (including the Wehrmacht) had always opposed the Republic. It had been purposely left to Social Democrats to establish the conditions/framework of the Republic alone and thus take the blame for it when it failed.

If not for the age and fatigue of Hindenberg and the backroom deals that became regular events under his watch, Hitler never would have been chancellor, nor the Nazis more than a minority party.

Just as we see in America today (SC circumvention of electoral accountability in 2000 and documented vote rigging in 2004), it was backroom connivance and circumvention of legitimate transparent electoral process that imposed the government of that era on the German people. Also as with the present day, it was the industrialists and military of that era (like today) who helped to ensure the destruction of Germany's democratic framework and make Hitler's consolidation of power a reality.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    Which governments are we talking about? Germany or the UK? .
    any government you wish.
    my reply was in answer to this ...You get the government you deserve.
    when ever did that happen was my question.