Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Klintock and Nihilism

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    good idead ...now we need a creative sig writer and he'll be right as rain.
    i think drugs should be legalised ...i'm thinking of putting that in every thread in every topic until someone writes him one up!
    Sounds good to me. I'm afraid I don't really have a political agenda [aside - does a political agenda even exist?] that I can think of to promote in every thread....
  • Options
    Klintock is right in that the ideas represented by things are not physically real

Take a government for example, The only reason it exists is because in people's minds we choose to beleive it, The idea behind a government is nothing more than an idea! It is a made up idea that people then follow in thier minds and hence the idea is upheld as a physical manifestation of people holding jobs in a structure that adheres to the idea. Idea being the key word here.

I'm not denying we have a government or anything like that but what I am saying is we onyl have them because we all go along with the idea of having one!
  • Options
    Yes, but its hardly news is it? I think most people have worked that out by the time they enter their teens.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes, but its hardly news is it? I think most people have worked that out by the time they enter their teens.

So why does everyone have a go at klintock, why not jsut ignore him?
  • Options
    I've had him on ignore for a while.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

i think the point is that every just accepts it. Why should these ppl have control over us (anyone).. when as gavman said, they are nothing.... its just a word for their position, the power they have only exists because ppl dont question it.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Or - and here's a controversial idea - the power they have exists because we vote for them and accept them as having the legitimacy to govern us?

nope i didnt vote for anyone to control me?

all the ppl that are in the house of lords etc.. i didnt vote for them...

i didnt vote for the ppl working at the inland revenue who charge me money for nothing?

did u?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    i think the point is that every just accepts it. Why should these ppl have control over us (anyone).. when as gavman said, they are nothing.... its just a word for their position, the power they have only exists because ppl dont question it.

But klintock offers no solutions, bar "stop believing in them" which is as useful as a chocolate fireguard - its like he's about 15 years old and has only just discovered thinking for himself. Its bizarre.
  • Options
    Gavman wrote:
    So why does everyone have a go at klintock, why not jsut ignore him?
    Possibly because he's the one who chooses to butt into every thread no matter what subject is being discussed, wait for someone to mention a country, ask "what country would that be?" and start yet another 10-page derailment trying to convince us that countries "don't exist".

I think it was the frequency of such interruptions rather than the idea itself that got a bit exhausting.
  • Options
    Klintocks problem is that he fails to recognize that humans will make abstract concepts a reality. He doesn't believe that these concepts can become a reality because they aren't a physical entity.
  • Options
    Its just facile bollocks isn't it? It presents no analysis, no solutions, nothing.
  • Options
    I vote in elections, yes. I don't feel that anyone is controlling me, anyway. Admittedly the House of Lords is an anomaly and I accept that that institution is highly undemocratic,

You didn't vote for the people who work at the Inland Revenue - but you have the power to vote for the government who determine levels of taxation. And you're not charged money for nothing, you're charged money for services like the NHS, schools etc.

OK then.. what if the ppl i vote for don't get into power, i'll govern myself then shall I? Seeing as I didn't vote for them, I shouldn't have to play by their rules.

What if the ppl I vote for get into power but then turn shit after 6 months... Governments are generally a complete farse for certain ppl to get power and assume they know what's best for everyone, and they exist because we are basically powerless on our own (funny that ppl think the people are in control in a democracy ;p)
  • Options
    i actualy like and agree with some of klints thinking but ...he's buried me in it!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    :yes: ditto this.

I also completely disagree with a lot of what he says, but I still like to read it and he always makes me think.

What do you disagree with ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    What do you disagree with ?
    i think he's been trying to convince klint that klint doesn't realy exist ...it's just a chemical splish splosh thing going on in a bone box.
    theres not realy 'anyone' in the bone box ...it's not even in his imagination as he doesn't believe there is anyone in there to have an imagination.
    splish splosh ...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Klintock believes nothing but the individual exists. Countries don't exist. Cities don't exist. Towns don't exist. Workers don't exist. People don't exist. Armies don't exist. Political parties don't exist.
    I think Klintock's views do have some merit. To an extent, he is right to point out that countries don't exist. After all, we don't have these huge walls constructed that formally show us where one country starts and one country ends, do we? Perhaps the only reason we have countries is because, if the world was just one place with one name, it would be a bit confusing. If China didn't exist, if it was just part of the rock, how would you point out where it was? "Oh, it's that bit of rock there... no, further to the east... no, you're in the middle of the sea now, you idiot... now you're just taking the piss...". And that wouldn't help at all! :p
  • Options
    If we didn't have organised countries, governments and such we would just be savage animals. It isn't exactly an ideal situation but it's still better than being cave men.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I think Klintock's views do have some merit. To an extent, he is right to point out that countries don't exist. After all, we don't have these huge walls constructed that formally show us where one country starts and one country ends, do we? Perhaps the only reason we have countries is because, if the world was just one place with one name, it would be a bit confusing. If China didn't exist, if it was just part of the rock, how would you point out where it was? "Oh, it's that bit of rock there... no, further to the east... no, you're in the middle of the sea now, you idiot... now you're just taking the piss...". And that wouldn't help at all! :p
    stop it already!
  • Options
    stop it already!
    Klintock's views are usually decipherable. Yours are just hidden in the million or so dots in each of your posts. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Klintock's views are usually decipherable. Yours are just hidden in the million or so dots in each of your posts. :p
    i've tried stopping ...i've tried cutting down ...it would seem ...i'm suffering from dot obsessive disorder.
  • Options
    i've tried stopping ...i've tried cutting down ...it would seem ...i'm suffering from dot obsessive disorder.
    Don't worry about it. I sometimes use dots too... see, just did it there. It usually means I can't think of anything more to say, or that I'm just thinking out loud. I salute the dot, and its many, many uses.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    , It usually means I can't think of anything more to say, .
    i think my fingers take a breather now and again ...to give my brain a pause.
  • Options
    i think my fingers take a breather now and again ...to give my brain a pause.
    I just type too quickly nowadays. Must... slow... down... typing... must... preserve... energy...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I do it to make it seem more like speech... you know when you leave a little pause in a sentence? That is what hte dots are to me.

Just a breather. A pause... to let what you are saying sink in.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I .

Just a breather. A pause... to let what you are saying sink in.
    yeah ...i have to make sure ...i ...understand the last two words i typed.
  • Options
    yeah ...i have to make sure ...i ...understand the last two words i typed.
    Breathing... maybe we could get Kermit to try that the next time he rants about the BBC. :p
  • Options
    The technical term is an 'ellipsis'...and I like them too.